rusty skillet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rusty skillet

I just found a great way to clean rust off of a skillet. I know... I am ashamed it happened in the first place but left it in the oven a few to many days.
    Take some salt and cut a potato in half. Put the salt on the skillet and rub the potato like an SOS sponge. The salt will act as an aggregate and the potatoes enzymes mixed with its RS will.... oh hell I don't know I found it in the library... ok internet. It worked great for me. Be sure to re cure the skillet after.
    Also don 't eat the potatoes... they tasted awful. Although high in iron.... and oxide.
    Last edited by corberator; 04-28-2014, 06:49 AM. Reason: added more clarification
    6'1" 30 y/o male
    June 2013 - 310+lbs
    April 2014 - 230lbs
    "The great and powerful Trixie doesn't trust wheels"!

are we talking cast-iron skillet?

you can also put it in the oven on the clean-cycle.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

yes cast iron.... the clean cycle on my oven shuts off the power to the house.... sooooo ashamed
      6'1" 30 y/o male
      June 2013 - 310+lbs
      April 2014 - 230lbs

Comment

I finally have a self-cleaning oven and think I'm going to refinish my shitty cast iron pan as a test (if it goes well, I'll do the little pan too). We don't have a fan in the kitchen, unfortunately. I should probably wait till it's a bit nicer out and borrow a box fan to put in a window. I've just never been able to season my cast iron pans properly. I really need a whole weekend to do it, so I can bake the thing repeatedly.

The potato is a good idea. I've used salt to clean skillets before, but it always ruins my sponges. The potato is a cheaper and easier way to "hold" the salt while you scrub. Also, biodegradable
        Depression Lies

Comment

How do you refinish it? I didnt realize soap causes them to rust so mine has a little on it

Comment

A gas grill works well to season it outside so you don't have to worry about any smoke in the house....

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalMarduk View Post
              How do you refinish it? I didnt realize soap causes them to rust so mine has a little on it
              THE TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR SEASONING LODGE CAST IRON COOKWARE (from Lodge Manufacturing):

Wash utensil in hot, soapy water. Use soap THIS TIME ONLY. Rinse
              utensil and dry completely.

Apply a thin coating of melted shortening (Crisco, for example) to the utensil with a soft cloth or paper towel. Apply INSIDE AND OUTSIDE. (Note: if your utensil has a lid, season it as well.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place utensil UPSIDE DOWN on top shelf of oven. Place aluminum foil on a baking sheet and put on bottom shelf of oven to catch any drippings. Bake in oven for one hour, turn oven off and let utensil remain in oven until cool.

Utensil should be well seasoned prior to boiling foods of any kind.
              Re-season utensil after cooking beans or acidic foods (such as tomatoes). Frying and cooking foods with fat content helps expedite the seasoning process.

Clean utensil after use while still warm with hot water and a plastic scrub bun or brush.

DO NOT put in dishwater.

DO NOT wash utensil with soap or dishwashing detergents unless you are going to repeat the seasoning process since soap tends to strip the seasoning.

Dry utensil thoroughly after washing then spray lightly with vegetable oil (Pam, for instance). Wipe dry and store. Never store utensil with lid on. (Cast iron needs air circulation.)

Do not use utensil as a food storage vessel.

Remove any heavy food or grease build-up in a self-cleaning oven or with steel wool, SOS pad, sand paper, etc., then re-season.

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                I finally have a self-cleaning oven and think I'm going to refinish my shitty cast iron pan as a test (if it goes well, I'll do the little pan too). We don't have a fan in the kitchen, unfortunately. I should probably wait till it's a bit nicer out and borrow a box fan to put in a window.
                You really should find a way to exhaust the fumes out of your apartment.
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                  You really should find a way to exhaust the fumes out of your apartment.
                  It'd be nice, but the stove isn't really near a window. It's not MA rental law to have a fan in the kitchen either.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by byrds View Post
                    THE TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR SEASONING LODGE CAST IRON COOKWARE (from Lodge Manufacturing):

Wash utensil in hot, soapy water. Use soap THIS TIME ONLY. Rinse
                    utensil and dry completely.

Apply a thin coating of melted shortening (Crisco, for example) to the utensil with a soft cloth or paper towel. Apply INSIDE AND OUTSIDE. (Note: if your utensil has a lid, season it as well.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place utensil UPSIDE DOWN on top shelf of oven. Place aluminum foil on a baking sheet and put on bottom shelf of oven to catch any drippings. Bake in oven for one hour, turn oven off and let utensil remain in oven until cool.

Utensil should be well seasoned prior to boiling foods of any kind.
                    Re-season utensil after cooking beans or acidic foods (such as tomatoes). Frying and cooking foods with fat content helps expedite the seasoning process.

Clean utensil after use while still warm with hot water and a plastic scrub bun or brush.

DO NOT put in dishwater.

DO NOT wash utensil with soap or dishwashing detergents unless you are going to repeat the seasoning process since soap tends to strip the seasoning.

Dry utensil thoroughly after washing then spray lightly with vegetable oil (Pam, for instance). Wipe dry and store. Never store utensil with lid on. (Cast iron needs air circulation.)

Do not use utensil as a food storage vessel.

Remove any heavy food or grease build-up in a self-cleaning oven or with steel wool, SOS pad, sand paper, etc., then re-season.

Crap, Im way too lazy for this lol

Comment

Also you can put the pan in a plastic garbage bag with ammonia outside overnight. I have not done this yet so don't know the specifics. On my list of things to do! if anyone does it let me know how it works!!

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

Comment

I cannot believe people go to all this trouble for their cast iron !!!!!!
                        I just use a wee scrubber thing, no soap, just hot water, dry it and its all set for the next time!!!!!!
                        Sometimes, if I remember - I fill it with water after cooking (while still hot) and all the remnants just wipe off !!!!!
                        I have been told to never EVER use soap on cast iron !
                        Hermyone, I am guessing that cast iron is semi permiable, but please correct me if I am wrong, and I would be concerned about using something so harsh. Not only from the iron point of view but also ingesting any residue that has permiated the iron.
                        "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Understandable. I think that method is if you have an old crusty one. Which I believe the OP did... mine is pretty old and crusty. The inside is awesomely seasoned though. Thanks for your concern Gwamma!

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

Comment

Mines only like years old. I made it all rusty by cooking a chinken in it in the oven and leaving the drippings in the skillet... in the oven... for a long time. It was pretty bad. lol. Thats how I invented rust!
                            6'1" 30 y/o male
                            June 2013 - 310+lbs
                            April 2014 - 230lbs

Comment

If it is a rusty, crusty mess, clean with oven cleaner or ammonia and lots of elbow grease with a copper mesh scrubber pad.

Then season in a hot oven with a thin layer of a drying oil (something PUFA-rich like flaxseed oil). The oil will polymerize and create a nonstick coating. Once seasoned properly, you can use soap to clean. Just don't soak for a long time.
                              https://instagram.com/dinnerwithek/

Comment

Working...
                              X