Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Robin Williams get enough cholesterol?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Robin Williams get enough cholesterol?

In reading about the tragic health circumstances of Robin Williams; there is heart disease; depression and then Parkinsons. Could these all be related to an intake of a high carbohydrate, low cholesterol diet? Just wondering.

What I Wish Everyone Knew About Parkinson's Disease

One could only speculate. And then there are those studies that say:

"Three recent case-control studies conclude that diets high in animal fat or cholesterol are associated with a substantial increase in risk for Parkinson's disease..."
    Does a vegan diet reduce risk for Parkinson's... [Med Hypotheses. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

I dislike articles like the one you posted because they serve to spread anti-carb propaganda. The Paleo community really needs to stop demonizing macronutrients. It will come back to haunt the pioneers.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Sadly, we'll never know. Maybe he had a sensitivity to gluten. Maybe he did need more cholesterol. Or maybe it wasn't diet related. It's a terrible shame.
      Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Stefan Molyneux made a fascinating video about Robin Williams a few days ago. He apparently had a rough childhood and some terrible divorces, and the issues from them kept following him throughout his life.
        In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
          Stefan Molyneux made a fascinating video about Robin Williams a few days ago. He apparently had a rough childhood and some terrible divorces, and the issues from them kept following him throughout his life.
          Depression is a disease that sometimes kills. Looking for "reasons" why someone was depressed or ended up dying by suicide is pointless, IMO. More helpful to look into prevention and sustainable treatment, as well as reducing the stigma of the illness.

Sore point for me.
          Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
            Depression is a disease that sometimes kills. Looking for "reasons" why someone was depressed or ended up dying by suicide is pointless, IMO. More helpful to look into prevention and sustainable treatment, as well as reducing the stigma of the illness.

Sore point for me.
            Understood. I'm not a psychiatrist, just a curious person.
            In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Depression has nothing to do with a cholesterol deficiency. There seems to be a promising line of research regarding neuroinflammation and the kynurenine pathway in the pathophysiology of major depression.

Which really just comes back around to the generally unhelpful advice that everyone ignores about eating well and living a healthy lifestyle.

Comment

he struggled with cocaine addiction and i always wonder if that sort of thing permanently rewires the brain. and not in a good way.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Depression is biological: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

As the Stanford biologist in the video expounds upon, early childhood trauma makes you more prone severe depression; the kind that you don't come out of.
                  | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                    he struggled with cocaine addiction and i always wonder if that sort of thing permanently rewires the brain. and not in a good way.
                    This. Given Robin very notoriously spent all of the 80s and a chunk of the 90s on Charlie and booze and had a couple of publicised relapses (that he was ballsy enough to talk about in detail), this is going to be a much more influential factor on his neurochemistry and health than wheat or cholesterol. Coke has been proven to very much conclusively rewire the brain and the relationship between depression and alcohol dependency makes the two almost synonymous.

It's honestly like looking at a guy who was stabbed repeatedly in the face and asking "I wonder if his breakfast of pancakes and maple syrup contributed to this outcome."

Bear in mind I don't say this as a judgement on the guy - I love Robin Williams. But it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by TacotheTim View Post
                      "neuroinflammation and the kynurenine pathway"
                      Which is totally meaningless, even if someone knew what that meant, what CAUSED that inflammation?

Obviously it's environmental. Americans are physically and mentally unhealthy. All this heart disease, obesity, depression, anxiety IS related. The most obvious solution is to move out of that environment.

His going vegan probably didn't help his mental state.

Comment

Heavy metal poisoning. Mercury poisoning causes depression, lead poisoning makes it worse. Conventional medicine knows nothing of the toxins they pump into our bodies and most functional docs use an ineffective - dangerous protocol in an attempt to help people.

Mercury is in amalgam fillings, seafood, mascara, CFLs, flu shots, auto exhaust, anti-fungal paint additives

Lead is in many ceramics, go check your crock pot, water pipe solder, lipstick

Arsenic is fed to chickens to control a parasite, chicken poop is then used as fertilizer on rice fields & apple orchards

Start looking for this stuff and you'll find that you're surrounded by it. Worse yet, it's a bitch to remove from your body...safely.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                          Which is totally meaningless, even if someone knew what that meant, what CAUSED that inflammation?

Obviously it's environmental ... The most obvious solution is to move out of that environment.
                          Of course the environment causes the inflammation (not to mention oxidative stress), and there are factors shared by every major urban environment - pollution, artificial light disrupting circadian rhythm, a toxic food environment, convenient transportation reducing exercise, lack of exposure to the elements and microbes - that compromise a person's health. It's not just an America problem. Your solution to everything - move to Asia and stop eating carbs - is exactly the sort of pathetically infantile nonsense I'd expect from a simpleton like you. Much like the OP's suggestion that maybe he didn't cholesterol hard enough, bro!

Comment

That escalated quickly.
                            What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

Originally posted by TacotheTim View Post
                              It's not just an America problem.
                              It's a problem with any society that adopts that way of doing things. The USA is the best example of stupidity, so I bring it up a lot, they are exporting that stupidity...yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X