• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely unnecessary gadget time!

Okay so awhile back I posted a link to something called Stufz:
    http://www.stufz.net/

Today I stumbled across this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Eggspress-Micr...8554780&sr=1-1

I am oddly fascinated by this device and if it really makes eggs like that I can't help but think its the most amazing thing... ever.

What devices have you seen that you want even if it is completely unnecessary? What kitchen devices have you BOUGHT that are a complete frivolous purchase?

The egg thing does not appeal to me; microwaved eggs feel rubbery to me. Besides, eggs are like the easiest thing in the world to cook.

But that Stufz mold...I am seriously tempted to order one of those right now! I missed your original post on that.

Comment

I've had microwave egg cookers in the past. I'm actually selling the one I have, since I nolonger have a microwave. I've learned being without a microwave is a huge pain in the azz when you want food in a hurry though.

I'm sort of minimalist in the kitchen. My dad buys me lots of gadgets that I never use. I'm selling a lot of them at the yard sale this weekend.

Comment

On the other side of the same coin is gadgets that have been rendered useless because of not eating poisonous foods. Namely, the toaster! I can't think of an alternate use.

Comment

Haha... I gave away not a just a toaster... but a hotdog & bun toaster. Yup... a toaster dedicated soley to cooking hotdogs and toasting buns at the same time. Also gave away a quesadilla maker, and a regular toaster. I still have a toaster oven. That reminds me... that can go in the yard sale pile!

Comment

We have a couple gadgets given to us at the wedding that will probably never be used: garlic press (we microplane the garlic), toaster, quesadilla maker, sandiwch press, coffee maker (neither of us are coffee people, it was from a distant relative,) juicer (designed solely for citrus fruit), and a zester (again, we use the microplane.)
            Probably the only gadgets in our kitchen that we use that could loosely fall under unitasker (aside from the fire extinguisher) is the knife sharpening kit (and that'll stay only a sharpening kit), and a rice maker (husband's not primal, yet).
            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
            My Latest Journal

Comment

Why would you want to get rid of a toaster oven? I love mine! It's perfect for "Side Cooking" like when I am baking fish and need to bake a sweet potato at the same time!

Well, unless yours is less of an oven and more of a toaster or something.

Comment

Since stopping making anything using grains, the pasta making machine one of my sisters gave me is totally redundant. But I don't feel I can give away a present!

Also the bread making machine - not been used in months and months. Sandwich toasting machine, pasta extruder (made super macaroni, rigatoni etc) , grain mill, yorkshire pudding tins - loads of kit I used to consider necessary but now is just taking up cupboard space.

Comment

I could never live without my toaster oven! It's perfect for roasting veggies or Cornish Hens. Brush the hens with a little olive oil and the skin comes out all nice and crispy.
                  "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
                  And we never even know we have the key."
                  ~The Eagles, "Already Gone"

Comment

Just to add to the "what the?" devices... here is one for you Rivvin!

http://www.thekitchenstore.com/eggcuber.html

How does it work?!?!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fatkid View Post
                      Just to add to the "what the?" devices... here is one for you Rivvin!

http://www.thekitchenstore.com/eggcuber.html

How does it work?!?!
                      I saw this on Digg today and was going to post it here myself, haha! Nice find!

Comment

You crack the egg into the gizmo, lower said gizmo into the water and cook. I see it as a WTF invention, but you know someone thinks it's the best thing since sliced brisket.
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                          (we microplane the garlic)
                          I love my microplane grater. Will have to try it for garlic as well.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                            ditto
                            Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Watch out and don't grate your fingers. It's surprisingly easy to do. It makes REALLY finely minced garlic. I tried microplaned onion and got onion juice.
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X