Help with crockpot, please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with crockpot, please!

I am starting to get over budget here and really need to start saving.

I figure for a lone bachelor, making more crockpot based meals once or twice a week will really save me money and I can let it cook while I am at work.

The problem, however, is that while there are tons of slowcooker recipes out there, 75% of them are non-primal with stupid stuff in them like cream of *, etc. and etc.

I really want to find some recipes that will fill a very active young man with a good sized portion for three nights. If you know a site that has good, primal/paleo crockpot recipes or have some of your own... please share!

My wife recently start using the crockpot to cook legs of lamb. I think she browns the leg first, rubs on a bit of salt and pepper, insets slivers of garlic into the flesh and tosses in a sprig of rosemary. The trick is to put an inverted butter plate in the crockpot and sit the leg on that. Of course, collect all the juices and use the dress the sliced lamb and veggies. No need to thicken.

Only problem I have with this is I do the dishes and the crockpot can be a pain to clean
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Stew, chili, chicken pot "pie", casserole... which do you want?
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

All of them, naiad! I need to start building a good list to keep in my recipe folder...

Peril, I have never tried leg of lamb at all much less in a crockpot but it sounds delicious. 8 hours on low?

Comment

Rivvin,
          I have a link of like a gajillion crock pot recipes. I can post it if you like but I cannot tell you that they are all primal/paleo. You would have to pick and choose......but there are MANY to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
            All of them, naiad! I need to start building a good list to keep in my recipe folder...

Peril, I have never tried leg of lamb at all much less in a crockpot but it sounds delicious. 8 hours on low?
            That's about right. I'll check with her
            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

The crockpot is my favorite appliance. I roast chickens in a crockpot (no liquid), make stews, chilis, etc... The recipes are on the archives of my blog, but not all are primal. Here are some to start:
              Chicken cacciatore: http://amoderngal.com/2009/10/26/cro...en-cacciatore/
              Crockpot pork tenderloin: http://amoderngal.com/2009/10/06/cro...rk-tenderloin/
              Healthy hamburger stew (I would double the meat, omit beans now): http://amoderngal.com/2009/01/19/hea...amburger-stew/

Comment

Italian style stew:
                1-2 lb hunk of beef, pork, lamb, goat, or game roast
                1/2 carrot, cut into medallion
                1 celery stalk, sliced
                1/2 onion, sliced
                1 head garlic, minced, leaving 3 or 4 cloves whole
                1 can crushed tomato or 5 roma tomatoes roughly chopped
                1/2 can tomato paste
                2 c beef stock
                1 tsp oregano, 2 tbsp basil, 7-10 grinds black pepper, 1 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tbsp parsley, 1/2 tsp salt
                Sear the outside of the roast, put it and the juices in the crockpot, along with everything except the spices and tomato paste. Cook on high for and hour and a half, add the spices. Cook for another hour and a half. Remove the roast and cut into bite size chunks. pour the chunks and juices back into the crock pot, cook until too your desired doneness.

Tomatillo Stew
                1 lb beef, goat, lamb, or game
                1/4 head garlic
                2 lb tomatillo, chopped
                1 zuke, roughly chopped
                2 jalapenos
                salt, pepper
                1 c water

Chop meat into bite sized chunks and brown. Pour meat and juices into crockpot. Add everything but the salt, pepper, and zukes, and cook until tomatillos dissolve (Approx 2-3 hours on High). Add zukes and season as desired, cook until zukes are al dente.

You can easily make your favorite chili recipe in the crockpot, just thicken by cooking it longer rather than masa. Real chili doesn't have beans anyway.

Chicken pot "pie"
                1 lb chicken, chopped
                1 carrot, chopped
                2 celery stalk, chopped
                1 onion, diced
                1/2 head garlic, minced
                2 c chicken stock
                Pureed cauliflower, to thicken

Cook chicken until opaque, add to crock pot with all but the cauliflower. Cook until chicken is done and veggies are tender. Add cauliflower to thicken, turn to warm. Line a cookie pan with more of the cauliflower, cook until crustlike. Pour stew into bowl, break off chunks of cauliflower and put on top.

I'll have to look up my casserole and crockpot lasagna.
                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                My Latest Journal

Comment

Recipes are great, but the Crockpot can make some really simple meals. One good one is pork shoulder.

Step 1. Insert Pork Shoulder
                  Step 2. Add seasoning - I like a tiny bit of honey, some cloves, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon. You can add spices if you prefer something closer to BBQ or smoke-house (Cayenne is a good choice, or even a Cayenne rub)
                  Step 3. Cook.

Or, you can go even easier and just make a chicken

Step 1. Buy whole chicken (The roasting ones)
                  Step 2. Rub with olive oil (any oil works but I prefer this: heat is low enough to avoid spoiling)
                  Step 3. Rub with spices (Lemon Zest (shaved rind), rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic works well)
                  Step 4. Cook
                  Step 5. Take out bird, eat what you want, pull off rest of meat, store for later.

