No Wonder We're Screwed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kathleen View Post

...yet obesity during pregnancy does not hold the same stigma as smoking or drinking while pregnant.
    I think it does, just not to the same extent.
    I know someone, and no one believed she was pregnant until she was walking around with the baby (she was just that big).

I've know others that felt "fat shamed" by the health professionals looking after them. (And I've been told the more fat you have the harder an ultrasound is to do)
    I've heard women comment on large women with newborns with remarks along the lines of "how is she ment to keep up when the child gets older, I wonder if the child will end up fat"

I've had an overweight friend tell my daughter to run after her son because she physically couldn't. When I pointed out that wasn't a good thing, her reply was that some people are just meant to be fat

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Well personally, when I see a super-obese pregnant woman (really, how do you tell???) I have a stigma to it. I think it's quite frankly child abuse. And I see obese women in the grocery store buying poor quality food for their children. It makes me so sad.

The stigma isn't as prominent as smoking, though. I mean, 67% of the US is overweight or obese. It's acceptable and actually normal to be overweight when pregnant; you see the pregnant woman on TV eating ice cream and think it's just the normal, healthy way to have a pregnancy. It's the slender people that get most of the shaming; like "you should eat more, you're eating for two!"

But as long as you're a non-smoker, it's okay.
      Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
      Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
      Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
      F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

• Plenty of overweight people here in South-America also, but not THAT kind of overweight as I see in the US! Holy Grok, visiting Walmart is like entering a Sumo wrestling club house; gigantic obese people everywhere…
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
          Plenty of overweight people here in South-America also, but not THAT kind of overweight as I see in the US! Holy Grok, visiting Walmart is like entering a Sumo wrestling club house; gigantic obese people everywhere…
          It's definitely becoming more acceptable to be fat; on the one hand, it's a good thing because people should not be shunned. But the increasing denial of it as a health issue is disconcerting. I follow another website and there are very obese people who cling to this concept that because they are 20something and don't have any illness, that carrying 150-200 lbs extra is not unhealthy. Carrying that much extra fat is a sign something is wrong, be it your diet,thyroid, food allergies.... but something is not right.

It gets so emotionally charged though and made into a moral issue- hell, you might be 300 lbs because you have a nightshade allergy or a chemical imbalance.

Those pics posted earlier of people who weren't "fat" well, they looked fat. It didn't mean they weren't unattractive.... they just carry excess fat that the removal of could help improve health. Denying that or claiming those bodies are as healthy as say, Mr Anthony's is silly.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
            Plenty of overweight people here in South-America also, but not THAT kind of overweight as I see in the US! Holy Grok, visiting Walmart is like entering a Sumo wrestling club house; gigantic obese people everywhere…
            This has been my experience. The prices are cheap, but I've been avoiding Walmart as much as possible because it's so depressing. Each time I go there, I see an obese person riding a motorized scooter every few aisles.
            In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• People Of Walmart - Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart : People Of Walmart

Comment

• So classic.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• The chubbier girls in my summer associates class all eat 5 cookies while standing around and shovel chips and guac down their throat before huge greasy meals (burgers and tacos), etc. They also tell themselves it's all genetic as their family is just all chubby. The "naturally thin" girls order a salad and don't really eat much of the dessert. They might eat a fried chicken finger here and there, but for the most part they eat just enough to sustain them and not overdo it.

This 5' tall girl in my associates class eats the same amount as I do (i.e. A lot). I am 5'9", works out daily, and have a decently fast metabolism. She is only just slightly chubby and I am over here envying HER metabolism...

But of course... Fat logic is such that calorie counting is symptom of an ED and obesity is super healthy.
                  JOURNAL..
                  @BabesWithBBQ.
                  Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                  Professional Style Website.
                  #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Why not just let the situation work itself out instead of being worked up over it.
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• TQP - you would have hated me if I were in your summer associate class. I pigged out on whatever I was given and still stayed thin. Gained a bit of weight, but not enough to really make a difference. The weight gain was more due to sleep deprivation than to food.

I still eat like a pig and stay thin. There are people with high metabolisms out there. We do exist.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Every time I go to WalMart I feel like a shark swimming through a sea of catfish. Actually, I feel like that most places, really.

Comment

• Originally posted by meepster View Post
                          TQP - you would have hated me if I were in your summer associate class. I pigged out on whatever I was given and still stayed thin. Gained a bit of weight, but not enough to really make a difference. The weight gain was more due to sleep deprivation than to food.

I still eat like a pig and stay thin. There are people with high metabolisms out there. We do exist.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                          I think her point is that she isn't genetically gifted, she works at being the size she is but miss 5' thinks otherwise

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

• The Fat Nutritionist.....About
                            "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                              Every time I go to WalMart I feel like a shark swimming through a sea of catfish. Actually, I feel like that most places, really.
                              Same for me but I compare it to more a wolf stalking a flock of sheep. Not that I'm some Hulk looking dude, it is more attitude than anything else. There is just something about a majority of people in the US that makes me think of week, meek and mild sheep.

Fat or not, weak is weak.
                              Randal
                              AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                              Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                              http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

• Yeah meepster... I think you missed the point lol. XD
                                JOURNAL..
                                @BabesWithBBQ.
                                Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                                Professional Style Website.
                                #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Working...
                                X