This Forum Has Changed A Lot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thehallowprince View Post
    I used to be all over this forum in 2010, 2011, and 2012.... then I fell off a bit for a while. Apparently I'm not the only one. A ton of people that used to be big wigs on this forum haven't been seen since 2012 (rapture? ha!).

Not to sound like a hipster but... this place has changed and isn't quite as populous as it once was. Is the paleo/primal thing just sorta... dying?
    My take is that when Primal/Paleo was ramping up you had quite a few people who were extremely interested and well read seeking further knowledge. Lot's of folks who frequented this forum were fairly well read on paleo. Gradually they drifted away and were replaced by folks who frankly, have not educated themselves through reading. The value of the forum is no where as good as it was in the day which causes more knowledgeable folks to move on.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Comment

• Originally posted by Cephas View Post
      not on the rug, would you pls open up a little this "his offerings are nonsense and science is fuzzy" to a newbie? Are you referring to something specific like the supplements he's selling, "the carb curve" or something else? I'm not gonna argue about it, but as a noob I'd just liked to fast forward and hear the other view. Tx.
      the supplements are WAY overpriced and sort of go against the lifestyle he is preaching. the carb curve is 100% non factual.

mark has addressed/updated his views on lots of things, and he should probably put out a 2nd edition of the primal blueprint or something to clarify what he has stated in his blog posts. he's opened up his stance on tons of things that were a no-no when the book first came out

Comment

• Yeah, that's actually what I like most about Mark. He's not dogmatic. The book is still a great starting point for anyone coming from a coke-pizza-doritos lifestyle, but he's modified his stances on a lot of things, and an update would probably be welcomed by about all of us, the fat- and carb-zealots alike.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          The book is still a great starting point for anyone coming from a coke-pizza-doritos lifestyle .
          absolutely. I think the book is probably one of the best "paleo 101" books out there. the info is concise and anyone can relate to it.

Comment

• not on the rug, tx. Sometimes a written book can be outdated even before it hits the stores. I read somewhere Mark giving a high appraisal to this forum for contributing and continuous development of primal lifestyle all around the world.

Comment

• I think it's so accessible -- that's what makes it work. The PB is simple. Honestly, it's simple and it works. Is it perfect? No. Is it absolute for every snowflake? No. But it is a great start? *YES*

Is the forum awesome? sure.

Comment

• I haven't been on here much at all, either. I lurk now and then.

For a while there, it seemed like every time I looked around I was reading about eating high sugar, high carb, or a fight about how stupid Bulletproof Coffee is.

The weird thing for me is that I basically went off the grid for a good year plus, and when I started looking around here and other Paleo/Primal sites, I didn't recognize a lot of things. Beans, potatoes, rice, upping the carbs, cooling it on the fat, etc. A lot of it seems to make sense, it just struck me as weird because I basically made my body changes by doing everything you're not supposed to do now - low carb, lots of meat and fat, no potatoes, etc. It's interesting how things have changed.

Most of the regulars I knew from 2-3 years ago don't seem to be around anymore. Too bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bane View Post
                  I haven't been on here much at all, either. I lurk now and then.

For a while there, it seemed like every time I looked around I was reading about eating high sugar, high carb, or a fight about how stupid Bulletproof Coffee is.

The weird thing for me is that I basically went off the grid for a good year plus, and when I started looking around here and other Paleo/Primal sites, I didn't recognize a lot of things. Beans, potatoes, rice, upping the carbs, cooling it on the fat, etc. A lot of it seems to make sense, it just struck me as weird because I basically made my body changes by doing everything you're not supposed to do now - low carb, lots of meat and fat, no potatoes, etc. It's interesting how things have changed.

Most of the regulars I knew from 2-3 years ago don't seem to be around anymore. Too bad.
                  Bane, the man the legend! I still remember your awesome transformation when you went on your journey to ripped :-)

How're you doing? Have you changed the way you eat, move etc.? Or still following the same path you were back in the day?

There are still a few of us that still stick to the "old ways", though not out of any dogma but just because it's what works (for me at least).
                  If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Hey man!

Still plugging along. I eat more carbs these days, but still shun the bread, pasta, and sugar. I don't fear potatoes like I used to, but I don't eat a lot either.

I'm so used to the 2 meal a day thing I don't think I could ever change. I eat lunch and supper and try to get a stomach full of meat for at least one of them.

One new thing I'm doing is the Resistant Starch deal. I've been taking some unmodified potato starch daily and I like what it's doing for me. I have some crazy ass dreams lately! Here I thought the lucid dream claims by Nikoley were a bunch of bullshit. It's actually surprising.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      Yeah, that's actually what I like most about Mark. He's not dogmatic. The book is still a great starting point for anyone coming from a coke-pizza-doritos lifestyle, but he's modified his stances on a lot of things, and an update would probably be welcomed by about all of us, the fat- and carb-zealots alike.
                      We are all part of his n=interwebz experiment lol. Works though, we're a broad demographic with a tendency to fight it out hehe.

Comment

Hey man!

Still plugging along. I eat more carbs these days, but still shun the bread, pasta, and sugar. I don't fear potatoes like I used to, but I don't eat a lot either.

I'm so used to the 2 meal a day thing I don't think I could ever change. I eat lunch and supper and try to get a stomach full of meat for at least one of them.

One new thing I'm doing is the Resistant Starch deal. I've been taking some unmodified potato starch daily and I like what it's doing for me. I have some crazy ass dreams lately! Here I thought the lucid dream claims by Nikoley were a bunch of bullshit. It's actually surprising.
                        can you tell me about this dream thing please?
                        "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

Hey man!

First bit sounds just like me, seems to work without tweaks

I have been intrigued by the RS thing, might experiment (have in fact been eating more cooked and cooled potatoes and rice recently in fact)

Comment

I haven't been on here much at all, either. I lurk now and then.

I can agree with that. I can't believe the number of people here who advocate rice and potatoes so much. Sure, if you're fit and it works, yeah. But most people on here are starting from a fat body and want to lose weight and learn about proper diet. So many people here are like "up the carbs, lower the fat" and i'm just like ".... who are these people?"
                            March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
                            Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Comment

• Originally posted by thehallowprince View Post
                              I can agree with that. I can't believe the number of people here who advocate rice and potatoes so much. Sure, if you're fit and it works, yeah. But most people on here are starting from a fat body and want to lose weight and learn about proper diet. So many people here are like "up the carbs, lower the fat" and i'm just like ".... who are these people?"
                              The thing is, some of these people are NOT fit and it works (higher carb and lower fat). Proper diet does not have to be low carb. Sometimes low carb just doesn't work, and we don't have the answers for everyone. I think it's important to encourage people to figure out what works for themselves, and that means seeing lots of different options.

I'm not fat or fit, yet I eat higher carb and am not gaining fat.
                              Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by Markbt View Post
                                Despite what Mark himself believes, this place is going to the high sugar calorie counters. This isn't weight watchers. Count nothing, put butter on everything!
                                A+++++++
                                March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
                                Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Comment

Working...
                                X