I am concerned about the kids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jenna H View Post
    In the general case, I think the health of kids is going downhill, but that's the national trend as a whole. Government has worked with Big Agriculture and for real change we need to change the culture. That's not easy and it doesn't happen with lectures. First, people have to decide that the extra effort in food prep and cooking is worth it, and then they have to be able to devote the time and money to it.
    Government has worked with Big Agriculture for more than a century to convince people that the extra effort involved in food prep is not worth it, so buy more processed food. People haven't always been this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenna H View Post
      Government has worked with Big Agriculture and for real change we need to change the culture. That's not easy and it doesn't happen with lectures. First, people have to decide that the extra effort in food prep and cooking is worth it, and then they have to be able to devote the time and money to it.
      To my mind, this will naturally come with the end of the industrial era (the latter being doomed soon or later).

Comment

Oh, I'm an aunt and a momma and yeah, you just don't say anything.

I absolutely loathe the way my nieces are being raised, but I would never tell their parents that.

Try to be a positive influence when you're around. That's about the best you can do.
        DD born August 2012
        TTC #2
        SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
        CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
        Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
        Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Comment

One of my favorite things is for the 2-3 weeks when I have family over, usually in the summer over their breaks. Last year I had 3 of my cousin's kids staying with me for about a month while they went on a trip....it was amazing.

They live in Dallas, in a big subdivision where the houses just sprawl on forever. They have every gizmo and gaming device known to man, as my cousin is quite wealthy and spoils the hell out of them. They each have a king-sized bed (Ages 10,12,15 mind you), their own rooms, and each plays a solid 5 hours of video games a day.....and yeah, they are kinda pudgy, very little muscle tone. The oldest one had never camped or fished a day in his life. He thought my axe in the front yard was for fun, like a throwing axe, only to realize it is actually a 50lb splitting maul. He could barely lift it up. It was sad.

My place was complete shell shock for them. I have no TV, no light bulbs, and there is only enough power for internet about 6 hours a day on average. It was the dead of summer, so naturally I put them to work gardening, planting, caring for the animals, and even tried to teach one how to change a shoe on a horse without getting kicked in the head. (It failed. He freaked out the horse by being so timid, bolted right out of there)

Music is from an old turntable, or from speakers until the batteries run out.....we ate mostly turkey and tomatoes every day, because it was the nearest hunting season and my tomatoes were my only solid crop. When I showed them how I prepare rabbits I thought one of them would faint. Chicken was totally out.

We camped out over a 5-day hiking trip, took them fishing for walleye, attempted to enter us into an orienteering adventure race before realizing that they weren't really my kids Point is, we had a blast. After a week they didn't miss anything. It was amazing. Kids just take to it all. Nothing makes you believe in a more primal lifestyle as much as seeing how kids seem just hard-wired for it, like something had to come in and mess things up to make them little video game zombies.

When my cousin came to get them, his eldest son had lost 35 pounds in less than that many days. I had them walking around barefoot. They had tans. He didn't hardly recognize his own kids. He was thrilled, kept asking me what the hell I did.

Word is that this year they are going to my brother's place.....who lives in Montana.....with his closest neighbor about 6 miles away.....I can't wait for what they are like at the end of that month.
          "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

That sounds like a cool time.

When we first arrived here, we visited our friends who live on some acreage in CT, right next to a park/hiking area. DS helped take down a couple of trees (we all did it), and he was so into helping out with hauling the trees to cut into firewood! He just loved it. He got up excited every morning to go and "take care of trees!" We went on 4-5 hr hikes with him, over relatively easy terrain (according to him -- btu there ware some decent grades), and he loved playing in the stream even though it was about 50 degrees out at the time (he stripped naked and enjoyed himself anyway, and didn't get sick or anything).

We're working him up to do the AT (or parts of it). We (DS and I) will be doing some nice hiking in WA this summer -- I'm visiting my grandmother and then a friend from high school who now lives out there (my friend lives very rurally). I'm trying to push him to 6-8 hr hikes over tougher terrain in the next year or two. And, we're going to return to CT to help out with the trees again.

Comment

Working...
            X