No Wonder We're Screwed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I'd say we are simply transitioning to a point where being obese is accepted as a normal and a condition of limited concern. I think part of my issue is I hang out with 20 something Crossfitters. When I look at my peers, for the most part, they look like the dietician. And well, at 40, they take pills and have health issues. And I look at myself and am like, damn, I am doing great; but then compared to fit people, I'm carrying excess fat.
    I was thinking about this a few days ago. I'm 58 and I take no medication, OTC or Rx but almost everyone I know around my age is fat and taking multiple medications. I'm far from being fit but at the gym in Suez last night, I was outperforming guys less than half my age. I'm not sure if that is a testament to my physical fitness or a statement about the overall condition of Egyptians (who are catching up to Americans), likely the latter.

But still, we did about 1.5 hours of exercise and I still wasn't done, guess I'm doing ok.

Regarding the medication, a lot of that is so unneeded. One article said that 70% of Americans are taking at least one prescription medication, 1 in 5 are taking 4 or more prescription medications.

This does not count OTC (Over The counter) medications and I don’t think it includes vaccinations.

And a lot of that is marketing, such as statin drugs being pushed.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by meepster View Post
      Sleep deprivation causes obesity. Hospital food is awful. Nursing work is stressful and people self-medicate with nicotine or whatever other drugs they have available. No one is too interested in improving working conditions for nurses - it's easier to pick on fat people for being fat.
      It's easier to import foreigners who will put up with stressful working conditions than improve working conditions to make them humane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
        Is this a real thing? A triple-chinned dietician telling people which candy to choose? Saw this pic without any context; maybe someone can find it online for the back story.

Sent via lightsaber
        What horrifies me, FAR MORE than her matching chins, is the fact that she has NO EYEBROWS! Am I the only one to note this?
        I refuse to take anyone involved seriously that allows themselves (by a make-up artist or personally) to be portrayed in such a manner. Even if she suffers from alopecia or lost them to chemotherapy, they could have at least added some to balance the face and give a truer expression.
        [wanders off shaking head] the horror, the horror....

Comment

• Originally posted by eats.meats.west View Post

In other words, you wouldn’t know a FAT person if you saw him. He might actually be a 165 lb obese man.
          I might not know a 165lb "obese" (aka skinny fat) man when I see him, but I WOULD know a 300lbs obese man when I see him. (Caveat: rare out-liars like Shaq)
          No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
          -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

• Originally posted by OyaOshun View Post
            What horrifies me, FAR MORE than her matching chins, is the fact that she has NO EYEBROWS! Am I the only one to note this?
            I refuse to take anyone involved seriously that allows themselves (by a make-up artist or personally) to be portrayed in such a manner. Even if she suffers from alopecia or lost them to chemotherapy, they could have at least added some to balance the face and give a truer expression.
            [wanders off shaking head] the horror, the horror....
            Interestingly, lack of eyebrows is a classic symptom of hypothyroid. So is weight gain, for that matter.
            Janeen

Comment

• Originally posted by ELizabeth826 View Post
              I might not know a 165lb "obese" (aka skinny fat) man when I see him, but I WOULD know a 300lbs obese man when I see him. (Caveat: rare out-liars like Shaq)
              Maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't. The fact that the media is full of photos of "headless fatties" to illustrate every article that mentions "the war on obesity" has led Americans to believe that the threshold for "obesity" is much higher than it is, and "morbid obesity" is much more prevalent than it is.

Shakesville: Why BMI Is a Crock, in Pictures
              What "overweight" looks like and why BMI is nuts. | MetaFilter

Comment

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                Maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't. The fact that the media is full of photos of "headless fatties" to illustrate every article that mentions "the war on obesity" has led Americans to believe that the threshold for "obesity" is much higher than it is, and "morbid obesity" is much more prevalent than it is.

