Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Sugar?

No, not

When a recipe calls for brown sugar, what is a good replacement? I have so many recipes that use 1/4c packed brown sugar and I have no idea what to use instead.

I need help!

Take out some of the liquid in the recipe and use honey to taste?
    If it's a savory dish, caramelized onions?
    Take out some liquid in the recipe and use pureed pumpkin, sweet potato, or sweet squash?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

uh... bacon?
      sigpic

Comment

You could use an itsy bit of molasses, since that's what flavors the white sugar to make it brown. If it called for a 1/4 c. of brown sugar, I think to get the (non-sweet) flavor, you could sub a 1/2 tsp of molasses. As for the lost sweetness? Skip it or choose your poison.
        Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
        ~Borges

Comment

+1 on the molasses (and the bacon, too!)
          Blackstrap molasses is nom and it's packed w/ nutrients. whfoods.org lists it as one of the world's healthiest foods.
          I'm petitioning to get bacon added to that list, too. rofl
          Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
          http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
          Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Comment

I personally would just not add the brown sugar. Maybe add a touch of honey instead.
            Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

My ribs are going to be so much less exciting without a brown sugar rub ;(

Comment

Rub? Try the carmelized onions. I promise, they work wonders. Puree them and add the rest of your stuff. Should still work.
                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                My Latest Journal

Comment

mmmm.... onions and brown sugar......
                  don't judge me! ahhhh!!

Comment

Try a mixture of apple cider vinegar with molasses mixed in.
                    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
                    ~Borges

Comment

I made ribs two days ago and i just cut the brown sugar in half (two tbsp) in my rub. Honestly I think I could have cut it down even further. 1/4 cup seems unnecessary and I doubt you miss it much. Molasses will just make it wet and screw everything up if you're smoking them.

Comment

Yeah john, I think these ideas are great for wet recipes and I have made notes in my google journal for all these great ideas, but I honestly don't think anything can replace brown sugar when smoking ribs or a pork butt.

I will cut it down to a couple tbsp instead of 1/4th a cup and call it even.

Still, I got some great ideas from this thread.. I never would have thought to use caramelized onions as a sweetener but I can see how that would be delicious...

Comment

Working...
                        X