No Wonder We're Screwed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
    Have I reached my goals? No and to be honest, I never will. Because my goal is to be in the absolute best condition that I can possibly be and I realize that I will never reach my full potential. But it is about the trip, not the finish to life. We all end our life the same way, dead, we just take different paths to the end.
    Good to remind some basic piece of wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Tassie View Post
      What a thoroughly entertaining thread to read through. Mr Anthony and his "antics" does make me laugh, so thanks for that.

Just for the record, perhaps that specific Dietician was not the right person to use for the promotion, well in my humble opinion anyway.

And .... the rest of the world is not laughing at America/Americans, we still loves ya.

Tassie
      welll. laughing a bit...
      "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
        a cw dietician recommending dark chocolate is sort of surprising

sort of like slowly the tides are turning away from crap food. first there was the gluten-free trend, then fat is okay for you, then eat the yolk, now it's 'if you're gonna eat candy, try to get the less junky one'
        Dark chocolate (70%+) and red wine have been a CW 'healthy thing' for a while now.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fitmom View Post
          In reality, the person who has accomplished the most toward their goal should be the one you choose. A perpetually thin, eating disordered woman or a young man who has never been injured, old or overweight may LOOK like you want to, but they may lack the skills to help you reach your goal.

Mark gained his wisdom about primal, as so many others did, after his health broke down. The woman could have lost 100 lbs--or she could be diligently following the ADA recommendations and wondering wtf is wrong with her 'genes.' Most of us on the forum have been there, trying our best on SAD and feeling horrid. If you haven't, you're lucky.
          This is a good point. I gained a lot of weight by following the advice of naturally thin, healthy-looking people. What worked for them did not work for me. Of course, what worked for them then may or may not still be working for them.

So, off-topic for the picture of the dietician, but I choose people who have accomplished what I want to accomplish -- the person who has lost a lot of weight and kept it off, the person who has put autoimmune disease into remission and reclaimed health, the person who started out in debt and became rich without some unlikely lucky break, the non-athlete who became very fit, etc.

It has been working for me.
          Janeen

Comment

No Wonder We're Screwed

I think it's hilarious that someone will dismiss a thin person for being either genetically blessed or anorexic, but will promote an obviously obese dietician as potentially healthy. At the end of the day...these are moot points.

This is NOT about an overweight person in the streets. It's about an overweight person being ADVERTISED as an authority on healthy foods. What is the most disturbing is what the advertisers' thought process was in putting such a person on the ad to make food look healthy. You don't advertise an Anti-Aging Cream with an older lady...you want to connect it with youth. It's all about association psychology. Likewise, it is mind boggling that someone would connect a food with obesity in order to promote the food's *image* as a health food.

I love how every topic on obesity always brings a bunch of people previously or currently overweight to the yard, huffing and puffing and getting PERSONALLY offended over a commentary of a SOCIAL phenomena.
            Last edited by TQP; 06-11-2014, 04:39 AM.
            JOURNAL..
            @BabesWithBBQ.
            Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
            Professional Style Website.
            #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by TQP View Post
              I think it's hilarious that someone will dismiss a thin person for being either genetically blessed or anorexic, but will promote an obviously obese dietician as potentially healthy. At the end of the day...these are moot points.

This is NOT about an overweight person in the streets. It's about an overweight person being ADVERTISED as an authority on healthy foods. What is the most disturbing is what the advertisers' thought process was in putting such a person on the ad to make food look healthy. You don't advertise an Anti-Aging Cream with an older lady...you want to connect it with youth. It's all about association psychology. Likewise, it is mind boggling that someone would connect a food with obesity in order to promote the food's *image* as a health food.

I love how every topic on obesity always brings a bunch of people previously or currently overweight to the yard, huffing and puffing and getting PERSONALLY offended over a commentary of a SOCIAL phenomena.

i still havent thin shamed anybody, i didnt know quoting a commercial who's main them is 'relax, its all gonna be okay' was gonna be thin shaming but woo! my bad guys ;D
              beautiful
              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
              lol

Comment

i still havent thin shamed anybody, i didnt know quoting a commercial who's main them is 'relax, its all gonna be okay' was gonna be thin shaming but woo! my bad guys ;D
                Help, help, I'm being repressed!
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

No Wonder We're Screwed

Was not referring to you. There's a reason I didn't quote you... I was referring to the general trend and a few other comments on this thread.

People always assume I am naturally this way (thinnish). I am not. I also didn't build 20lbs of muscle with good genes... I have gotten up at 5am every weekday morning for the past 3 weeks to workout before going to my law firm job. I have said no to every dessert that popped in front of me too. Those who whine about genes and "no time" can just suck it.
                  Last edited by TQP; 06-11-2014, 05:05 AM.
                  JOURNAL..
                  @BabesWithBBQ.
                  #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Haven't noticed anyone in this thread actually huffing and puffing so ease down TPQ, you're grinding on metal.