I do not care a whit about BMI, and I'm not suggesting that I could look at someone and gauge where they fall on that spectrum. And there is probably a 40ish pound window of weights at which I would see a person and figure they are at a normal, biologically appropriate weight for their body.

What I'm saying is that when someone is carrying a lot of extra weight for their frame, you can tell visually. Look, I used to read a lot of Lesley Kinzel and Marianne Kirby (before they moved to xojane because that site is horrid) and Kate Harding. I am all for not "shaming" someone for how they look, treating everyone with respect, etc. But to say that you cannot look at those women and see that they are fat is absurd. And furthermore, THEY would find it absurd.
                -Maimonodies

Babes with BBQ

Comment

• Originally posted by janeen View Post
                  Interestingly, lack of eyebrows is a classic symptom of hypothyroid. So is weight gain, for that matter.
                  Or maybe she gets abducted by aliens every night and is force fed Twinkies while strapped to a chair. Does it really matter why this person is obese? All of those far-fetched theories many on this thread propose don't change the fact that there is an obese nutritionist who advices people on what to eat, and there is something wrong with that picture, literally and figuratively speaking.

Btw, I know plenty of women varying in age - from their mid-20s to late 50s, who blame their excess weight on hypothyroidism. Never mind the fact they never exercise and portion control is a foreign concept to them.
                  It always has to be someone/something else's fault.
                  Last edited by Graycat; 06-12-2014, 10:13 AM.

Comment

bmi or not, if you think a 5'8" female who weighs 224lbs, a 5'7" 225lb female and a 5'7" female who weighs 280 aren't grossly overweight, then you might be a little delusional. bmi doesn't count for guys in the nfl. with the exception of some outliers, it's pretty close for the average person.

Maurice jones drew is 5'7", and only 210, and the dude is nothing but muscle. your examples outweigh him by 14, 15 and 70lbs respectively. those people are grossly overweight. Michael strahan is 6'5" and played at 275lbs. pure muscle and one of the best defensive ends of all time. mariusz pudzianowski (world's strongest man several times) is 6'1", 313 lbs. he's 6 inches taller and only 33lbs heavier than the 280lb woman you showed us. bmi doesn't count for those guys because of the amount of muscle they carry. it doesn't count for holly mangold. it should be pretty darn close for at least 90% of the population though

Comment

I don't get it. Because some of these girls don't look what you would expect for someone with a BMI of that number, we should just throw it out the window and they shouldn't lose weight?

Or that Americans are somehow being tricked into thinking you have to look a certain way to be fat?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannakb View Post
                        I don't get it. Because some of these girls don't look what you would expect for someone with a BMI of that number, we should just throw it out the window and they shouldn't lose weight?

Or that Americans are somehow being tricked into thinking you have to look a certain way to be fat?
                        It's part of the American way. Instead of just saying we're fat as hell and need to lose some weight, we instead try to redefine what being fat is, so we don't seem so fat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emtropy
                          "Healthism" is what they call it.
                          Lol. DOn't want to be label as a "Healthist Pig"

Comment

• "Healthism" reminded me of this: His face says what we're all thinking. - Imgur

As one commenter put it, "What did the doctor say?" "Well, you can't tell just by looking!" "Yes, that's why I asked what a professional doctor said."
                            -Maimonodies

Babes with BBQ

Comment

• Healthism. Imagine, the implication that one has a moral obligation to be healthy. Can't have that.

I think my head is going to explode.
                              Janeen

Comment

• May I go out on a limb and say people should have a moral obligation to be healthy? One has the moral obligation not to smoke, do drugs or drink alcohol during pregnancy, yet obesity during pregnancy contributes to a myriad of problems: Pregnancy Risk Factor: Obesity

...yet obesity during pregnancy does not hold the same stigma as smoking or drinking while pregnant.

And another moral obligation to be healthy: What about your family? You want to leave them early and leave them with hundreds of thousands in debt from medical bills?

I would say people have a moral obligation to their loved ones to be healthy.
                                Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                                Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                                Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                                F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X