Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef tongue? Beef tongue! (ewwwwww.....)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cow tongue is the bomb! As a student, I always went out of my way to get it (dirt cheap per pound compared to other cuts).

Really delicious way to prepare it:

1) Boil the living daylights out of it in salted water with some pepper corns and a bay leaf for 3 hours minimum
    2) Let it cool down
    3) Peel the skin off
    4) Slice
    5) In a large pot, sautee garlic and then some tomato in olive oil or lard
    6) Add the tongue in, along with salt and pepper
    7) Add a few glasses of white wine and chopped fresh parsley

Enjoy!

Comment

NomNomPaleo uses tongue, here's a link:
      LINK

Comment

I scrape off the pale layer under the membrane with a spoon because I don't like to look at the taste buds. You could try shredding it; lengua makes awesome tacos.
        Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
        Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
        "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

Dont give up on the tongue yet!!

Being as apprehensive as you were, I'm surprised more people didn't implore you to avoid a straight presentation on tongue! It does take some getting used to for many!

Give it another shot, but this time after cooking let it cool in fridge....slice it very very thin and season lightly. Get a couple slices of nice rye bread (I know, I know...its not primal...but this is a transitory thing!) and grill them in pan with a little butter. Put some of your favorite mustard on both sides and then put the tongue on. You could add some swiss cheese too.

Basically, the rye and the mustard are some distinct, familiar flavors that set off the gaminess of the tongue and complement it well. Much easier to appreciate than diving straight into an inch thick piece of tongue!

Comment

I just cooked one in a crockpot. It.is.absolutely.amazing!!! Sooo tender and juicy and the flavor rivals the best cuts if not better IMO. Mmmm.... Bon appetit!

Comment

I usually refuse to eat something that has been in someone else's mouth...

Tongue is a big thing in Germany and was the staple food for Christmas dinner with my German family. The first time it was set in front of me I nearly ran off to the toilet gagging. I really like the taste of it now, but still squirm a little at the sight of it, and I'm not squeamish about most things. For me, it's much better when cut into small strips or pieces and included into a stew of some kind...

Comment

I couldn't eat that, I can be a bit squeamish, but have eaten and liked a few things most people won't eat. We used to get deli counter tongue in the uk that was nice. Black pudding too.

Cooking and eating that, not happening.
                Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Guess what I have brining in the fridge right now? I'll let you know how it turns out!
                  Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Cool. Good stuff!

Comment

yep. Good stuff. Great on sandwitches.

I smoke it then cook it in a pressure cooker.

Its good pre cooked then grilled too.

Comment

That looks awesome

Comment

My brined one came out great. I like to eat it on these ripe plantain wraps I got from the Zenbelly cookbook. Delicious!
                          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

I remember my mother making it when I was a kid. Wish I had her recipe, I loved it!
                            Female, 53 y.o. 195 lbs 2/15, 148 lbs 02/16. Goal wt < 140 lbs.
                            Journal link: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread115661.html
                            http://paleotrack.com/j/GtjBV4YJ

Comment

TONGUE IS MY FAVORITE FOOD IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD...and it's extremely fatty, so it's right up our alley and it's usually the cheapest per pound cut of meat you can get from the local grass-fed butcher because everybody else is saying yech and you scoop up the tastiest healthiest grass-fed beef bargain on the planet. This is the best way in the world to cook it...you make a hole with a knife from the back fatty part of it almost to the tip...you stuff it with a mixture of chopped onion, green pepper and garlic...when you make your mixture salt, black pepper and cayenne are nice to mix into it...then you stuff that tongue with that mixture...til it's all in there...you are seasoning it from the inside...then you season the outside with salt, pepper and garlic salt...and you roast it til it's a nice dark brown color and you can add water to the bottom of the pan to make a nice dark brown gravy with the carmelized drippings...slice the tongue and it will come out with the seasoning mix in the center of each slice...and serve with your favorite veggies. It is the best thing in the world. I have tricked so many people telling them it was just roast and I've addicted them too. My grandson begs me to make it. (after he got over his feelings of betrayal that I made him eat a cow tongue)

Comment

Working...
                              X