No announcement yet.

Scared to go Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd really like to hear more about the symptoms of carb withdrawal. That is my down fall at the moment.. getting of those nasty carbs. But I'm getting there. I only had the chance to have breakfast (chicken and pumpkin from the night before) and didnt get a chance to eat till 4pm due to circumstance beyound my control.. and apart from feeling hungry and thirsty by then, I felt surprisingly ok. What has really helped in reading about not freaking out if missing a meal from Marks book. I've been terrified my milk supply ( am breastfeeding) would be comprimised, but it wasn't affected at.. Boobies kept making milk regardless.. isnt mother nature a wonderfull thing!

Comment

Coconut,
      My first week primal was miserable. I was groggy and slow, generally useless crappy feeling. I had to keep my carbs below 100g/day for about 5 days before it passed. My body was accustomed to getting 250-400g carbs/day from processed foods with lots of sugar and grain, so it was a big change! I'm surprised it passed as quickly as it did. During that time I did not have the energy to exercise without getting dizzy, so I took it easy. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. Helen in Oz, you are right about going slowly. I still get quite hungry and baby's feeding varies day to day. But I'm still a bit confused about how much to eat to lose weight and breast feed while going primal. The silly thing is, our ancestors only ate primal, and maybe some days did not eat much at all.. and stillll produced babies and breastfed. I feel I need to trust my body to look after my baby and not be scare-mongered by CV that we need to eat as much as CV says we do.

Comment

You dont have to give up the rice protein.
          "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

It will continue to get better, just don't quit, ease your way into it and you will see some great results.

Comment

Originally posted by hermanda View Post
              Hey I just wanted to thank you for the "eat fat first, protein 2ed, and non-starchy carbs a distant 3ed" statement. It keeps popping into my head when I start getting hungry (my body is waking up it's amazing! I go from not being hungry at all to ravenous.) Today I had more energy, way less bloating and a level of communication with my body that is really exciting. I'm starting to feel like I can understand what it wants (really wants) and it's blowing me away. Thanks again for the encouragement:-)
              Glad to here everything is going great so far! Keep it up and continue to listen to your body - its smart! In my opinion, the words here in this thread have been very supportive. All have been excellent advice.

Take baby steps with it if you need to. I have a friend who is going cold turkey and is doing great so far. But, a lot of people just need to take it slow. By living a primal lifestyle you will probably add a few years to your life
              Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Hermanda.... just wanted to say that I had that "bloating" for, I kid you not, several YEARS. I was regularly going to my doctor (old one) complaining, and trying to figure out and they just tested me said you're fine and that's it. I would be so bloated it was like being 7 months pregnant (and I've been pregnant twice, so I am not exaggerating). Clothes wouldn't fit...

Eating differently (first with an elimination diet back in October of last year), and now with primal, helped me figure out which foods were affecting my digestion. Eliminating them has pretty much eliminated that bloated feeling-- and I went about 6 months with being that bloated every single solitary day.

I found taht for me, definitely grains, sugars, alcohol, sodas and some dairy affected me. I still do eat sour cream on occasion and cream in my tea, but very little and I do fine. But things like cottage cheese-- instant bad. So feel free to do some experimentation as well... as one thing to remember is we are all different!
                sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Sounds great.Keep it up

Comment

Originally posted by hermanda View Post
                    Thanks everyone:-) Well I'm going to try this for a week and see how I feel. I even took some before pics. How do i know how many calories I need? Should I worry about that or just listen to my tummy? I have so many old ways of thinking about food and what is "healthy" for living and weight loss that will need to be suspended. TOWANDA!
                    132 lbs
                    26yrs old F
                    25.84% BF
                    http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/a...May2010101.jpg
                    http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/a...May2010102.jpg
                    http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/a...May2010103.jpg
                    Link die,check it out please

Comment

A faint heart never won the fair maiden.

Comment

This is a resurrected thread. It looks like she did end up going primal.
                        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

It definitely IS a jump to wrap your mind around this vs. conventional wisdom isn't it?!
                          I second the opinion of giving it a month.
                          I also recommend you keep a food journal (there are a lot of online ones, I like spark people) because it can help you see where you might need to adjust some things. For me I was EXHAUSTED the first week. Could it be my body didn't know how to fuel itself from what I was eating? Yeah. Could it have been from the fact that I had cut out the easy carbs (grains!) and not managed to replace them properly so I was only eating about 1000 calories a day? HELL YEAH. As soon as I started eating more I felt better. But I didn't realize how much I was under eating until I looked back at my log.

Comment

Working...
                          X