Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop Fit-shaming. Ladies: Being healthy and beautiful is good.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
    Again, I think that we can talk about social issues such as the overweight/obesity epidemic without shaming individuals.
    Yeah, agreed. I don't know how to do it, but I'm sure it's possible
    Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
      1) People are too damn sensitive and are eager to be offended.

2) It's none of your business what other people do/don't do with their bodies.

3) It's nobody's business what you do/don't do with your body.

4) People need to learn to leave each other the hell alone. (A lesson my mother taught my sister and I when we started nosing into each other's business.)
      Originally posted by quikky View Post
      It's our bullshit PC culture. Soon, no criticism of anything or anyone will be okay. Everything is about acceptance of everything and everyone. Sorry, but not everything is acceptable and not everyone should be tolerated. This mentality is what will lead us to the Wall-E world.
      This is how i feel. Having been overweight, I'm afraid of the Wall-E future that our culture seems to be striving towards. There's a difference between being confident in whatever body you may have, and championing those who are overweight because they are the "real" woman, not the athletic woman.

Both are real, both have different goals or priorities, or ways in which to spend their time.

Everyone is very touchy nowadays and quick to defend themselves. I can click on any fit-woman picture on FB and see a comment saying that woman needs to eat a cheeseburger -- when the woman looks perfectly fine. The commenter just says that type of thing to make themselves feel better? I don't know.

Comment

I'd like to know what is it that the woman on the right, the one posing with cats is promoting. What is it that she is proud of and what her point is.

Comment

My excuse is: being so focused on sculpting your body is seriously BORING to me. It is so myopic and uninteresting. Probably not a very popular view on a site devoted to health and fitness, but that's just my pov, I'd rather talk about something more intellectually stimulating.
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
            I'd like to know what is it that the woman on the right, the one posing with cats is promoting. What is it that she is proud of and what her point is.
            she's proud of her body, like the other lady is proud of hers

does it make sense? given the context, maybe, but this is the internet, nothing is supposed to make sense in the real world

i can easily see how we're barreling towards a wall-e future, i don't like it. i don't like seeing obese children. i don't like seeing obese adults. i really don't like seeing obese animals.

but i'm not gonna shame em for it. shitty foods have been pushed on everyone for years in the name of health, now people are paying the price for it. yeah there are fat slobs, there are also thin slobs. a woman who feeds her kids nothing but kfc and mcdonalds deserves just as much shame for having thin children with grey skin and dark eye circles as a fat woman who feeds her kids kfc and mcdonalds and has fat kids

but i see more and more news articles getting published saying 'turns out, eggs are okay', gluten free diets are popular, etc. it's baby steps in the right direction.

anyways. i'm trying to make sense with this, maybe it worked.
            beautiful
            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
              My excuse is: being so focused on sculpting your body is seriously BORING to me. It is so myopic and uninteresting. Probably not a very popular view on a site devoted to health and fitness, but that's just my pov, I'd rather talk about something more intellectually stimulating.
              Part of the point of the Primal Blueprint from the get-go, as Mark says, is that you eat the foods, do the simple movements, perform exercises that basically ALLOW body sculpting to be almost effortless. You're activating the genes that give you the body you were meant to have.

No more crash diets, no more marathon gym sessions, no more starvation... So you don't HAVE to "sculpt" yourself. You body will kind of do it for you.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Of course both of those woman in the OP are attention whore trolls that feeds on each other; but isn’t that the whole point behind Facebook, so why ban the person that walk the walk?
                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                  There's nothing wrong with being proud of those things. But I don't think that those truths for you are necessarily truths for everyone. I don't want to impose my ideals on other people. So who gets to decide what's right/wrong for society?
                  Why not? Is being sick ever better than being healthy? Is being weak ever better than being strong? Is being ignorant ever better than being knowledgeable? ...Well, okay, there is some truth to ignorance is bliss, but you get the point.

Some traits really are always better. We're not talking about nuances of morality, we're talking about basic traits that members of a good society should value. Obesity, weakness, and ignorance should never be acceptable.

