No announcement yet.

Cookies in the Break Room

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Thursday we had our mandatory annual safety meeting. They served Round Table Pizza and salad for lunch, along with soda and water. The union I belong to always supplies the dessert. This year it was cake. So, I brought my own salad for lunch (spinach, cucumber, olives, raisins and almond butter/olive oil dressing). One of the guys at the table asked why I brought that and I told him I don't eat pizza. He said "Oh" and went about his pizza scarfing like it was no big deal. Nobody at the table had any issues with me bringing my own food. My salad looked (and tasted) way better than theirs. I did have some cake, which I was sorry for later! My co-workers have been really good about not bringing goodies in to work since I instigated a "fat loss" challenge that ends in May. It has been pretty hilarious and one of my co-workers has lost about 30 pounds since January! I have not been able to convince any of them to join me on the Whole 30 in April though. HA!

Comment

I develop a sweet tooth in response to stress. I've been under some strain lately so I caved and had doughnuts a few days last week at refresher training. Stopped that right quick, though, by bringing my own stuff. Met RX bars aren't exactly health food, but at least they manage my sweet tooth without (in that version) grains and as much seed oil.

I did join in for pizza on Friday, though. I like pizza, because it is specifically designed to be likable.

I wish I could be more like you iron men...

Now back to my regularly scheduled low-wheat diet.

M.

Comment

My friend is a library volunteer. She is the lead volunteer at a branch library. Recently, they asked her to help with the finances at the large warehouse where they sell lots of donated books. That place brings in $100,000/yr gross. They have been paying $12,000/yr for donuts and cookies for the volunteers. And they only gave the library system $10,000. Very wrong. The branch brings the system that much from book sales at the library and on Amazon.
        Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

If someone asked me, "You too good for Pizza Hut?" my reply would likely be, "Why yes, you goddamned crab in a bucket, I am." (And this, kids, is why I'm self-employed.)
          I am employed and say that shit anyway.

But I just shove it aside like so many others. I don't see the donuts in the box, I see arthritis and cystic acne sitting in that box.

If nobody is around, I just chuck it all in the trash and pretend I have no idea what is going on.

On the other hand, I am the only one that may take thirds when grilled meat is around. Surprise surprise, they don't like that either . . .
          Yep, I eat ALL the meat, lol.
          Last edited by Knifegill; 04-03-2014, 12:16 AM.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

It depends on the culture you bathe in. In France, snacking is not a habit we grew up with, so refusing a cookie (if any are present) is not looked at weird. And if the occasion presents itself, it is easy to say that you don't like eating cookies for X or Y reason (gluten sensitive, teeth issues, whatever).

Comment

We have our own company in a barn on our property ~ so, I counteract the employee whose English family gives away amazing, mysterious or god-awful sweets with me cooking Paleo lunches for everyone in the kitchen a few yards away!

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                God help all of us when Joey brings in chili.
                6'1" 30 y/o male
                June 2013 - 310+lbs
                April 2014 - 230lbs
                "The great and powerful Trixie doesn't trust wheels"!

Comment

I don't know what's in Joey's chili, so I only eat a little.

Remember that gay-ass thank-you barbecue thing? Manager kept saying, "We have chips and taco shells over there." While I ate three plates, one after the next, piled with about 6" of pulled pork, chicken and beef. People was starin so hard! I think they were waiting for me to die.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                    I am employed and say that shit anyway.

But I just shove it aside like so many others. I don't see the donuts in the box, I see arthritis and cystic acne sitting in that box.

If nobody is around, I just chuck it all in the trash and pretend I have no idea what is going on.

This. Except I see a fat ass. Easy to see, just look at the ones eating them usually.

Comment

My coworkers have started to make gluten free crap for me ... It's a nightmare. I used to decline, no big deal, never complained or cared. Now I have to thank them for the thought but, you see, it probably isn't safe for me to eat because you don't have a gluten free kitchen and celiac safe is different from gluten free ... AND unless you show me the containers I don't trust that your ingredients are truly safe. So I feel mean, but instead of food I organize stuff like a weekly putt putt golf challenge in the hallway or the month long walking challenges. I bring prizes instead of food.

