Found my pasta substitute!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found my pasta substitute!!!

As an ex-pasta freak, it's been a bit hard leaving it behind.
    Happy days are here again though as I've found a substitue for pasta that even LOOKS the real deal!! I got the idea from a TV ad (of all places!!!!) that had a mum cooking carrot pasta for her kids, which was just strips of carrot peeled off with a peeler. I'd tried that on my kids but no joy there.
    HOWEVER.... the idea came to me that I can use PARSNIP instead!!!
    PERFECT!!
    So tonights dinner was a bed of baby spinach, fried bacon and cherry tomatoes, steamed broccoli and carrot and snow peas, and THEN... topped with stripped parsnip fried off in the bacon pan with garlic, cream, thyme and parsley!!! Bloody yum!!!

Thanks for listening!!

I don't think I've ever had parsnips in anything other than stew. So, you peel it off with a potato peeler and then fry it? I'm willing to give that a try!

Comment

I never would have thought of that, interesting.
      Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

Yep, DragonMamma - just use the potato peeler. Fry in the bacon pan and then smoother in cream with whatever flavourings take your fancy!!!
        Let me know what combo's you come up with!!!

Comment

Grass fed beef is my pasta subsitute.

Comment

Pics or it didn't happen. :-)
            sigpic

Comment

Is that kind of like hashbrowns basically?

Comment

Awesome. Parsnip strips in bacon fat. Oooooh, baby! I will be using this one!

Comment

We did zucchini noodles tonight. I used a julienne slicer to get spaghetti-like strands. Kids and I really liked it.
                  Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
                  http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
                  Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Comment

I"m liking this idea! Going to have to peel a lot of parsnip though I expect.

Comment

Originally posted by LessofMimi View Post
                      We did zucchini noodles tonight. I used a julienne slicer to get spaghetti-like strands. Kids and I really liked it.
                      Oooh, I have several zucchinis and yellow squash from my garden and am so tired of eating them roasted - I think I will give that a try tonight.

How did you cook them? I will make an alfredo sauce (butter, cream, parmesan) with spinach to go over them.

Comment

Zuchini Linguini is awsome!
                        "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

wow parsnip. i would have never imagined using that! thanks for the tip. i might try it in a few nights, i already had some zucchetti night before last.

Comment

You should try slicing zucchini into thins strips that look like spaghetti. I started doing that when I was on a raw food diet. I still do it today. I used to be a pasta freak too, but this totally knocks old style pasta out of the water (and its FILLING too)!

Comment

Oops! Didnt read the 2nd page of replies.

Comment

Working...
                              X