Breadcrumb Substitute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breadcrumb Substitute

I have fallen in love with my slow cooker lately and found a great recipe, except it calls for 1/2 C of breadcrumbs. Any solid ideas on substitutes for a 1/2 c of crumbs? I was thinking about using almond meal, but not sure how much to use and if this will dry things out more. Thoughts? Thanks.

Almond meal, good parmesan cheese, pork rinds, the stuff that comes off my bald friends head if he doesn't shower.... all of these are delicious substitutes!

Comment

shredded coconut
      sigpic

Comment

I was thinking about coconut. Do you think I should use the same amount 1/2c?

Comment

I usually got with either Almond flour or shredded coconut
          sigpic

Comment

I don't like using shredded coconut mainly because it tastes like coconut.

I drink coconut milk and cook with coconut oil and snack on creamed coconut.

Do I really want my fried chicken tenders or meatloaf tasting like coconut too? There is such a thing as too much coconut!

I wonder how many more times I can fit the word coconut into this post about coconuts and why I don't flavor some foods with coconut flakes!

coconut!

Comment

I vote for pork rinds. <3 porky goodness.
              Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
              http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
              Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Comment

I'd say it depends on what the recipe is for. Coconut flour is an excellent substitute but as Rivvin pointed out, it does have a distinct taste and might not go well with certain things.
                I made a meatloaf last night using almond meal in place of bread crumbs, but I did also add 2 eggs (for about half a cup of almond meal) to act as a "binder" because I figured the almond meal would make it more crumbly.
                Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X