hot dogs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot dogs

So the other day I bought a package of organic, grass-fed, all beef, uncured hot dogs. Don't ask me why, it was impulsive. Obviously we don't want to eat them in a bun. Any ideas for what I can do with hot dogs that doesn't involve buns? I'm not very creative, I guess, but I figure there's gotta be something yummy to do with them besides just eating them plain, lol.

I slow cook them outside after most bbqs. They go in the fridge and get eaten, heated or not, as snacks around here. I like to place one on a large leaf of romaine, squirt in the mustard and sour kraut. Roll it all up and eat it. I prefer them to buns now. You can do it up like your favorite dog. Bacon, grilled onions, mayo and tomato is pretty tasty.

Some folks around here despise hot dogs.
    Last edited by Grol; 06-16-2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I love hot dogs (made with sustainably raised meat, of course). I just cook them and chop them up and eat them with a fork (with various toppings... mustard, pickles, etc).
      Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

I too go with the lettuce wrap and heaped with pickled peppers, mustard, and yes a little ketchup. My hubby did chili cheese dogs in lettuce wraps for him and the groklings the other day.
        The more I see the less I know for sure.
        -John Lennon

Comment

I've cut them into chunks and heated up in a pan with sauerkraut. That's pretty tasty.

Comment

I cut some up and add them to a bowl of chili.

Comment

It sounds EXACTLY like the Applegate Farms hot dogs that I buy FREQUENTLY. Am I right???

I LOVE them in my big ass salads. Throw in mixed greens, lots of veggies, 3-4 grass fed hot dogs and top with a balsamic viniagrette dressing. YUM!

I also sometimes enjoy them with my omelet in the morning.
              Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

They're excellent wrapped in a coconut pancake; tastes like eating a corndog.

Comment

Oh my goodness, these are such great ideas! I think I'll have to try sauerkraut for the first time in my life, and I'll also need to find the recipe for coconut pancakes. One of my thoughts was, "well a corn dog would be really good, but that's CORN so nevermind".

I'd like to try making sauerkraut homemade too. I've seen it in big jars, but I wonder if it's easy to do at home...

YES, they are EXACTLY those Applegate hot dogs! I was excited to find them - no nitrates, grass-fed, etc. Hot dogs usually boast a scary ingredient list and reputation, but these meet all the criteria I could think of of being clean and sustainable. :-D

What awesome ideas, thanks everybody!

lil_earthmomma: Have you got your kids eating Primal on a regular basis? (Mine are eating CHEERIOS as I type this...sigh.) If people are doing this with their kids, that's very exciting to me! I have lots to learn.

Comment

Leftover hot dogs go into my scrambled eggs or omelet the next morning... I usually eat them cut up dipped in some mustard and ketchup.

Comment

ah, esloser, we make super thin egg omelets with super finely chopped green onions. Then we spread them thinly with avocado and roll the hot dogs, plus any toppings of your choice...yummm

I found a very cool company for hot dogs, check them out. http://www.tankabar.com/cgi-bin/nanf/public/main.cvw
                      Nutty Kitchen

cook for life!

Comment

Originally posted by nuttykitchen View Post
                        ah, esloser, we make super thin egg omelets with super finely chopped green onions. Then we spread them thinly with avocado and roll the hot dogs, plus any toppings of your choice...yummm

I found a very cool company for hot dogs, check them out. http://www.tankabar.com/cgi-bin/nanf/public/main.cvw
                        That sounds pretty good right now!
                        Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

Who knew there were so many things you could do with a hotdog.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
                            They're excellent wrapped in a coconut pancake; tastes like eating a corndog.
                            I am going to have to try this immediately - thanks for the idea!

Originally posted by kalewoman View Post
                            YES, they are EXACTLY those Applegate hot dogs! I was excited to find them - no nitrates, grass-fed, etc. Hot dogs usually boast a scary ingredient list and reputation, but these meet all the criteria I could think of of being clean and sustainable. :-D
                            Yes, those things are awesome. In fact, in about 10 minutes I am about to make myself a big ass salad with 3 of them

Originally posted by esloser View Post
                            Leftover hot dogs go into my scrambled eggs or omelet the next morning... I usually eat them cut up dipped in some mustard and ketchup.
                            Simple yet so yummy!!!
                            Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

http://boundtoearth.wordpress.com/20...-mac-n-cheese/

Yum What can I say, I was seriously craving mac 'n cheese with hot dogs!
                              You are what you eat,
                              and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Working...
                              X