I am all about simple meals. These are not recipes but my own creations. I encourage you to experiment, but if you need more help I will try to post more.

Comment

Rivvin - I hear ya, I'm also a bachelor and in money saving mode. Here is a strategy I use that will provide me dinner for a week(5-8 meals) or so:

Whole chicken (bonus if it comes with giblet!)
                    a few lbs of quality beef/pork/lamb whatever (but tougher, cheaper cuts for stewing)
                    lots of veggies (carrots, celery, asparagus, whatever you like)
                    lots of your favorite spices (curry, coriander, oregano, cinnamon, bay leaf, etc)

Wash the whole chicken, completely dry it off(important). Mix a bunch of spices and rub every last inch of the chicken once its all dry. Stick it in an oven at 475 for 20 minutes. You can also do this in a crock pot but I've never done it myself and I love the way the chicken comes out, plus its very quick. Chicken plus stir-fried veggies will feed ya well for a couple days.

Meanwhile take all the bones and drippings and put em in your crockpot, pour enough cold filtered water in to submerge them (usually 3 or 5 cups in my case), let soak for an hour. Add in spices and some veggies. Let it stew overnight or whatever, 8-20hrs. Strain it all out, eat the veggies if you like... got yourself a ton of chicken broth.

Take the broth (cut it in half with added water again if you really want to stretch it) add a ton of veggies plus your stewing meats and cook again overnight or a day... tada! a couple more meals

Might seem like a lot of steps but frankly its like 30min of work spread over a week, costs like $25-35 and feeds you for a good long while. Not to mention it all tastes damned good.

Comment

I do a crockpot meal nearly every week according to some general rules:
                      1- choose a darn tasty meat, on the bone if possible
                      2- brown it in oven or in pan
                      3- plop it in the crock, with a ton of onions (I adore onions) and water (or other yummy liquid), usually to cover.
                      4- cook with meat on for about eight hours
                      5- remove meat from bones and put in frig
                      6- return bones to liquid to make a beautiful stock
                      7- enjoy however
                      Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Wow, these are awesome guys, thanks! Selah, please feel free to post your link, its always fun to modify a recipe to make it primal friendly.

Woo!

Comment

I LOVE my crockpot! I didn't have time to read the other responses, so ignore mine if they've already come up...but here are two of our favorites in the crock.

1.) country style beef ribs. I salt and pepper both sides. Quarter a bunch of onions (to taste, as long as everything will fit in there...I have a huge one so for me, the more the better) layer the bottom of the crock pot with the onions (you don't have to separate them, just toss in the quarters) and then layer the ribs. I cook mine on low for 6 to 7 hours. They'll be falling apart when you take them out.

Now, you could put a rub on them before you put them in the crock. Or you could take them out, shred them, and mix with something. Personally, I dip them in BBQ sauce (haven't found a primal one yet, so it's a small cheat for us) and lay them out on a broiler pan and put them under the broiler for five minutes. The onions are a great side and you get lots of yummy broth out of it.

2.) This recipe http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...ect-pot-roast/
                          It's not a crock recipe, but I make mine in the crock. I do the veggies and the browning in a pan on my stove, then put it all in the crock. I add more onions and carrots because we don't eat the potatoes. I cook on low for 8 to 9 hours. A few hours before it's done though I remove about half of the liquid which I then use for gravy. (There will be a LOT, the roast will be swimming) I'm still working on making the gravy primal. Even without it though, the roast is DELICIOUS!

Comment

This rocks:
                            http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

This woman is gluten-free, so her recipes are a lot more Primal-friendly than most. She is also so funny.

On the main page today (it changes every day), is a kick-ass meatloaf recipe, done in the crock, that is full-on Primal as is.

I've made all of her curries (she's got both Indian and Thai) by now, and wow.
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I use my crockpot most days when I'm studying.

Basic ideas for meat: (Chicken, pork, beef)
                              Fry onions/mushrooms/garlic in some lard/coconut oil/dripping/FAT!
                              Sear the sides of the meat in the same pan.

Chop vegetables, (peppers, carrots, broccoli etc)

Toss all ingredients in pot once vegetables are chopped. Add enough stock so that the stock does not fully cover the ingredients.

Season with spices, salt, pepper etc.

Leave for as long as you are out, a long cooking time of 8 hours produces meat that falls apart deliciously!

For chilli's just dump in all the ingredients and leave it on low, when I get home I'll take off the lid and let it reduce for a while.

My favourites are, pork, beef, chicken thighs then curries and chilli!

My other meals are mostly, eggs,bacon,sausage and broccoli or liver and onions again with broccoli!

Cheap bachelor cooking! I am trying to eat more fish though.

Comment

Working...
                              X