On topic: I would think this is EXACTLY the kind of advertising we'd like to see, overweight people advertising junk food! It's kinda in your face .. eat this to be overweight like me. Kind of like the Aussie cigarette packs showing pictures of diseased lungs.. smoke this if you want to shit on your own lungs. This advert is better then showing Olympic athletes advertising sugar loaded cereals. I'm putting this ad in the 'win' column
                    I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

Comment

No Wonder We're Screwed

Originally posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
                      Haven't noticed anyone in this thread actually huffing and puffing so ease down TPQ, you're grinding on metal.
                      Really? Hm...

I would have thought these people were like "oh noes! Fat joke!"...when the original post wasn't a fat diss at all.

Originally posted by fitmom View Post
                      In reality, the person who has accomplished the most toward their goal should be the one you choose. A perpetually thin, eating disordered woman or a young man who has never been injured, old or overweight may LOOK like you want to, but they may lack the skills to help you reach your goal.

Mark gained his wisdom about primal, as so many others did, after his health broke down. The woman could have lost 100 lbs--or she could be diligently following the ADA recommendations and wondering wtf is wrong with her 'genes.' Most of us on the forum have been there, trying our best on SAD and feeling horrid. If you haven't, you're lucky.
                      Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                      Don't you wish fat people would just stay out of the health industry completely? In fact, maybe they should just sit on their couches watching tv and collecting welfare so healthy-weight people could feel even more self-righteous.

If I had previously had any negative feelings toward the overweight populace, this forum has cured them completely. I've always been a sucker for the underdog, and the opinions and nastiness expressed at MDA toward fat people has made me love them. They're right up there with the oppressed cigarette smokers in my opinion.

Peace and love.
                      Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                      Co-signed.
                      when i saw 'overweight', 'dietician', and 'candy' i felt a deep, literal cringe just waiting for the fat jokes that would practically write themselves

scattered across the forum at various times, comments are made

she's following her own health advice, yo. just like you did, just like i did.
                      Originally posted by RenegadeRN View Post
                      Maybe she is a newly minted dietician who hasn't been in the field long enough to shed the weight?? Maybe she has a thyroid issue that has affected her weight and is trying to get it under control? Geez people! Not everyone is overweight because they eat a crappy diet. Granted a lot of people ARE... But some are not. Benefit of the doubt? . ... Nah, not with this crowd!

Maybe she has actually lost 100lbs already -on her way to MDA perfection?

It could happen , even to You!

(OMFGOFFTOPICBBQ: funny how many people misspell a 3-letter screenname...)
                      Last edited by TQP; 06-11-2014, 05:23 AM.
                      JOURNAL..
                      @BabesWithBBQ.
                      #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        Help, help, I'm being repressed!
                        silence peasant, im asserting privilidge

Was not referring to you. There's a reason I didn't quote you... I was referring to the general trend and a few other comments on this thread.

People always assume I am naturally this way (thinnish). I am not. I also didn't build 20lbs of muscle with good genes... I have gotten up at 5am every weekday morning for the past 3 weeks to workout before going to my law firm job. I have said no to every dessert that popped in front of me too. Those who whine about genes and "no time" can just suck it.
                        well youll have to forgive my presumptive nature, as i was unjustly accused with accusations of thin shamave. and thats the only time thin shami.g was brought up

i had no recourse but to lol
                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                        lol

Comment

A lot of people work hard and see a variety of results; it's different for everyone. People really should not assume anything about how hard people work. My friend Annie looks ripped and amazing; started lifting LAST FALL, is about 120lbs, squats over 200, deadlifts over 200, benches over 120.... and eats about like me. (80/20). 2 pretty different results via similar efforts.

She works hard to look like she does; I work hard to look like I do, but only one of us has a body that could be on the cover of Fitness, lol.

However, beyond the pursuit of fitness model bodies (not everyone can or should look like that), there are so many health professionals that are just very obese. That jump from three chins to looking healthy isn't really that hard. It doesn't require TQP level of dedication.

And just going to put this out there- but maybe given the level of obesity in this country, we simply should not have healthy choice signs in the candy aisle. If you are 300 lbs., the choice between sugar filled ghiradelli bars at 150 calories or a sugar filled twix at 150 calories is irrelevant.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

silence peasant, im asserting privilidge

well youll have to forgive my presumptive nature, as i was unjustly accused with accusations of thin shamave. and thats the only time thin shami.g was brought up

i had no recourse but to lol
                            At first I did think you were...but the snickers ad makes sense. Honestly though, I wouldn't really care about the "thin shaming" comments if they weren't spoken by the very same people who also are like "omg too many fat shaming people!" ...
                            JOURNAL..
                            @BabesWithBBQ.
                            #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Snickers ad makes sense, if you watch tv (I'm assuming cause I haven't heard it on the radio, also in another country here)

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post

And just going to put this out there- but maybe given the level of obesity in this country, we simply should not have healthy choice signs in the candy aisle. If you are 300 lbs., the choice between sugar filled ghiradelli bars at 150 calories or a sugar filled twix at 150 calories is irrelevant.
                                but, but, but I had a hard day at work. I deserve it

Comment

Working...
                                X