Human meat anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TQP View Post
    I don't understand why it's so "gross." It's just meat... and from a human or a cow.
    Because I am civilized, cannabilism is not. I have domesticated animals raised for the sole purpose of being eaten, I do not need to eat part of my wife/child.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
      Because I am civilized, cannabilism is not. I have domesticated animals raised for the sole purpose of being eaten, I do not need to eat part of my wife/child.
      Therefore you are saying I am not civilized along with maybe a fifth to a sixth of the worlds population who thinks this is completely normal and acceptable?

Comment

Such an American... Am I right? Value and perhaps moral judgements based on your narrow range of experiences.
        JOURNAL..
        @BabesWithBBQ.
        Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
        Professional Style Website.
        #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

That's not weird IMO. Then again I am Chinese. XD
          Such an American... Am I right? Value and perhaps moral judgements based on your narrow range of experiences.
          That would be human society as a whole, really.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
            That would be human society as a whole, really.

M.
            Yes of course. notice how I qualified my initial answer with my lens of perspective and my context.
            JOURNAL..
            @BabesWithBBQ.
            #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

The first time I had sushi it was at a Korean market where the owner always gave my husband and me special attention because we were good patrons. Anyway, he gave me a briefing on nori and how they feed seaweed to whales after they give birth because it's so restorative. So... placenta sushi ftw?
              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by wugang View Post
                Therefore you are saying I am not civilized along with maybe a fifth to a sixth of the worlds population who thinks this is completely normal and acceptable?
                Yes, yes I am. You are, for all intensive purposes, eating bodily waste. If you have a tonsillectomy do you eat the tissue? Do you eat your scabs? Do you clip your nails and then eat them? Do you take your hair home from the salon and eat it? Do you consume stillborns (I mean, 'it's a wonderful source of collagen, screw gelatin!!!' see, it's a disgusting and perverse practice)?

Please, give me an excuse as to why you don't and then try and say 'oh but it's different with placenta' because it's not. It comes from backwards practices that were spiritual in nature, unless you feat on placentas daily the nutritional benefit is suspect at best.

Placentophagy is a barbaric custom, especially for males. In nature placentophagy can benefit the mother that just expelled it if eaten just after birth... it provides nutrition to recover from labor so the mother can begin feeding the offspring. In civilization it serves no purpose, especially when not immediately consumed. Eating it weeks or months or even years (as I've heard some do in the U.K.) is barbaric and disgusting and serves no puprose, especially in a world where food is easily found and a mother doesn't need the calories and cooking it will destroy any potential benefit, Professor Mark Kristal of the State University of New York at Buffalo, wrote his doctoral dissertation in 1971 on why animals eat their placentas. He stated, “People can believe what they want, but there’s no research to substantiate claims of human benefit. The cooking process will destroy all the protein and hormones. Drying it out or freezing it would destroy other things.” a b Freiss, Steve (19 July 2007). "Ingesting the Placenta: Is It Healthy for New Moms?". USA Today. Retrieved 5 December 2011. http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...ngestion_N.htm

If being civilized makes me narrow-minded, so be it. I'd rather be narrow-minded than disgusting and arguably mentally-ill.
                Last edited by ryanmercer; 05-08-2014, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Ryan, well God knows who partakes of this weird practice in the UK. I've lived there 37yrs and that's the 1st I've heard! Which TV prog you been watching? LOL I had to laugh out loud at your post though, funny as feck

I cannot even stand the stringy bits you get in eggs, which are nigh - on impossible to fish out, or those browny - coloured floaters, which I do fish out! So it's safe to say that me and the OP are at extreme opposite ends of the Grossness Spectrum!

But what a way to start a highly - entertaining thread, keep up the comedy posts people! BTW, Swiss people have just gone down in my opinion. It's not all chocolate and cuckoo clocks then. I consider myself enlightened to the dark side of Switzerland.