But damn people eat a lot, and constantly!

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalPumpkin View Post
                        <~~~~Is boss and only employee at one job and works from home for the other job. If junk food shows up I guess I have to slap myself.
                        Wait.

Who are you the boss of?
                        I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
                        SW (Feb 2012): 278
                        SBF: 26% (Scale)
                        CW (Sept 2015): 200
                        CBF: 17% (Scale)

Comment

The CEO of my firm sent out the following email this morning, " Let's have pie! Everyone loves pie. Pie will be severed on the fourth floor at 4pm." Based on past experiences there will be about 20 pies set up. I work on the 4th floor fairly close to the kitchen and I am not looking forward how noisy it's going to get when everyone stampedes in at 4.

(Also, why didn't we have this pie blow out on 3/14? Then I would have at least appreciated the joke.)
                          No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
                          -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

Originally posted by Roary View Post
                            My coworkers have started to make gluten free crap for me ... It's a nightmare. I used to decline, no big deal, never complained or cared. Now I have to thank them for the thought but, you see, it probably isn't safe for me to eat because you don't have a gluten free kitchen and celiac safe is different from gluten free ... AND unless you show me the containers I don't trust that your ingredients are truly safe. So I feel mean, but instead of food I organize stuff like a weekly putt putt golf challenge in the hallway or the month long walking challenges. I bring prizes instead of food.

But damn people eat a lot, and constantly!
                            This is why I don't tell my co-workers anything, other than "no thanks, I'm good." There is someone here who was forced to go gluten free by her doctor who eats chips, pizza, brownies, etc all day. "It's healthy!"

Between my skipping the free office junk, not grazing like a cow all day long, and frequently fasting until dinner, most people here probably think that I don't eat, if they think at all. I tend to disappear for my mandatory 1 hour lunch, take a walk, run errands, read in my car or on the grass, etc.

Comment

This is always a tricky situation. I work in a small company, 9 of us. There are two partners running this outfit, I am the junior of the two partners. There are 7 men and 9 women here. Of the 7 men, 6 are pretty much health conscious and 1 is fast-food, ice-cream and play video games all night guy.

The women, are both Office/Admin managers and thus in charge of bringing in the snacks. They were always bringing in donuts, Panera bread stuff, and cookies etc. No one would eat it except them, and the non-healthy dude. Every now and then some of it would get ate, but mostly it just sat until thrown out.

This eventually started what was the worst HR situation this company has had. One morning I heard my partner yelling at the admin officer "GOD DAMNIT! I have told you time and time again, the only thing the people in this company will eat all of is fruit, vegetables and whisky! If you are going to bring any other garbage start using your own money!"

CFO in tears in my office 10 minutes later, telling me how she is made to feel inferior by none of the staff eating the stuff she brings in. How sweets make people happy, and she wants this to be a happy workplace and so on. She hates when we go out to a business lunch everyone wants to eat a salad, and she is the only one buying a burger. In this position I can't tell her how it is pretty obvious to me that most of the people here are trying to lead a healthy lifestyle and did not like what she was bringing. Of course she and husband have a million health ailments, and spend more sick leave than anyone else.

Eventually, we worked out a system where she brings in half an order of churros (or whatever), and a fruit plate, or veggie tray then sends out a passive aggressive email telling us there is some food.

BUT, she and her husband make some of the best goddamn salsa I have ever tasted. When she brings that in with some high quality tortilla chips, forget it. I just cancel the rest of my day to worship at the Salsa alter.

Comment

Originally posted by jenna View Post
                                I'm in training for a new position at work. This morning they brought in 3 dozen donuts for about 15 people total. They sat on the table in front of me, boxes mostly full, all day long. Sucked!
                                This sucks. And the maple bars continue to offer a lovely aroma of temptation the whole day.
                                37 F Too many lbs
                                Goal: Health

Started Primal 2011
                                Restarted Primal March 2014

"Be so happy that when others look at you they become happy too."
                                Fortune cookie

Comment

Working...
                                X