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                  Also, the problem with the comparison game is about valuing things.

I have excuses as to why I'm not 15% body fat. The very first "excuse": I don't want to be. Why? Because it will take too much time and effort, as well as mental energy/focus. I'd rather focus that mental energy, time, and effort into earning more income. That's my goal now -- financial health.

So, some of these things are not excuses.
                  Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                  I don't care for body building or body fat levels independent of overall context. These things are purely about aesthetics. I am not against fat acceptance because it is considered unattractive. I am against fat acceptance because it makes people unhealthy and weak. A society full of unhealthy, weak, less useful people, with increasingly higher levels of such, is not a society destined for greatness.

Comment

The "What's Your Excuse?" lady has been doing fitness related stuff for over 10 years. Not everyone chooses to live her way and to compete in fitness competitions like her. She probably did the whole thing just to make money and I'm sure that a little sensational media hasn't hurt. This whole fit-/fat-shaming thing is ridiculous, especially because of what the MDA community (online or otherwise) is supposed to be.

Here, people are HELPED by being given the tools to make a positive change with food and lifestyle choices. Not everyone is an aesthetic success story.

Also, this thread is a little troll heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post

BTW it is not bullying to say "Hey, I have 3 kids and look awesome. You don't." That is called reality. Brad Pitt is not bullying me if he says, "Dude, you don't have these abs." He's right. I don't.
                      'You don't have these abs' and 'what is your excuse for not having these abs?' are very different.

I'm sick of all the weight memes. 'Real men like curves', 'before implants and anorexia there was something called sexy', 'since when is this more attractive than this'.

We're all here be

Comment

cause we choose to live primally. That is a CHOICE. I don't see any reason to judge people who make different choices.

When it comes to diet most of us on this website agree. But we've all still made very different life decisions regarding work, family, finances etc. We don't need to judge each other for it.

I personally don't look like either woman in the original post. I'm not overweight, nor am I muscular. I am tiny. Even bony. I am constantly attacked by the real men love curvers.

Let people make their own choices for themselves and their families.

Comment

Originally posted by lva View Post
                          When it comes to diet most of us on this website agree. But we've all still made very different life decisions regarding work, family, finances etc. We don't need to judge each other for it.
                          Ha! That really made my day...
                          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Some people are confusing acceptance with ridicule and shaming. I would never suggest the obese should be shamed or made fun of. What I am suggesting, however, is to stop accepting obesity as normal. "You are you and if you are 300lb that's okay!" No, it's not. You are unhealthy and 10% as useful as you could be. You shouldn't be tar and feathered. No one should make fun of you or shame you for it. However, you are not really fine. You are in a sick state. So society should say that obesity is a form of sickness, and people should strive to avoid it and have higher standards for themselves, and not be encouraged/empowered/<insert whatever other PC BS here> to stay fat.

Comment

What's your excuse? I guess a lot of people find that negative and shaming.

I agree that if she had put something like
                              I did this, you can too
                              It wouldn't have been taken badly.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

I agree with the comment about both ladies happiness being enough/the important thing. We as humans are way too wrapped up in other people's business & are so quick to judge & whine. Especially when it comes to weight loss. I know being overweight isn't always attractive(believe me! I was the girl who was told "you're so beautiful...but you're just too big") but it's not like being big or not being a gym rat are the worst things someone can be. I went from 200 to 120, I don't have babies, & even I was pretty upset at myself for not looking like the fit mom when I 1st saw the post..but then I remembered that her body & her lifestyle make her happy..just like mine-being-enjoying wine on the weekends,not obsessing over the gym,& for the most part being ok with being skinny fat (again...After being the fat girl for so long you can't blame me for not hearing anything you say after I hear skinny) makes me happy. I wish us ladies would quit being such bitches about weight loss & how the other one looks & just move on. It's like you can be one extreme or the other,fat or skinny, fit or flabby..doesn't matter,we're going to talk shit either way. Sorry..but stuff like this rubs me the wrong way. Like my husband said the other day "there are so many other things that define you & that should matter in your life other than your waistline"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                                X