Medieval sauce thickening--with meat!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medieval sauce thickening--with meat!

Well, I was just reading amazon.com reviews for a cookbook called Sauces (by James Peterson), and a reviewer mentioned that in medieval times, people thickened their sauces with pureed meat. That pretty much solves the problem of wanting to add flour to pan sauces for a thick gravy.

Have you tried this?...I'm curious.

would it work with any kind of meat?...

if you try it give a heads up plz
    sigpic

Comment

that's basically what giblet gravy is. I do it with hearts and livers. Just puree them raw in the cuisinart and add them directly to gravies. For more refined sauces I just use really reduced beef or chicken stock instead.

Comment

That's hardcore.
        .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I have this book, if you'd like I can find that passage for you.

Comment

He is one of my favorite cookbook authors and Sauces is a great book. His book on soups is incredible and many of them are primal. And his Vegetables book is also very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
              I have this book, if you'd like I can find that passage for you.
              if it isn't too much trouble, please do... ... if it is too much trouble... I'm sure I'll forget about it quickly enough
              sigpic

Comment

I think it works with blood also, and marrow. Both get kind of gelatinous when heated.
                Mermaid

Comment

Blood skeeves me out a bit, but the organs/ground meat/marrow idea is awesome!

DS and I both have celiac, so even before PB, gravy was hard to come by. Hooray!
                  Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Comment

This post came in handy tonight. I made liver for the first time in a bazzilion years when my mother would fry it into shoe leather and make me sit at the table till I finished it or till bedtime.

Even with a great sounding recipe, it was gross. My eldest ate it. The husband nibbled on it. THe youngest almost hurled on the table.

I pureed the rest of it with some water and poured it into muffin cups and it's current freezing for my next stew, soup or gravy making needs!
                    SW: 235
                    CW:220
                    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

Working...
                    X