Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy lunch ideas

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I've been working on improving my diet by eating more natural foods and recently found Mark's Daily Apple and his "Primal" eating. It fits closely with my own personal dietary goals so I'm happy to have found it.

Incidentally, I have lost 25 lbs just making changes to my regular meals, simply cooking more "whole" foods (meat and veggies) in the evenings.

My question: What do you all eat for lunches typically? I'm an office drone so typically need to bring my lunch to work (eating out is expensive). Sandwiches are often what I eat. With other meals I can easily eat in a low-carb/natural foods type of way, I happen to be a pretty decent cook. However for lunch, I have long had the sandwich (and mainly the bread that goes with it) on my radar of what to get rid of next from my diet.

So what primal meals do any of you office drones have for lunch? I'm also a very busy person these days (infant at home and remodeling a new house). I work during the day and spend my evenings working so the more simple the better.

I'm basically just looking for ideas (doing some brainstorming) to help break my lunch routine, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

i bought some big tupperware bowls for taking salads to work. Used a small mason jar for dressing. Left over meat or a can of tuna on top. YUM
    sigpic

Comment

Deviled eggs, salads, veggies and dip, chicken drumsticks. I blogged some time ago about creative alternatives to sandwiches. The post was written before I was fully primal, but has some ideas: http://amoderngal.com/2009/08/04/cre...to-sandwiches/

Comment

Originally posted by MeatMe216 View Post
        i bought some big tupperware bowls for taking salads to work. Used a small mason jar for dressing. Left over meat or a can of tuna on top. YUM
        This is pretty much me, exactly.

Apple, Salad w/ (tuna, sardines, leftover meat), and maybe some Fage if I have it.

Comment

Incidentally, my wife has suggested (and we are going to try this week) making quiche to take. Quiche is tasty the next day, keeps well, etc. It's also loaded with eggs of course and other goodies you might put in like spinach. And it's pretty easy to make enough for several meals.

I also like the drum stick idea. I prefer dark meat from a chicken.

Thanks.

Comment

I follow a similar pattern... I have a large Tupperware (7 cups I think?) and at home I have various chopped veggies and such... ... at night I take the veggies and put them in the container... then I have a small one I make my salad dressing in for each day... ... ... my catch all meat is chicken so on Sundays I cook up a few chicken breasts or similar (7-10 breasts) and I have one chopped on my salad each day... ...

to change pace I sometimes use left overs (today my salad will have walnut and almond crusted chicken on it) or I'll bring some ground beef and salsa to eat on the side or something... ...
            sigpic

Comment

I brought a salad once to work . . but im super-lazy when it comes to getting meals prepared ahead of time . . for the past 4 days of work i've eating 25 almonds 1 peach and 1 5oz can of tuna .. but it's getting old fast
              Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
              Current Weight: 266lbs
              High-school Weight: 235lbs
              Goal: ????

Comment

Originally posted by Fatkid View Post
                I follow a similar pattern... I have a large Tupperware (7 cups I think?) and at home I have various chopped veggies and such... ... at night I take the veggies and put them in the container... then I have a small one I make my salad dressing in for each day... ... ... my catch all meat is chicken so on Sundays I cook up a few chicken breasts or similar (7-10 breasts) and I have one chopped on my salad each day... ...

to change pace I sometimes use left overs (today my salad will have walnut and almond crusted chicken on it) or I'll bring some ground beef and salsa to eat on the side or something... ...
                When you do cook the chicken breasts up for your salad, how many days do you spread that across? I think growing up in a household where we were taught to FEAR FOOD OH MY GOD if it was more than three days old has pretty much kept me from cooking big batches of meat for my salads which is why I've stuck to tuna and sardines.

Its ridiculous, but true.

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                I brought a salad once to work . . but im super-lazy when it comes to getting meals prepared ahead of time . . for the past 4 days of work i've eating 25 almonds 1 peach and 1 5oz can of tuna .. but it's getting old fast
                Try 26 almonds for a refreshing new lunch.

Comment

My husband takes leftovers most days, but I have gotten him to eat romaine 'sandwiches' more often. Sliced meat, romaine lettuce leaves, maybe some cheese, and he likes spicy mustard. You could use a more natural deli meat, or even just sliced roasted turkey or chicken or beef that you make at home.

We smoke our own lunchmeat to avoid the salt and additives. I cook up a bunch at once, slice, and then wrap serving sizes in plastic and place freezer bags and freeze. They keep for a few months that way, and he just has to take out a bundle before work and it thaws by lunchtime.

