Matt Fitzgerald: "Diet Cults"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Fitzgerald: "Diet Cults"

Just heard Matt interviewed on our local NPR mid-morning show.

Here's his book: Diet Cults: The Surprising Fallacy at the Core of Nutrition Fads and a Guide to Healthy Eating for the Rest of US: Matt Fitzgerald: 9781605985602: Amazon.com: Books

I've never heard of him; wondered if there's been any reaction from the Primal/Paleosphere about his ideas. He singled out "Paleo" during the interview...
    Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

I found this recent audio interview with the author and am listening now.
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

Comment

30BAD is certainly a cult.

Paleo? Maybe.

Primal? Not so much. At least not here, anyways.

M.

Comment

We see other diets as cults but never our own...
        JOURNAL..
        @BabesWithBBQ.
        Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
        Professional Style Website.
        #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Nah...what I follow would better be defined as ancestral health, but paleo and primal are missing some important traits to being cults. His whole premise is likely to be an expansion of how a cult is defined rather than any realistic correlation between dietary trends and actual cults for wow factor.
          Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-13-2014, 07:29 AM.

Comment

I actually seriously considered starting my own following for awhile.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              you should have, i'd have thought about joining for at least half a second
              beautiful
              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
              lol

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                The pony brigade?

Comment

Originally posted by Neeleh View Post
                  I found this recent audio interview with the author and am listening now.
                  This guy seems more calm and sensible than his book cover suggests. The backlash is puzzling--don't all nutrition books recommend more of some things and less of others? IIRC even Cordain prescribed 1-2 whatever meals per week.
                  37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Paleo/primal may not be a cult, but there are definitely cult-like factions within, especially in the forums. It's almost at a point that the CICO versus low-carb groups are going to the battlefield to determine which of their gods is the one true god.

Comment

His thesis (at least with Paleo) seems to be that 1) We can't know what early man ate, 2) the "We didn't have enough time to adapt evolutionarily to grains, etc, thing is wrong (he says we adapt very quickly, and 3) I forget the third thing. (Ooops.)
                      Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                        30BAD is certainly a cult.

Paleo? Maybe.

Primal? Not so much. At least not here, anyways.
                        Is this sarcasm?
                        Last edited by JimenyKrickets; 05-15-2014, 09:31 AM.

Comment

It seems interesting. I might read it. But I will say, adopting a position of moderation when it comes to diet can really close a person's mind when it comes to improving their health. "Eat whatever you want, love yourself, all disease is genetic" seems to be a common message I see floating around social media. So if I try to help someone I love from killing themselves by restricting something they like - even for a good, scientifically sound reason - they won't do it, because disease is genetic, and life's too short not to eat what you like.

Like my sister, the Queen of White Flour, might be able to achieve better mental health if she were to, you know, not eat so much white flour, but that's too extreme. Or perhaps my mother-in-law who doesn't believe MS has anything to do with diet and drinks away her sorrows. People invoke genetics at every turn except when it's appropriate. They try to cultivate the habits of the longest lived people on the planet without considering the contribution of genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by JimenyKrickets View Post
                            Is this sarcasm?
                            Sorta kinda. TQP called the joke, but really our mainline contributors here are so fragmented over basic stuff we'd make the least cohesive cult ever.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
                              But I will say, adopting a position of moderation when it comes to diet can really close a person's mind when it comes to improving their health.
                              Ya, unfortunately moderation and balance are arbitrary and relative to whatever is familiar to an individual. If Coke with every meal is excessive then maybe Coke with every other meal is moderate/balanced.
                              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Working...
                              X