Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's see your best budget primal meals!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's see your best budget primal meals!

It would be so nice to have these all in one place.

We're considering a major life change and I fear it may be the end of my lovely $800/mo grocery budget (we're a family of 5).

Ideas for stocking a primal pantry would be helpful, too.

TIA!

You can't go wrong with grass-fed ground beef. So many things you can do with it, besides just burgers. Another great budget stretcher is pastured pork butt or pork should roast. I can get these for about $4 a pound. Season it and toss in the slow cooker and you'll have shredded pork that you can use for tacos, salads, or just by itself. I bet you can easily stay within your monthly budget.

Comment

Frozen veg on sale, coupons. Stock up/cowpool w/ friends. Farmer's market. Eggs. Yeah, I don't do pasture-fed and I still blow my $800 a month budget. I'm trying, though. Less meat, more veg. Under $3/pound meats, so looking for sales, etc. Or pay more and use it sparingly, bulk w/ veg & eggs. Soups, homemade broths.

Good luck!
      Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
      http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
      Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Comment

Tinned fish are cheap and healthy
        Pork lard is cheap and good cooking fat.
        Creamed coconut is calorie dense and cheap.
        Market egg are cheaper than shop bought.
        market veg is also cheaper.
        Frozen veg is cheap.

Just my two cents
        www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

I need to start seeking out more ways to prepare offal. Liver is cheap, even grassfed, and so is heart. Maybe more meals w/ eggs as the main protein, too. And soups are good - I just can't think of soup when it's this hot out!

Thanks for all the ideas, this is really helpful...

Comment

We recently discovered our local restaurant supply company (GFS here where we are) and I found great deals on frozen vegetables.

Comment

4 eggs & 1tbs butter, ~$1.50
              Last edited by mikeha; 06-30-2010, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by atomickim View Post
                I need to start seeking out more ways to prepare offal. Liver is cheap, even grassfed, and so is heart. Maybe more meals w/ eggs as the main protein, too. And soups are good - I just can't think of soup when it's this hot out!

Thanks for all the ideas, this is really helpful...
                What about chilled soups?? Gazpacho, chilled root vegetable soup.... mmm

Comment

Eggs + whatever veggies (usually spinach right now, 4 cups cooks down nicely) and meat happen to be in the fridge = delicious, colorful, healthy omelet.

I love using things like red (purple) onions, green spinach, red peppers or cilantro in contrast with the yellow eggs. There's also the old standby of the hard boiled egg.

Comment

free or cheap animal fat from the butcher
                    use liberally
                    lean towards the fat side of a diet, to exploit how cheap fat is.

eggs, ground beef, maybe sweet potato, and definitely liver once a week or so

Comment

When you start adding more quality fats and vegs (for example, a head of cauliflower goes a long way as a filler for meatballs, etc.), you may be surprised at how satisfied even your biggest eaters can be without the masses of food you previously put on the table when using carbs as fillers.

My husband used to think he needed potatoes/pasta/rice and bread and just a lot of quantity before a meal was complete. That has really changed. You may actually find yourself working from the same budget, if not lower, when you stop buying processed grains, cereals, bread, and drinks. I think we are actually spending less overall now.

Again I will stress good quality fats. When Tropical Traditions has a sale with free shipping, you can get great deals on expellier pressed coconut oil, nut butters, creamed coconut, etc. And you can stock up on that stuff easily. I got two gallons of coconut oil for $60 last month and split the order with a friend. It will take me several months to go through that, even cooking with it at every meal.

If you garden, or have neighbors who do, take advantage of their surplus. Somebody always has extra zuchini, green beans and tomatoes around this time of year. Also look for the scratch and dent produce at the farmer's market. I often buy tomatoes that way and use them for either immediate consumption or I blanch them and peel them, then pop them in the freezer.

Good luck!
                      Mermaid

Comment

Liver and onions. I can get two meals for £1.

Comment

I make a HUGE pot of spaghetti sauce (burger, offal, 'maters, onions, garlic, sausage, herbs and so on) and freeze it. Use it on everything-more burger/sausage, squash, broccoli, whatever.

Or just fry it til warm, slather in sour cream, and eat. We can get nearly a month of a pot. (just my boy and I.)
                          Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Comment

Veggies & eggs, dude, veggies & eggs.

http://www.365daysofkale.com/2009/09...with-kale.html
                            “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

It's summer (well, here anyway) and I can go to a tuesday farmers market and stock up with enough veggies to last the week for about $30.00. Do you have any of these markets around you?

Comment

Working...
                              X