No announcement yet.

"SportsFree" - Quitting Sports Consumption

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to take back what I said about being a sports fan. Sort of like DB, it was something that took too much of my time, so I had to create a negative image of it to get away from the scene. I have a healthy relationship with sports now that I'm all growed up.

What do you guys like?

I like getting around in all possible manners (flying, canoeing, biking, horseback riding, parkour, climbing, running, skiing, driving) combined with the original sports: hunting and martial arts.
    Last edited by DrHackenbush; 03-02-2014, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrHackenbush View Post
      Martial arts, basketball, football... what do you guys like?
      Hockey. All the other popular American sports have too much black "culture", or are just boring to me.
      Make America Great Again

Comment

• I pay attention to football, basketball, and baseball. They all bring something different to the table.

I like playing sand volleyball the most. It's mostly rednecks, so none of us know how to do any bumping or spiking and everyone's drunk at the end, but we always have a good time.
        In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
          I pay attention to football, basketball, and baseball. They all bring something different to the table.

I like playing sand volleyball the most. It's mostly rednecks, so none of us know how to do any bumping or spiking and everyone's drunk at the end, but we always have a good time.
          Volleyball is fun. Intramual champion of 2009!! Somewhere, crumpled in a ball, is the bracket that my team crushed on it's way to the top.

Baseball doesn't bring much to the table for me. Might as well play golf, go on a picnic, save $100 on the box seats, and call it a day. Maybe toss the football around too. What more is baseball, really? That being said, I played baseball in high school, among other sports, and was nicknamed Mr Grandslam. There are few feelings better than launching a big shot when it matters.
          Last edited by DrHackenbush; 02-28-2014, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• "Professional athletes are in many ways our culture's holy men: they give themselves over to a pursuit, endure great privation and pain to actualize themselves at it, and enjoy a relationship to perfection that we admire, reward, and love to watch, even though we have no desire to walk that road oursleves. In other words, they do it for "us", sacrifice themselves for our (we imagine) redemption."

- David Foster Wallace

This guy committed suicide. Perfect example of a guy who took athletics too far and clearly had other issues in his life. We're all agreeing here that there are people out there who do take sports too far, and that's bad, but following professionals of the same crafts that you pursue is a very healthy thing.

Comment

• I think the communication breakdown starts here: Lots of people exhibit signs of unhealthy sports obsession, such as wearing jerseys and playing fantasy sports. That doesn't make them really in death throes over sports; it's a stereotype that I have made and DavidBrennan has too. Can you blame us if our experience with sports culture has been with extremist lenses, exposing us to a whole culture of extremists?

So are millions upon millions unhealthily obessed with sports? Who knows. Some are. Some people are obsessed with stamp collecting and car modification.
              Last edited by DrHackenbush; 02-28-2014, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrHackenbush
                What's wrong with that? No need to shy from non-PC discussion. I'm game.
                If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, then he's talking more about a culture-within-a-culture.

The high school I work in is significantly low income and about half minority.

Even the bleeding heart liberals which run the place lack the vocabulary to spin the actual facts. Low-income high minority schools don't do well academically. Every time they have to justify their performance, there's always the caveat..."We're actually doing extremely well for a low-income high minority school."

It probably kills them to have to do that, but stats are stats.

That said, the kids who have the discipline to maintain the grades to participate in sports (and listen to an authority figure) typically have a nuclear family which arrives for the games, and yes they are over-whelmingly black in my case. But that's high school and that's the average.

When there is a goddamn freak of nature in basketball or football (not most kids), it doesn't really matter what circumstances the kid comes from...the school is gonna make it work one way or another.

I can think of several who have academic/discipline/criminal issues which are just hilariously abysmal, but....I dunno...he's basically "a good kid". That's code for: "He's got nothing else going for him, so maybe sports will keep him out of prison."

The athlete who is only "pretty good" and who actually does ok academically; when he gets in trouble he's the one who eats the shit sandwich and gets booted from sports or otherwise receives the undiluted discipline.

Multiply that mind-set that by every high school in the country, even if it's one particular stand-out every couple years. It adds up.

Irrespective of sports, the truth is this. Black dads are largely absent in the low income black demographic. If you take 1,000 of their sons, it averages out to an over-wrought, misogynistic, undisciplined, stress intolerant, media molded caricature of a man. But if the kid can break tackles and just barely tolerate the structure of an athletic team, then....

Sports draw from that.

Of course, we wouldn't be having this conversation if the NFL and NBA largely drew from the trailer park where the same social rules apply. But trailer park boys are under-represented in mainstream American pro sports.
                Last edited by brittney_bodine; 02-28-2014, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by brittney_bodine View Post
                  If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, then he's talking more about a culture-within-a-culture.

The high school I work in is significantly low income and about half minority.

Even the bleeding heart liberals which run the place lack the vocabulary to spin the actual facts. Low-income high minority schools don't do well academically. Every time they have to justify their performance, there's always the caveat..."We're actually doing extremely well for a low-income high minority school."

It probably kills them to have to do that, but stats are stats.

That said, the kids who have the discipline to maintain the grades to participate in sports (and listen to an authority figure) typically have a nuclear family which arrives for the games, and yes they are over-whelmingly black in my case. But that's high school and that's the average.

When there is a goddamn freak of nature in basketball or football (not most kids), it doesn't really matter what circumstances the kid comes from...the school is gonna make it work one way or another.

I can think of several who have academic/discipline/criminal issues which are just hilariously abysmal, but....I dunno...he's basically "a good kid". That's code for: "He's got nothing else going for him, so maybe sports will keep him out of prison."

The athlete who is only "pretty good" and who actually does ok academically; when he gets in trouble he's the one who eats the shit sandwich and gets booted from sports or otherwise receives the undiluted discipline.

Multiply that mind-set that by every high school in the country, even if it's one particular stand-out every couple years. It adds up.

Irrespective of sports, the truth is this. Black dads are largely absent in the low income black demographic. If you take 1,000 of their sons, it averages out to an over-wrought, misogynistic, undisciplined, stress intolerant, media molded caricature of a man. But if the kid can break tackles and just barely tolerate the structure of an athletic team, then....

Sports draw from that.

Of course, we wouldn't be having this conversation if the NFL and NBA largely drew from the trailer park where the same social rules apply. But trailer park boys are under-represented in mainstream American pro sports.
                  But how does that affect sports? And how does that affect you?

Sure lots of poor people are black, and lots of black people win at sports. I say...try harder. Don't complain about their lack of values because, often, they just have different values. In their eyes, you may equally lack any 'values'.

Comment

• "Different" values. Right. The ones which result in sucking at life and going to jail. Potato potahto. Speaking of a population of fatherlessness (not blackness) and granting invariable exceptions.
                    Last edited by brittney_bodine; 02-28-2014, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by brittney_bodine View Post
                      "Different" values. Right. The ones which result in sucking at life and going to jail. Potato potahto. Speaking of a population of fatherlessness (not blackness) and granting invariable exceptions.
                      If you're poor, it's hard to get unpoor. I don't care what your values are.

I think some of the values in the black culture are ones that white people *used* to have more of. Surely, a white supremacist agrees that the "old days" had better values. There's common ground.

Fatherlessness? I grew up just since without hardly a father. I don't have a problem with a more polygynous style of raising kids.

Whatever. We're speaking too generally to mean anything.
                      Last edited by DrHackenbush; 02-28-2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X