kid food questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kid food questions

I have a 12 year old boy who is making the jump from non paleo to paleo lifestyle.. And I have no idea what kind of breakfast to give him as options every day.. The problem I am running into is.. He has allergies to peanuts (not sure about the rest, if it has the word nut, he stays away.. I do sneak him coconut flour in some recipes and he is fine) and eating eggs, but can cook with eggs and eat them no problem if he cant see them. Doesn't do omelettes and such..

Any ideas? Need some that are quick that can be pulled from the freezer and reheated and some can be made from scratch that morning.
    (my weightloss blog)

Started my Journey Sept 1, 2009
    Stats: 5'11", 365 lbs, 27 Years Young
    Total weight lost: 80 lbs
    Current weight: 285
    Goal 12/31/10: 200

Restarted my journey June 1, 2014
    Stats: 5'11", 350 lbs, 31 Years Young
    Total weight lost: 0 lbs
    Current weight: 350
    Goal 12/31/14: 300

I'm not a kid, but my breakfast is 2 hardboiled eggs, half an avocado, and one banana. Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

same here.. But he has an issue with eggs.. unless they are cooked in something and he cant see it.. he wont eat it..
      (my weightloss blog)

Comment

Originally posted by souter26 View Post
        same here.. But he has an issue with eggs.. unless they are cooked in something and he cant see it.. he wont eat it..
        There is a recipe in which you cook chopped tomatoes (for 20 minutes or so), add whisked eggs and cook until eggs are done. It makes something like a bright red mash. Peppers and feta and onions can be added as well. Eggs are pretty much hidden (flavour wise) but I do not know if optically can be considered hidden enough.

Comment

He won't eat it because he doesn't like it? When I was growing up, if that were the case I did not get a meal. Of course the parenting styles of the 90s are ethically questionable!

Try:
          Bacon, sausage, ham
          Plain yogurt with some fruit and honey
          Banana+egg pancakes (2 bananas, 1 egg; mix and fry. They don't look like eggs. I think there's a thread about them on here).
          Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
          Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
          Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
          F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

I am hoping eventually I can get him to like eggs.. I am just freshly new in his life, step-mom as of next week
            (my weightloss blog)

Comment

Ah. Well it could be a phase, too. I 'disliked' pretty much everything my new stepmom had to offer at age 14. Then, I got over it and decided to try coffee--very glad I did
              Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

F/23/5'9"

Comment

No idea. My kid eats what we eat - - or rather what my husband eats because my paleo is a little different.

Today he's had:

3 eggs in butter, steamed veggies, berries and yogurt;
                2 3 ox meat patties with steamed veggies, three apples and a hand full of nuts;
                whatever dinner will be for them -- I'm working.

Oh, and about 4 oz home made green juice.

He's not picky,t hough. His favorite food is sushi but he pretty much eats everything.

Comment

Eat meat
                  My opinions and some justification

Comment

So far he has liked everything I give him.. and has helped me out in the kitchen a few times.. either cutting stuff up or mixing a bowl.. He has enjoyed hanging out with me since day 1.. Which is great.. Just trying to make his switch from processed foods to healthy GF/paleo meals while still working with his nut allergy.. He is willing to try foods he hasn't liked in the past again.. with a fresh start with me.. So I am hoping I can get him out of the egg funk hes been in for years.
                    (my weightloss blog)

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
                      Eat meat
                      Love it..
                      (my weightloss blog)

Comment

Breakfast is the one are that our kids eat different from us (we have bacon and eggs). They have ricies/cornflakes/weetbix/meusli with milk/cream/yoghurt on them.

Occasionally we'll have a bunch of leftover potatoes from last night's dinner that we reheat in the oven and they eat that then.
                        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Dinner leftovers. You could even dish them as you serve dinner, then he can just reheat in the morning.

Whole milk smoothie.

Bacon and mushrooms (just a small step to adding eggs some time down the track).

You can make home made hash browns with leftover mashed potatoes, stir in a beaten egg (it will be hidden), form patties and panfry in butter.

Banana pancakes as mentioned earlier. I like to add a tablespoon of cocoa making them chocolate banana pancakes. Yum!

Or do more regular pancakes with a gluten-free flour?
                          Annie Ups the Ante
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by souter26 View Post
                            He has allergies to peanuts (not sure about the rest, if it has the word nut, he stays away.. I do sneak him coconut flour in some recipes and he is fine)
                            I find this a little worrying.
                            Is it a self diagnosed allergy or did a Dr Rx it?

Because that sort of lack of information is kinda bad. Peanuts are legumes and while someone can have allergies to peanuts and tree nuts they are two different allergies.

Coconuts aren't related to either.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

It is common for people with tree nut allergies to also be allergic to coconut (not me, thank god). That's why the FDA started labeling it as a tree nut; there were some documented cases of coconut causing reaction in those with tree nut allergies. A Google search will yield a myriad of results.

It is also common those allergic to peanuts to be allergic to tree nuts, and vice versa. My brother and I are both allergic to tree nuts AND peanuts. Yes, peanut is a legume, but it makes sense for me because I am also allergic to soy (a close relative).

I am sure the kid just heard he was allergic to peanuts at a young age, and was told to avoid nuts in general (because really, how do you for example teach the botanical difference of a peanut and an almond to, say, a 4 year old?) Better safe than sorry.
                              A blood allergy test would be informative, though!

F/23/5'9"

Comment

Working...
                              X