Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good ideas on how to prepare chicken drums/thighs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good ideas on how to prepare chicken drums/thighs?

I'm rather new to cooking when it comes to meats, especially in a "Primal" manner. (At home, I know of many chicken dishes we make, but all the ones I remember right now include grain of some sort.) My current kitchen supply is somewhat lacking too (yay poor college student). Any ideas?

For reference, I have onion, bell pepper, garlic, carrots, broccoli, and tomato available for use, as well as thyme and a variety of other spices. As for dishes, I'm unsure whether there is a deep-enough dish to use for oven baking. I'd have to check...
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

I cut up the chicken, throw some chilli powder, onion, jalapeno peppers and cook that all in some bacon grease. I then throw it on a plate with some lettuce, tomato, sour cream, cheese, and salsa or hot sauce. Sort of a Mexican Salad...

Comment

We grill our chickens, so you have access to a grill?
      For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

I normally smoke or grill them but in a pinch use a baking dish and Cajun seasoning some butter and bake 'em for 45 min or so on 350.

Comment

coat them in olive oil, fresh garlic, juice and zest of one lemon, and fresh rosemary. Allow to marinate for about an hour, grill on a low flame to avoid blackening from the flare ups. Delicious, and full of flavor

Comment

I think this recipe came from MDA

I stuff the chicken with cut up apples and smear the outside in bacon fat. Bake at 420 for 45-1hr.
            sigpic

Comment

I have been on a chicken drumstick binge. In the switch to pastured organic chicken, they are the cheapest cut. Recently, I've tried, bacon wrapped chicken grilled, oven fried chicken with an almond flour, dry rub in the crockpot or oven, and simmered in a no sugar barbecue sauce. The recipes are on my blog: http://amoderngal.com/2010/07/19/simmered-drumsticks/

Comment

Chicken with 40 cloves. Sear the chicken pieces(skin on), put into a baking dish with the fat of your choice filling the dish halfway up the chicken parts. Add 20- 100 cloves of peeled garlic, Bake at 400*F until chicken is done (approx 1.5 hrs.)
                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                My Latest Journal

Comment

Well, I went searching and found this page. I decided to roll with it because I have very little in the way of other stuff to use at the moment (for instance, no lemons/lemon juice). In addition to the salt and pepper mixture, I added some thyme and shredded coconut. I'm eating it right now and holy crap is it delicious.
                  Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
                  -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

http://eatthecookie.wordpress.com/20...grillins-easy/

here is my favorite recipe for grillin chix! lemon & thyme stuffed under the skin makes them juicy.. well that and the fatty, crispy skin! yumsville!

Comment

I just came across an awesome recipe in the PB Cookbook! I am going to buy me some chicken thighs and make it!
                      Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

I love jerk seasoning them, (if you buy jerk seasoning make sure theres no msg in it) otherwise its pretty easy to make and having it with salad or roasted veg or both.

Comment

With what you have there, I'd go: brown your chicken pieces (no need to cook through) with salt and pepper in butter or bacon grease or whatever. Butter might be best. Take the chicken out, cook the peppers and onions (maybe the carrots would be good here too, not sure) in the pan until softening and delicious looking. Add a good amount of liquid (water would work, a combo of wine and broth would be best), then scrape up the crusted stuff on the bottom of the pan to dissolve. Add the chicken back in, and then add the thyme and tomatoess, and simmer until the liquid reduces to a sauce thickness. You could add heavy cream at the very end if you so desired. Enjoy!

Comment

I made "thai thighs" a cpl weeks ago. I mixed red curry paste with ginger, garlic, sriracha, sesame oil & marinated for a cpl hrs. bake with coconut oil & sliced onions @ 350-ish... Those were just things I always have on hand...

Comment

Yep, the best way (IMHO) is to do the following: In a cast iron skillet throw some rub on them or salt and pepper (whatever spices you like) and saute them in butter (or olive oil if you are dairy free) on both sides until brown. Then put in oven at 350 for 40-50 minutes. It's the best way to crisp the skin and cook the meat. Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                              X