Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Forum Has Changed A Lot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
    Since we're talking about where we live now, can I send out a shout out for Calgary? The weather is pretty changeable... the running joke is, don't like the weather? Wait five minutes... but I really love this town. The winters can be harsh but there's always the occasional Chinook to brighten things up. Plenty of green space, the mountains to hike through, lots of good shopping, nice people... I like this place better than Ontario. And a LOT better than Winnipeg, aka Winterpeg.
    Winterpeg, never heard that but that's good. I'm not far from there.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
      Since we're talking about where we live now, can I send out a shout out for Calgary? The weather is pretty changeable... the running joke is, don't like the weather? Wait five minutes... but I really love this town. The winters can be harsh but there's always the occasional Chinook to brighten things up. Plenty of green space, the mountains to hike through, lots of good shopping, nice people... I like this place better than Ontario. And a LOT better than Winnipeg, aka Winterpeg.
      I love Calgary. Grew up here and in Bellingham, Washington, so they're my two favourite places. The only thing I miss when I'm in Calgary is the ocean.

      Chinooks suck, btw. Nothing makes my head hurt worse than a chinook.

      Comment


      • Yeah, I always preferred the Sea King. Chinook's just look too fragile

        M.

        Comment


        • quite an educational thread here for n=1
          a Chinook is a salmon,
          a Chinook is a helicopter,
          what the hell kinda Chinook you talking about now ?
          and you might as well explain sea king also,
          my dad is canadien, damn canadiens

          Comment


          • Chinook wind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

            Comment


            • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              Darn, I was *this* close to meeting your criteria.


              This past winter WAS brutal. All those hot sunny days were really starting to grate on me. It's not natural to ride my motorcycle in a tank top and shorts in January.
              and here i thought i had it good luxuriating in a balmy 8 degrees in jan
              beautiful
              yeah you are

              Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
              lol

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                and here i thought i had it good luxuriating in a balmy 8 degrees in jan
                That is good.

                Comment


                • sea king , , ,
                  also a helicopter,
                  or Maryland sea food company,
                  or,
                  ?
                  sea king - Bing

                  Comment


                  • As far as places to live, the main thing I think is overrated is being in an "always warm place".

                    For example, I lived in both Orlando and Miami, later in Georgia and to Virginia.....in both FL and GA, the reality of the "warm place" was that I had the AC on for about 8 months straight. Even when it was technically cool enough to open windows temperature-wise, it would usually be so humid it would feel like I was underwater. Never forget: Florida was considered uninhabitable before the advent of AC. There was a reason for that

                    Outdoor stuff was AWFUL in Florida. Flattest state in the country, no real hiking to speak of, fishing was either in the ocean (an extremely expensive hobby) or in one of a few lakes in the state. Hunting sucked, tiny deer, nothing untouched within 500 miles.....GA was a little better, but still not great.

                    Not to mention that I get to deal with traffic (All I can think of in my 2 trips to Austin is traffic and crowds), a lot of really rude people, no one knows anyone else.

                    The way I look at it, I have to deal with about 3 months where it is really cold. I snowmobile, ski, trap, etc.....and then the rest of the year I get very little humidity, mild temps that are perfect for outdoors stuff, mountains, no traffic, amazing fishing, hunting, no crowds, and there is just a feel to the place.

                    I should prob put this one into the rant thread I guess. I just don't understand when we all decided that living in a warm place full of identical box stores and traffic jams was what everyone is supposed to want.
                    "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

                    Comment


                    • I'd take the cold over people (high population) any day, as long as it eventually warms up. With a bit of warmth just starting here, hot and sunny sounds soooo good about now!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        Darn, I was *this* close to meeting your criteria.
                        It's the parole thing, huh? If it's not murder - it's not that big a deal. LOL!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
                          It's the parole thing, huh? If it's not murder - it's not that big a deal. LOL!
                          I was kidding. I'm not out on parole. Okay, I was never in, either.

                          I live where it's almost always 70 degrees. No need for air conditioning. Only need the heater a little bit. The average is 70 degrees and not because there are huge extremes at either end. It could be 70 in August or in December (pro tip: visit Santa Barbara in Winter, not Summer). The range is usually between 60 and 80 with a few outlier days in the 90s or 100s or 40s or 50s, but such days are very rare. It's a Mediterranean climate, which means a rainy growth season from November to April and a dormant dry season from May to October (dormant for the native vegetation) and no humidity except for fog by the ocean. Our main crops are wine, strawberries, avocados, lemons, olives and broccoli.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            Our main crops are wine, strawberries, avocados, lemons, olives and broccoli.
                            I would not mind this as my garden. Not at all.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              I was kidding. I'm not out on parole. Okay, I was never in, either.

                              I live where it's almost always 70 degrees. No need for air conditioning. Only need the heater a little bit. The average is 70 degrees and not because there are huge extremes at either end. It could be 70 in August or in December (pro tip: visit Santa Barbara in Winter, not Summer). The range is usually between 60 and 80 with a few outlier days in the 90s or 100s or 40s or 50s, but such days are very rare. It's a Mediterranean climate, which means a rainy growth season from November to April and a dormant dry season from May to October (dormant for the native vegetation) and no humidity except for fog by the ocean. Our main crops are wine, strawberries, avocados, lemons, olives and broccoli.
                              If I leave the land between two rivers, I'll certainly consider this place.

                              M.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by not on the rug
                                I love mark sisson for making primal/paleo approachable and relatable to the average person. once you get drawn in to the "scene" it's relatively easy to see that much of his offerings are just nonsense and that his science is fuzzy. I think this is the cause of a lot of the disagreements here. there are the staunch sissonites who, because mark helped them change their lives, believe that what he writes/wrote is the gospel truth. then there are the other folks who've explored and dabble the paleo community and the ancestral eating scene and realized that mark, is in fact, not a diety. mark is a good stepping stone though. and he made a boatload of money off of many of us. kudos to him.
                                not on the rug, would you pls open up a little this "his offerings are nonsense and science is fuzzy" to a newbie? Are you referring to something specific like the supplements he's selling, "the carb curve" or something else? I'm not gonna argue about it, but as a noob I'd just liked to fast forward and hear the other view. Tx.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X