Chicken and tuna salad is good....either with a lettuce 'wrap', or sliced veggies like cucumber & celery to eat with, or place on top of a salad.

One technique to always have something to eat for lunch, is if you are grilling or cooking up any meat, add an extra piece, like a chicken breast. You can cool, slice, and toss on a salad for the next day.
                  Erin
                  Daily Vlogs
                  Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Make some primal pancakes with eggs and coconut flour. That's what I'm going to do once school starts.
                    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                      When you do cook the chicken breasts up for your salad, how many days do you spread that across?
                      Usually I cook them on Sunday (evening) and I'll be eating them sometimes as late as the following Sunday...

Once I cook them I put them into Tupperware or a zip lock bag or something...then when I need them I take how ever many I need out and usually rinse off all the congealed goo with water (they aren't fancy chickens so I try to get all the fat off) then I chop them and put them in my salad... ... If I'm beginning to wonder about them I might put them into a cooked dish like a curry or something where they get 'cooked' again at least for a little bit...

I guess I'm lucky that I don't have the fear of old chicken... I usually play the card of 'if it looks fine... I'll find out if it isn't after I eat it'... hahaha I'm a little more hesitant with some other meats but I'm pretty experienced with chicken and I think I know how it ages pretty well
                      sigpic

Comment

Left over steak, chicken, pork, jerky etc and raw veggies!
                        Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

I cook on Sundays for about 1-1/2 hour or so and that food usually lasts most of the week. I usually do another cook day somewhere in the week if I have time, too.

Things I make in advance:

Bacon and eggs (will cook huge batch for breakfast on Sunday a.m. and then split leftovers into separate tupperware when putting away. It takes maybe 20 minutes to cook everything and 5 minutes to pack it up and I have breakfast for most of the week.

Veggies (mixed, sauteed): I make one big batch per week. This I eat throughout the week with whatever meat I've cooked (either chicken or a roast, etc). I do the same thing as for the breakfasts... usually pack 3-4 separate containers with veggies and meat I cook and then the rest goes in one big container.

Chicken: usually cook one big pack of thighs for the week. After cooking the veggies I'll toss a piece (or two ) of chicken in the individually packed containers. Now I have lunches/breakfasts/whatever for the whole week.

Salad stuff: I get a huge thing of spring mix, then cut up some peppers and put in tupperware. I may make a BAS for lunch (toss in the spring mix, peppers, some walnuts, cranberries, cucumber and a tomato (not sliced yet), bring my homemade dressing (olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette some dry mustard and garlic, shake) and maybe avocado.

Basically I do prep/cook on Sunday and spend maybe 2 hours total with cooking and separating and packing. That way I just grab my two meals for the day in the a.m. and split.

When I get sick of what I'm eating, I'll make a shepherd's pie... or taco salad, or clafouti (lately taco seasoned meat and cheese or chicken and peppers)... whatever sounds good. And I like to do a roast every week or two, takes about 3 minutes to prep in the crock pot and 5 minutes to pack up in the a.m. after cooking.

I am branching out with dishes... slowly and on the weekends when we have time to experiment.

Oh, and I'll eat veggies up to a week after cooking... chicken and roast, too. Frankly you can tell when it's starting to go bad... and I've never gotten sick from it, but that's me. If you have an issue with that, split your cooking into smaller amounts, 2x a week and that should still be short and sweet.

ETA: I also like to have handy hardboiled eggs, some nut butter (rarely use), cream for my tea and random veggies with french onion dip as snacks. Just in case!
                          sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Tuna, sardine, & salmon "salad" mashed up with minced shallot, mustard, capers & maybe a little home-made olive oil aioli if I feel like cleaning up the mess. I make a big bowl of it and eat it over the week. Nobody at work seems to mind the smell though I do store it in an air-tight bowl in the fridge, which only seems courteous to the rest of the fridge people.

Or, lately, uncured so-called artisanal salami and a hunk of raw-milk cheese. This also usually lasts all week. I usually only eat maybe 4-5-6 slices of salami and a couple slices of cheese as this is all very filling. This is also very easy and convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
                              A really good post
                              Thanks for the great info. I think what I am going to do is try to split my cooking into Sunday's and Wednesdays instead of almost every damn night.

You and fatkid have inspired me!

Comment

Working...
                              X