Clafoutis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clafoutis

I made the clafoutis from the primal cookbook yesterday - using raspberries instead of peaches. It was very good - lovely flavour - but somehow lighter than the one I generally make. I really like the taste of the maple syrup. It is great to have a version that I can make with no flour - I thought it was goodbye to one of my favourites!

Today I shall try my old recipe, replacing 4 oz of plain flour with a mix of coconut and almond flour, and replacing milk with coconut milk and cream.

Next one will be cherry tomato and prosciutto - an all time favourite! A small amount of parmesan can't hurt??!!

I've made them with the coconut & almond flours - works great. Also try hazelnut flour/meal. Goes great with the fruits! I also made one with plantain & coconut & I seasoned it with garam masala. Interesting & tasty! I've found I like a slice of cold clafouti as a side to my salads. I am amazed at how satisfying & filing that is! I think clafoutis are turning into our base to go to for almost any situation!

Comment

I made this one for fam and friends. The original with my own blend of curry spice. Wow wow wow.

Comment

i made one with dill, garlic, sundried tomatoes, and chicken, and it was awesome. my primal journal has a pic of the chocolate blueberry one i made yesterday, and i fully well plan on making one using the SoG BBQ sauce because i am the SoG BBQ sauce stalker. it is such a versatile recipe and i love it!
        sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

We made the curry one from the forum and while the kids thought it was .... odd, Hubby and I thought it was really good. I toasted slivered almonds and added them to the chicken, as well as toasted the curry blend and let it 'bloom' in the cream before I finished it and ooooo so good! We did bake it in a 9x13 pan, and I think next time, I will double it so the pieces are thicker. Already planning another batch!
          Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
          ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
          Re-Start date 6/23/2011
          me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
          273.4/269.3/115
          Hubby--230/227.8/165

Comment

I made the curry one and the kids loved it! I also made a cheeseburger version, with ground beef sauteed with onions and garlic. I added that and some smoky cheddar cheese, the kids loved it! Any recipe the kids like is a keeper. I've made it with an assortment of berries too but I prefer the savory versions.
            ~Beth~ wife to Chris, mommy to Anthony Nathaniel, Anastasia Fae, Baby C, David Cillian, and Charlie George.

Comment

Hah! I got a banana + mulberry clafouti in the oven right now. Not from the book, I created it myself.

edit: I failed. My clafouti turned into scrambled eggs with fruit.
              Last edited by rphlslv; 06-16-2010, 11:17 AM.
              .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
              ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I have never even heard of clafoutis until recently!. I keep seeing people mention it but with all sorts of different ingredients. I guess it is just a base mixture and then you add whatever you want and bake it? Would someone mind posting the basic ingredients and how long to bake it? Thanks.

Comment

Actually, just posted this question in a different thread b/c I couldnt fing this one. Guess I didnt look hard enough.

I wanted to make a fruit clafouti tonight but I gorgot cream when I was at the store this morning. I CANNOT go out again, so I am bummed. Can I make it with 2 c whole milk rather than 1 c whole milk and 1 c cream? If not, is there a different adjustment I can make (minus adding coconut milk as it totally upsets my stomach) and still be able to make it tonight??? TIA!

Comment

I didn't use the recpie from the cookbook--becasue I don't have it....yet! I found the one I used in the recipes on the PB forum.
                    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
                    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
                    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
                    273.4/269.3/115
                    Hubby--230/227.8/165

Comment

etsmom, I would reduce the milk and add a couple of T of butter or ghee.

Comment

thanks egold - So, by how much, would you say, should I reduce the milk? Like 1 1/2 c milk and 2 tbs butter? I know it will be a partial experiment, and i am willing to take a chance, I just want to get the best info before i give it a try. I wsh there was a better sub for the cream... yougurt, maybe? It is thicker. Would that be totally gross?

Comment

etsmom, yes, that sounds good. Keep in mind that my understanding of the problem some clafouti experiments has been that it doesn't puff but comes out more like a frittata or scrambled eggs. I think you need to beat the egg mixture well and combine the fat and eggwhites and incorporate air. Maybe some bakers (I'm not one) can chime in with other tips.

Comment

Yes, you can make it with milk and cream mixed. Or coconut milk and cream. It is not using flour that I am having to get used to - it has been a staple for years here and I have so far subbed almond flour and coconut flour to good effect.

I think they are amazingly forgiving!
                            Originally posted by etsmom View Post
                            Actually, just posted this question in a different thread b/c I couldnt fing this one. Guess I didnt look hard enough.

I wanted to make a fruit clafouti tonight but I gorgot cream when I was at the store this morning. I CANNOT go out again, so I am bummed. Can I make it with 2 c whole milk rather than 1 c whole milk and 1 c cream? If not, is there a different adjustment I can make (minus adding coconut milk as it totally upsets my stomach) and still be able to make it tonight??? TIA!

Comment

Working...
                            X