Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adventures! Travel, mountains - where you been? gone? ideas? Bucket list?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 for scuba.
    I lived in Taiwan for a year. The mountainous eastern coast has got to be the most beautiful place I've ever been. I also went to see Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

Comment

I haven't really been on an "adventure" trip, but then isn't all travel an adventure? I didn't travel much as a kid, but when I hit my 20s discovered snow skiing, and went every year for a while--most ski areas in Colorado, and have been to Lake Tahoe two or 3 times, and Utah once. I also went to Innsbruck, Austria but only ended up skiing two days as there were so many other things I wanted to do and see. On that trip, I also went to Salzburg, Bavaria and northern Italy. Funny, what they call a beginner slope in Innsbruck is the Olympic downhill run!!

I've also been to about 35 states in US, to the Yucatan a few times (Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen), London twice, Amsterdam 4 times, Brussels once and in October hubby and I are planning to go to Ireland. We are going to the Kinsale Jazz Festival near Cork. Kinsale is the gourmet capital of Ireland, so I'm stoked about that--I'm sure I will have no problems staying mostly Primal there.

When I travel, I usually walk so much that I come home a couple of pounds lighter no matter how much I eat. We probably walked a hundred miles in a week in Amsterdam last time we went.

Comment

Fundy national park in New Brunswick. I go there a few times a year and it's probably the only time I enjoy myself. If your kids are older (teens) then Foster Brook would be a good one but watch out for mountain lions. The Coppermine is a good one for younger kids and it still gives you a good view on the way back.
        You'll be fording a river in the Foster Brook trail and then immediately climbing a mountain afterwards so either bring a change of shoes or be prepared to barefoot it across the river.
        If trail running is more to your tastes then the white tail is a fun one. Also there's canoe/kayak rentals all over the area (with the best spot being the hopewell rocks an hours drive from the park) and a horseback riding place near there as well.

For food you could pick up lobster/fish from one of the many shops and roast it or pick up a fishing license if you come at the right time. The fancy restaurant has nothing good but the buffalo burger and it's tiny, just in case you want to eat out.
        In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by girlarchitect View Post
          The plains are amazing and worth exploring and not just driving through. I think the interstate is the worst way to see the middle of the country (and yeah, I guessing that's how you drove through, apologizes if I'm mistaken). Unfortunately that just how most people do see it if they bother to drive through at all - so much easier to fly over, right? (I can say that as I fly over far more often than drive through, so I'm guilty too).

Get off the interstate and onto the country highways -- drive the long lonely county highways, see the farms, small towns, the bend in the river, try the local cafe, stay in the small motel, stop at the local sights.
          I find flat landscapes extremely disturbing. Yes I'm somewhat agoraphobic, but would you want to be caught out in the middle of nowhere with no place to hide if a pack of wolves decided you looked tasty?
          Clearly my hatred of open places is an evolutionary advantage. I'm not dog food.
          In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Who says all spammers are bad? It took one to bring back a really interesting thread, at least to me, that's over a year old.

In 15 days my husband and I are taking my 73 year old mother sailing in the Caribbean. We took her 4 years ago and didn't think we'd be doing a trip like that with her again, but she's raring to go. We're keeping our fingers crossed for good weather. Unfortunately, the only time we can all get away at the same time is during peak season for hurricanes.
            kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Comment

Driving a big rig on a mountain road is very different from traveling on a flat highway. With the immense amount of weight being hauled in your trailer, you'll want to be sure you get down the mountain safely.

Comment

Working...
              X