No announcement yet.

Sleeping posture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Grok probably worked so hard during the day that he fell asleep in any position his body wanted. When I've been dead tired, I've plopped down in bed and fallen asleep however my body deemed comfortable. Generally, I go between my back and my side. If I'm on my side then I have a pillow or two under my head and a pillow between my legs. That helps me feel "aligned". I also have to be careful to draw my shoulder blades down, however, I sleep because some heavy weight lifting has caused some nerve impingement and my hands will go numb if I'm not careful. Fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

I think it's normal and natural to toss and turn periodically.

Comment

Again, we're not trying to replicate the paleolithic era. There are some things we've made advances in since then.

Comment

It's interesting how many people said their chiropractor said to sleep on your back. After my car accident, mine instructed me to sleep on my side with a good pillow supporting my neck, and another pillow between my knees to keep from putting undue pressure on the lower spine.

Comment

Originally posted by jaimed722 View Post
            It's interesting how many people said their chiropractor said to sleep on your back. After my car accident, mine instructed me to sleep on my side with a good pillow supporting my neck, and another pillow between my knees to keep from putting undue pressure on the lower spine.
            That may be individualized recommendation, depending on the nature of your spinal injury.
            Depression Lies

Comment

funny how many people seemed to think I was trying to replicate Grok's time... actually my question was more meant to get insight into how people think evolutionairy it would be best to sleep. As with dealings with food. our sleep conditions have changed just as quickly, much more quickly then our body can catch up with.
              Now, I can't imagine Grok sleeping on a super soft, supporting air venting mattrass. I also can't imagine him to consciously decide to sleep on his back as it is better for him but would his body have demanded a certain sleeping posture? Would his body, and therefore ours, require sleeping on something hard and laying on our backs, or sitting up right? or even maybe a hammock?

And even more important could we (most importantly for me, me) learn from how Grok slept in hope to avoid back pains?

At home I sleep on a hard matrass and a adjustable pillow, I sleep best on that, though it's not what CW calls good for your back. At my parents's place I have a matrass that has been said to be adjustable and top of the range good stuff for your back, however with in 2 night I can't even walk anymore from the pain in my back...
              I have also noticed that the result of a night sleep depends on how I have been sleeping, on side and stomach seemed to be funest... however I can't seem to fall asleep on my back....
              My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Does anyone have a good reason why sleeping on the back is supposed to be better?
                Since the ones I find on the interwebs are hardly convincing - especially because they also say that most people sleep on the side.
                What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

Originally posted by Nillos View Post
                  Does anyone have a good reason why sleeping on the back is supposed to be better?
                  Since the ones I find on the interwebs are hardly convincing - especially because they also say that most people sleep on the side.
                  On your stomach, there's too much stress on your lower back and neck. On your side, without supports at your head and probably knees, there's strain on the neck, spine, hips, and knees. On your back, it mimics the proper alignment you'd have if standing up straight.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                    On your stomach, there's too much stress on your lower back and neck. On your side, without supports at your head and probably knees, there's strain on the neck, spine, hips, and knees. On your back, it mimics the proper alignment you'd have if standing up straight.
                    And there I though the spine wasn't meant to be straight.
                    Also I think the neck still needs to be supported when lying on the back which is harder to do than on the sides since there you can support it with your hands.
                    What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

Also I think the neck still needs to be supported when lying on the back which is harder to do than on the sides since there you can support it with your hands.
                      Well, no, not stick straight.

I meant straight as in properly aligned.

I disagree re: pillow when on your back. The back of the skull is nearly in line with the upper back and buttocks in the image above. Obviously, this would change depending on body composition, but a thin pillow or no pillow would probably be best. That's what my chiro told me and that's definitely what works for me. Your chin shouldn't be tucked towards your chest.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

Grok probably would have found laying on a grassy or leafy surface much more comfortable if done on the back, rather than on the side or the stomach. Grok didn't have pillows to support his head or protect his soft underbelly from the lumpy, uncomfortable ground. The back is the sturdiest "side" of the body, so I'd wager to guess that sleeping on one's back was not all that uncommon in pre-bed days.

As for the reasons I was told it was better to sleep on my back, is because it is the most "un-offensive" way to sleep. It's like choosing the lesser of the evil. None of the chiropractors I have gone to were impressed with my some-teen year old box spring. It caused back pain no matter which way I slept. So, the back was the lesser of evils. It put the spine in the "most" neutral position.

I don't sleep on my back, rather, I sleep on my "back" but with my feet and torso elevated. This promotes good circulation. Ever wake up with a tingly "asleep" foot? This doesn't happen anymore with my new bed and mattress. Sleeping like this puts the spine in a neutral position, rather than stick straight such as laying flat on one's back, curved inward to the left/right such as laying on one's side, or bent to the left/right if laying on one's neck.

It is *very* comfy. And not too far off from a hammock.

We can certainly learn from Grok's preference of sleeping position, but we must look at it within context: Grok chose the best available, just as I chose the best available when I had my old shitty box spring. Then, I went to the store and chose the best available. If Grok came across a Tempurpedic with adjustable frame in the woods, he'd probably sleep on it. If my only option was to sleep on a patch of grass, I'd probably choose the least uncomfortable position--my back.
                        Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                        Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                        Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                        F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

When I lay on my back, my head and neck stay in one place. No support needed. If I lay on my side, I need a pillow to support the neck into the 'comfort zone.' I have a softer mattress, though, so when on my back, my head sinks in a bit. Maybe that's why I don't need support. It is possible we are all different and all of our needs are different...
                          Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                          Well, no, not stick straight.

I meant straight as in properly aligned.

I disagree re: pillow when on your back. The back of the skull is nearly in line with the upper back and buttocks in the image above. Obviously, this would change depending on body composition, but a thin pillow or no pillow would probably be best. That's what my chiro told me and that's definitely what works for me. Your chin shouldn't be tucked towards your chest.
                          I also do not use a pillow when sleeping on my back. It causes me legitimate neck pain, stiffness and inflammation. Others who have not had a neck injury in the past may not notice the difference in comfort between using a pillow and not; but I sure do!
                          Last edited by kathleen; 08-26-2014, 02:01 PM.
                          Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                          Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                          Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                          F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

I don't have injuries, but my mild sleep apnea has worsened over the past 6 years or so. I mostly sleep on my back, so I mitigate the waking up gasping by not using a pillow.
                            Depression Lies

Comment

i'm most comfortable on my stomach/side with my head pushed up on several pillows

so.. apparently the worst way to sleep!
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                              lol

Comment

i'm most comfy sleeping on the floor with a blanket underneath and a flat/smushed pillow. mostly on my back, although i will sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to turn onto one side, then return to sleeping on my back, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X