Meatballs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meatballs

Does anyone know a good way to make meatballs stick together without using breadcrumbs? Anyone have a good recipe?

i use shredded coconut instead of breadcrumbs. I have recipe with pics posted yesterday in my journal (link in my signature)
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, but I don't like fresh (or dried) coconut. I can handle coconut oil in my cooking, but I really can't tolerate any coconut flavor or the texture (I know that's a mental thing). How much does the coconut come through once cooked?

Comment

I use one egg per pound of meat plus about 4 T of almond flour.

Comment

i dont notice the flavor of coconut at all in my meatballs, but i guess you could use nuts in the food processor or a nut flour. Ive used chopped walnuts before and those were good. and yes, eggs as well
          sigpic

Comment

You can just leave the bread crumbs out. I do the same thing with meat loaf and I've never had a problem keeping them together. Bread crumbs (cracker crumbs, oatmeal) were originally used as a filler to stretch the meat further. Eggs keep the mixture together.
            ~Sandy

Comment

+1 for eggs being the binder. If extra eggs make your balls gooey (ahem), throw in some dry ingredients like chopped onion perhaps?

Comment

I'll just try them as normal. I was planning on doing something similar to meatloaf, just making balls instead. I really don't want to use coconut, so I'll just use the eggs and maybe some diced green onion. Thanks for the ideas! I'm confident they'll work now.

Comment

DO you have access to pork rinds? You could use those as a binder. I personally use shredded coconut, I don't find the coconut adds any kind of flavor to them that I noticed.

My MIL makes hamburger patties with nothin but meat. No binder, no nothin. You could try it.
                  SW: 235
                  CW:220
                  Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                  Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                  Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                  Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

If you put some liver through a food processor to form a paste and then mix it thoroughly into the meat ball mix, that binds it and adds tons of valuable nutrients too. Especially loads of vit A!!

Comment

How bad a breadcrumbs, REALLY?

Terms like "spike your insulin levels" and "Superduper deluxe lard ass, fatty fatty fattykins" are so unscienetific.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                        How bad a breadcrumbs, REALLY?

Terms like "spike your insulin levels" and "Superduper deluxe lard ass, fatty fatty fattykins" are so unscienetific.
                        *rollin*
                        SW: 235
                        CW:220
                        Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                        Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                        Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                        Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

http://boundtoearth.wordpress.com/20...batch-cooking/

No breadcrumbs needed! Like others have said, the eggs are a great binder, you just need good meat and spices to go with.
                          You are what you eat,
                          and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

I use 1 egg per lb of meat and it holds them together perfectly. You can get away with less though. Spices, chopped fresh garlic and onion are good and I like to squeeze some tomato paste in sometimes for extra flavor.

Comment

i never use anything. i just season the beef with dry spices, salt and pepper, and roll 'em up. i've never had a problem. maybe if you're using lean ground beef, they may dry out and crumble in the frying pan. but if you're using regular beef or pork, it should stick together naturally, no problems! just roll them up or patty them like you normally would.

Comment

Working...
                              X