Comment

What the hell is civilized to you? What the western customs are?

OP said it's not for nutrition but for tradition. Maybe it's not nutritious... Who cares?

I am always shocked at people who think their definition of culture is the only one that matters.
                    JOURNAL..
                    @BabesWithBBQ.
                    #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

You are, for all intensive purposes, eating bodily waste
                      Do you eat eggs?

If you have a tonsillectomy do you eat the tissue? Do you eat your scabs? Do you clip your nails and then eat them? Do you take your hair home from the salon and eat it? Do you consume stillborns (I mean, 'it's a wonderful source of collagen, screw gelatin!!!' see, it's a disgusting and perverse practice)?
                      How are these questions relevant?

It comes from backwards practices
                      Arbitrary label. What determines which practices are backwards and which are forwards?

Placentophagy is a barbaric custom, especially for males.
                      Another arbitrary label.

In nature placentophagy can benefit the mother that just expelled it if eaten just after birth... it provides nutrition to recover from labor so the mother can begin feeding the offspring. In civilization it serves no purpose
                      What about the purpose you just described in the previous sentence?

Eating it weeks or months or even years (as I've heard some do in the U.K.) is barbaric and disgusting and serves no puprose,
                      You use the word "barbaric" again. What is your definition of this word and why is it bad to be "barbaric" under your definition?

Professor Mark Kristal of the State University of New York at Buffalo, wrote his doctoral dissertation in 1971 on why animals eat their placentas. He stated, “People can believe what they want, but there’s no research to substantiate claims of human benefit.
                      Appeal to authority

The cooking process will destroy all the protein
                      What happens to the destroyed protein? Does it just vanish from existence? Why would cooking placenta be any different from cooking meat?

If being civilized makes me narrow-minded, so be it. I'd rather be narrow-minded than disgusting and arguably mentally-ill.
                      You're throwing around arbitrary labels. What's disgusting is subjective. Does eating placenta cause any measurably bad effects or is it just associated with the negative labels you've assigned it? If I don't think eating placenta is disgusting, barbaric, or mentally ill, how would I suffer from eating it?
                      My opinions and some justification

Comment

Yum-yum...

Comment

Originally posted by wugang View Post
                          Yep, correct. That was fast. I was hoping for a lot of weird guesses. Couldn't you have waited a little?

I ate some of my wife's steamed placenta. We were living in Yunnan, China at that time, where my wife comes from. It's very usual in china and other Asian countries to eat a placenta after birth. They claim it's one of the most nutritious things one can eat. When people realized that my wife is pregnant they started giving us offers for the placenta. Some offered quite a lot of money. But we kept it because my wife and her mother considered it vital to her recovery after giving birth.

I heard that it's getting a little more popular in the west too. I guess that's how you heard about it?
                          And here the hospitals are just throwing it away! ...or are they?

To address the drama that has ensued: Personally I have an aversion to eating anything that comes out of a uterus. I find it gross. But that's A-Okay! I also find the prospect of eating insects to be gross. No qualms with other cultures who happily eat things I find to be gross.
                          Last edited by kathleen; 05-08-2014, 05:56 PM.
                          Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                          Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                          Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                          F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

I'm with the bodily waste aspect of it as being unappealing. I saw so many blobby fleshy things come out of me back in my fibroid days, some of them quite large and quite fleshy. Not one of them was appetizing. I don't have a problem with the concept of eating placenta, but I certainly don't find it appealing.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Yes, yes I am. You are, for all intensive purposes, eating bodily waste. If you have a tonsillectomy do you eat the tissue? Do you eat your scabs? Do you clip your nails and then eat them? Do you take your hair home from the salon and eat it? Do you consume stillborns (I mean, 'it's a wonderful source of collagen, screw gelatin!!!' see, it's a disgusting and perverse practice)?

