Homemade goat yogurt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade goat yogurt?

I got given a second hand yogurt maker and I'm experimenting. I'm keen on making goat yogurt in an attempt to reduce my dairy intake. Does anyone have any experience in making yogurt at home?
    sigpic
    www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

We've had several conversations about it. I look at goat's milk all the time and think about turning it into yogurt.

Yogurt itself is used as the starter. So your first batch would have a teeny bit of cow in it that would be meaningless by your second or third batch. Each new batch is started with a little of the last batch. If you can find goat yogurt then you're pure goat from the start. You can also purchase starter cultures from some health food stores or online.

If my milk is organic and ultra pasteurized, I just heat it to about 120 degrees, let it cool for ten minutes and stir in some starter. Store it in a warm place to maintain temps above 95 and below 115 and you have yogurt in about 12 hours. It gets tangier and a little thicker for another 12 hours. I'm also culturing cream for creme fraiche and half and half for strained thick cream cheesy greek yogurt.

Comment

Thanks. I'll give it a go.
      sigpic
      www.pantrybites.com
      Real Good Primal Food

Comment

I'd like to do this - but don't know where to get goats milk in the UK?

Comment

Not doing dairy right now, but when I do, I make my homemade yogurt with organic goat milk (hoping to find a raw source when I reintroduce yogurt into the diet). You don't have to do anything different -- just use goat instead of cow... I *do* like a nice thick AND tangy yogurt, so I tend to brew it for quite a while, plus I add a bit of powdered milk which helps thicken it nicely -- only problem is I haven't found a source for powdered goat milk so far, just powdered cow milk (will try looking online one of these days!).

Comment

I just made my first batch using goat milk and freeze dried yogurt culture. It tastes great but a little bit too thin for my liking.

Any suggestions for thickening it up?
            sigpic
            www.pantrybites.com
            Real Good Primal Food

Comment

Originally posted by pantrybites View Post
              I just made my first batch using goat milk and freeze dried yogurt culture. It tastes great but a little bit too thin for my liking.

Any suggestions for thickening it up?
              "Cooking" it longer will make it thicker (with more tang too...) -- I push mine to about 13 hours... Also, adding powdered milk will thicken it a whole lot, but as I mentioned above, I've only found powder cow's milk so far.

Comment

I've been straining 20 ounces made from whole organic non-homogenized ultra pasteurized milk. It cultured between 95 and 115 degrees for 15 hours. It was inoculated with my ongoing strain that is part Fage and part Stoneyfield. It's down to about 12 ounces from the straining and very thick and creamy, not as dense as cream cheese but a little thicker than sour cream or Fage Total. You lose quantity straining it Greek style, but you sure gain quality. This is a great batch.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely try with my next batch.
                  sigpic
                  www.pantrybites.com
                  Real Good Primal Food

Comment

Pretty much every main supermarket carries it in the UK, but absolutely definitely Sainsburys and Co-Op / Somerfield. It's more expensive than moo-juice, slightly sweeter and remember to get full fat.

Comment

I made homemade goat yoghurt, it's VERY tart and tasty but runny and liquid consistency. I've incubated over 24 hours, so I doubt it will thicken up anymore. It's whole goat's milk. Any help here?

Comment

try straining it through a paper towel and a wire mesh strainer... it will take a while but you'll end up w/ a thicker yogurt. this is what dh does when his yogurt is too thin....he's been making yogurt on the stove for over 2yrs... sometimes he knocks it out of the park and other times he kills the batch... its soo hard in our kitchen b/c it doesn't really warm up...
                        The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                        What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                        SW 190lb
                        Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                        25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                        1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                        GW ~135lbs
                        5'3"
                        Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

Goat's milk will always be runnier than cow's milk and have less protein. Straining it through cheesecloth or butter muslin for as long as you like in the fridge will help thicken it. Avoid conventional paper towels. They sell cheesecloth everywhere - WF, BB&B, Safeway, Crate and Barrel, etc. I find straining yogurt to be essential, and you aren't "losing" much. Because you're removing a lot of water with the whey, your protein will be more concentrated and therefore higher ounce for ounce compared to unstrained.

The longer you incubate your yogurt, the more tart and tangy the finished product will taste. Incubate for taste, then strain for consistency. Many commercial brands rely on gelatin, guar gum, zantham gum, and other thickeners and stabilizers for consistency. With goat's milk especially, you might just have to accept that homemade will be an entirely different (but good! And infinitely better) product.

You can "reculture" your yogurt only so many times before it loses strength. Also, different bacterial strains taste different.

ALWAYS use pasteurized (or raw) instead of ultra-pasteurized. Ultra may work, but you lose some protein as well as taste and thickness, and it will likely take longer to fully culture.

(Full disclosure - I only make cow's milk yogurt myself, but I'm an obsessive researcher)

Happy culturing!
                          My blog, The Overflowing Pantry

Primal-esque since Feb 2010
                          100% Primal since May 2011 (again)

Comment

I make yogurt all the time in a cooler with hot water over night and it turns out great
                            Gretchen in Wyoming
                            Princess to the King
                            Mom of 3
                            Grandma of 1
                            Bride to Steven

my blog Mama Goes Primal

Comment

Working...
                            X