Cookies in the Break Room

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookies in the Break Room

I'm creating this thread to offer a place for people to vent about the all the junk food that is constantly available in Corporate America.

Cookies in the break room; donuts at the coffee station, pizza in the lunch meeting...
    The temptation is HORRIBLE.
    Sometimes I'm quite certain my coworkers want to kill me.

Who's trying to kill you? Let's help each other resist. Vent here.

I'm in training for a new position at work. This morning they brought in 3 dozen donuts for about 15 people total. They sat on the table in front of me, boxes mostly full, all day long. Sucked!

Comment

Yes, this drives me nuts. Right now I am starving (last day on the potato hack and I already ate all the potatoes I brought today) and some evil person just put a spread of donuts, cakes, sugar cookies, etc. out in the kitchen. Normally I can be strong but this is killing me. Luckily it's almost time to go home so I will be able to make it.

I have taken to cooking an egg dish to share when I know there's going to be a big spread for someone's birthday - that way I can join in without being so tempted by the sugary treats.

Comment

<~~~~Is boss and only employee at one job and works from home for the other job. If junk food shows up I guess I have to slap myself.

Comment

Once your realize how that crap makes you feel you'll stop being tempted by it. That stuff looks like a pile of dog shit to me now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

I'm the boss, and sole employee. Though I do farm out some work to other people, they aren't on the premises. So there's no junk food in my office unless I buy it.

That said, clients occasionally give me "treats" I don't want to eat. So I accept them with thanks, and take them in on my volunteer shifts and put them on the break room tables--along with all the other wheaty, sugary junk everyone else brings in. And then I high-tail it outta the break room and go immerse myself in what work needs doing.

The office staff at one organization in particular tend to be very overweight, and I know I'm not helping them by ditching my unwanted candy, cookies, and cakes in the break room. But damn it, it's their choice to eat it. I'm not their mother.

As for avoiding it myself, there are good reasons why I don't want to eat certain things. And my strategy is to think in terms of individual ingredients, not the food as a whole. Anything made with wheat is easy to turn down because wheat really messes with me. That eliminates the temptation to eat 95% of it, right off the top. I don't have a problem with eating small amounts of sugar, occasionally, but corn syrup has a gross aftertaste, and it's in lots of candy and supermarket baked items. So are seed oils.

So temptation for me gets nipped in the bud when I pause to consider what's in those treats, or read the ingredient label. I could think of it as "I feel deprived because I can't eat the donuts," or I can think of it as "I don't want to eat wheat or seed oils, and the donuts contain both of those, along with more sugar than I know is good for me." And the more I do that, the easier it gets. The donuts start to look pretty gross, when viewed that way, and don't even seem like actual food after a while.

Comment

I buy almost as many groceries for my office as I do for my home. I keep my office stocked with real food. I have no need for the treats left out because I've usually already overeaten on real food instead.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I'm around tables piled with free crap all the time. It doesn't bother me; I just push it away to make room to sit down and eat whatever pile of food I brought with me.

I just don't see that crap as real food, so no big deal.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

Originally posted by Markbt View Post
                  Once your realize how that crap makes you feel you'll stop being tempted by it. That stuff looks like a pile of dog shit to me now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                  No temptation here either, but in the future I now have a very effective visual.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

We get a weekly delivery from I think family readiness group (some soldier family support thing) that is a huge box of bags of chips, candies, and soda. Nope, no homemade cookies, just crap. So it's easy 99% of the time to totally forget it's there. It's only when I don't bring my own food as haven't prepped for a fast that it's at all tempting. (Now homemade stuff and truffles? That's tempting.)

Comment

Birthdays are terrible! Someone is always having one and I don't mind saying no, but damn if I don't get pressured to at least eating a small slice of whatever they're having. I want to fit in and be polite so I'll count it into my weeks 20%. Usually it's homemade, so it could be worse. But still! Nein means nein, ya'll!

Comment

My coworkers bring stuff to eat and it is usually some type of bread something (Egyptians are huge on bread). More often than not, they don't offer it to me and now that we have moved into our own building, it doesn't happen often at all.

While not in the break room related but business trip related for me is the food in the business class lounges. It is almost always bread something or another. Cookies, rolls, etc. I usually IF when I'm traveling as much as possible but when I'm midway through my trip, the temptation is there.

And just FYI, ordered the gluten free meal on Lufthansa one time.....once. Never again. Horrible.
                        Randal
                        AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                        Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                        http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
                          My coworkers bring stuff to eat and it is usually some type of bread something (Egyptians are huge on bread). More often than not, they don't offer it to me and now that we have moved into our own building, it doesn't happen often at all.

While not in the break room related but business trip related for me is the food in the business class lounges. It is almost always bread something or another. Cookies, rolls, etc. I usually IF when I'm traveling as much as possible but when I'm midway through my trip, the temptation is there.

And just FYI, ordered the gluten free meal on Lufthansa one time.....once. Never again. Horrible.
                          Haha I ordered gluten free last time I flew, and first the lady though I said vegetarian. Luckily they were out lol. My meal came with a roll, a cookie, and a fruit cookie thing, all of which contained wheat. My neighbor was quite thankful though.

Comment

I am staying with my parents until April and they get donuts and kolaches every weekend... I'm usually perfectly happy with my veggie omelet and fruit in the morning but they sure seem less tasty with those staring me in the face.

Plus there's the dynamic of them thinking me not eating that stuff is judgemental or they've begun to complain that I think they eat so bad and trying to guilt me into eating what they're eating. I keep my mouth shut and don't preach at them but they still continue. I do the grocery shopping and cooking so most meals are just fine but it's those weekend donuts that are like a fork in the road with us. Or they go out and buy $50 of ice cream and cookies to munch on after I've just filled the house with good food. It's aggravating because I put a lot of work into cooking from scratch, and they don't appreciate it and usually complain. Although they're not complaining about losing 10lbs each. I can't wait for my hubby's training to be over and to be moving to San Francisco soon.
                            Last edited by CarleenC; 03-22-2014, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CarleenC View Post
                              I am staying with my parents until April and they get donuts and kolaches every weekend
                              I started doing this for my kids back about 15 years ago, way pre-primal for me. But I still do it today when I'm home. The kids remember things like that and while it seems like a silly tradition, they still love it. "Daddy donuts" happens every Saturday when I'm in the USA.
                              Randal
                              AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                              Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                              http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X