Please, give me an excuse as to why you don't and then try and say 'oh but it's different with placenta' because it's not. It comes from backwards practices that were spiritual in nature, unless you feat on placentas daily the nutritional benefit is suspect at best.
                              It IS different. It isn't being cut out because of a disease unlike some of the things you mentioned. My wife's placenta on the other hand, my wife having eaten only the best food we could afford and thriving during pregnancy, is not some inflamed diesease ridden organ that had to be cut out. It also is not a entry drug for full on cannibalism.

Eating scabs (i understand this is the tissue covering a wound?) is very common and i catch myself doing it from time to time. I don't eat nails, hair or bogers because I never got a taste for it even though it might be beneficial. But i'm sure i swallowed both hair and nails before and i wasn't disgusted by it. Bogers on the other hand are a secretion which is a completely different story. In conversation with drunken people and friends i have found out that it's very common that people secretly eat some of these things but condemn them in public. Of course that is not a representative study. As Mark describes in his post, eating bogers could be beneficial for children. But the only secretion i like is milk. I dare say I would bet my ass of that you have done one or more of the above things in secret or at least having caught yourself almost doing it and then telling yourself "oh no, that's disgusting, i don't do that". One thing is our instincts and our animal side and then there is culture and norms. In my opinion you can't ignore that we are only a very sofisticated animal with culture, that still has instincts and emotion that from time to time (or arguably all the time) override our reason. And sometime we try to use our reason or constructed ideas or norms to override our primal instincts (failing more often than succeeding).

And there is a reason why even herbivores have the instinct to eat the placenta. You wouldn't say a cow or a deer is spiritual or mentally ill, would you?

Placentophagy is a barbaric custom, especially for males. In nature placentophagy can benefit the mother that just expelled it if eaten just after birth... it provides nutrition to recover from labor so the mother can begin feeding the offspring. In civilization it serves no purpose, especially when not immediately consumed. Eating it weeks or months or even years (as I've heard some do in the U.K.) is barbaric and disgusting and serves no puprose, especially in a world where food is easily found and a mother doesn't need the calories and cooking it will destroy any potential benefit, Professor Mark Kristal of the State University of New York at Buffalo, wrote his doctoral dissertation in 1971 on why animals eat their placentas. He stated, “People can believe what they want, but there’s no research to substantiate claims of human benefit. The cooking process will destroy all the protein and hormones. Drying it out or freezing it would destroy other things.” a b Freiss, Steve (19 July 2007). "Ingesting the Placenta: Is It Healthy for New Moms?". USA Today. Retrieved 5 December 2011. Ingesting the placenta: Is it healthy for new moms? - USATODAY.com
                              What you are doing is cultural universalism. Which means that you think there are absolute norms that all human beings have to be able to understand and abide by. Exactly this kind of thinking is also the reason why the USA over the past 50-60 years have continuously fucked up large regions of this planet. There will never be a homgenous culture on this planet. Even if you would succeed to force a large region into a homogenous way of living and morales you would have regions flaring up with different versions of it, evolving into a new regional culture with different ways of living.

Wow, was i wrong all this time cooking my meat, thinking i would get some protein from it. Thank you for this.

If being civilized makes me narrow-minded, so be it. I'd rather be narrow-minded than disgusting and arguably
                              mentally-ill.
                              Ok, now I (along with most mamals and a fifth of the worlds population; i am underestimating here because it's getting more and more popular and/or accepted in the west) am not only uncivilized but mentally ill.
                              Last edited by wugang; 05-08-2014, 11:25 PM.

Comment

What the hell is civilized to you? What the western customs are?

OP said it's not for nutrition but for tradition. Maybe it's not nutritious... Who cares?

I am always shocked at people who think their definition of culture is the only one that matters.
                                A barbaric tradition based 'spiritual' beliefs that are scientifically, beyond any shadow of a doubt, invalid. I suppose we should rape and pillage neighbors and sacrifice humans too still... I mean, after all it's tradition.

Comment

Working...
                                X