Salmon fishcakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salmon fishcakes

Not my recipe got it from ( http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandma...es/Detail.aspx ) tried this tonight and was really good. next time i will add some chilli and jalapenos.

Ingredients
    1 (14.75 ounce) can salmon, drained and flaked
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 small onion, diced
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil => I used coconut oil instead

Directions
    1.Pick through the salmon and remove any bones. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and add the diced onion, salmon and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
    2.Shape into 2 ounce patties; about 7 or 8 patties. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Fry each patty for 5 minutes on each side or until crispy and golden brown.

Hello Spirit Warrior, this looks fabulous. We use coconut oil, and don't even have any vegetable oil in the house. Check out MDA's http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/

We will have to give these a try, thanks!
    Nutty Kitchen

cook for life!

Comment

That's the same recipe I use, pretty much, accept I add a little almond flour. Also, don't remove the bones! They're good for you!
      ~Sandy

Comment

I do something simular with crab, only adding minced red and green bell peppers, and green onion that I saute up and cool before making. These are SUPER delicate, and you gotta form them gently, not like a meat patty. But they are soooo good and I serve them with a lemon and garlic aioli...
        Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
        Re-Start date 6/23/2011
        me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
        273.4/269.3/115
        Hubby--230/227.8/165

Comment

Looks like we have one can each of red salmon and pink salmon, I'll have to try it with each and record the results! Yum!

(predicting red will be better and more flavorful!)

Comment

Looks good - I'll give these a whirl! Some chopped cilantro and lime zest added perhaps?

Comment

Adding Indian spices (madras curry, garam masala and a bit of cinnamon) will make those even more amazing.

Comment

I add a bit of coconut flour to help bind the cakes. In addition to your ingredients, I add chopped green chilli, finely chopped/grated ginger and garlic, cumin powder, finely chopped cilantro for an Indian version. One of these days, I might try coating it with almond flour for a "battered" effect.

Comment

I am going to make these for breakfast right now - they sound so good and I am tired of my usual eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by maba View Post
                    I add a bit of coconut flour to help bind the cakes. In addition to your ingredients, I add chopped green chilli, finely chopped/grated ginger and garlic, cumin powder, finely chopped cilantro for an Indian version. One of these days, I might try coating it with almond flour for a "battered" effect.
                    I just made tuna patties (slightly different recipe than above, but with cumin, garlic, ginger, coriander cardamom) for breakfast and covered half of them in unsweetened shredded coconut - they were amazing. The ones with the coconut were definitely much yummier (and I cooked them in olive oil).

Comment

I made salmon cakes this week.... I few things that I did differently: I added a bit of almond flour, quite a bit of dried coconut, shallots (vice onions), fresh basil, freshly grated parm and turmeric (and, of course, an egg).....pan fried in coconut oil. Condiment of creme fraiche with celery salt.

My first go at these....will def make more and experiment with recipe again. =)
                      Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
                      ~Borges

Comment

I made some tinned salmon fish cakes - with one egg and quite a lot of coconut flour, which was probably too much as they tended to keep falling apart! The flavour was very good but they were dry and I feel I should have used 2 eggs and less coconut flour?

Comment

@ breadsauce, yes two eggs per can and about a tbsp (maybe 2) of coconut flour, which saps up all the liquid.

Comment

Just made these - very tasty and that's coming from a person who used to hate salmon! Probably because it was always smoked

Comment

Smoked? Not like smoked salmon? I LOVE it - and i think adding a little chopped smoked salmon to the cakes would be superb. I'll try that - with chopped fresh dill and perhaps a little horseradish.

Comment

Working...
                              X