Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you deal with family and friends?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you deal with family and friends?

Well the question says it all lol. It's quite obvious to me that I feel a whole lot better when I eat paleo. However my family is worried about my grain free diet and thinks it's extreme and unbalanced because well you need grains! It's annoying because I want to eat in peace without having to defend my choice. I don't care what they eat and I don't try to lecture them so I wish they would offer me the same courtesy.

With friends and family there are two kinds: the busybodies for whom it's none of their business what you do, and then the opposite, when you are the busybody butting into their business wanting to change their diets which is none of your business. The only solution is for everybody to mind their own business. But if you're on the receiving end of busybodies, your only solution is to mind your own business when it comes to their butting in. That's supremely difficult because it's so annoying and intrusive and involves trying to set boundaries without offending people, which is often quite impossible. Good luck to you.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I dunno, I don't "deal" with anyone. I go through life like a freaking tiger. And tigers don't give a crap what a goat thinks about them.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

I bet you show those whipper-snappers at Chipotle who's boss by refusing both rice AND beans! Just like the beast you are!

Comment

Just give them Mark's book… tell them to read it or stop nagging.

oh yeah, and when ever you tell somebody about Primal/Paleo start with the veggies and fruits that you are eating never ever start with the eggs…
          My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
            I dunno, I don't "deal" with anyone. I go through life like a freaking tiger. And tigers don't give a crap what a goat thinks about them.

Sent via lightsaber
            This.

I just challenge family members to a friendly round of their own chosen physical activity if they start lecturing. Nothing worse than getting beat at your own game by someone you think is unhealthy. Then I beat them at Trivial Pursuit to round out the ass-whipping.
            I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
            SW (Feb 2012): 278
            SBF: 26% (Scale)
            CW (Sept 2015): 200
            CBF: 17% (Scale)

Comment

Throat punches and/or karate chops to the babymaker.

But perhaps I don't understand the question.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Sent via lightsaber
                Well I don't really care what they say I'm going to continue to eat what I want, it's just annoying when suddenly everyone around you suddenly turns into a nutrition expert and starts lecturing to you how you're eating so unhealthy and are putting your health in jeopardy. And it's not even worth trying to justify yourself! Even if you present the most convincing arguments in the world they won't hear it out because they firmly believe what they believe so you might as well be talking to a wall which is pointless. It's just like hey this is my choice, leave me alone!

Comment

Originally posted by Seashel087 View Post
                  It's just like hey this is my choice, leave me alone!
                  Have you told them that?

Comment

Sent via lightsaber
                    that poor little goat. I have a grand'kid', and hes the cutest little wild goat you could ever meet, praps I better not introduce him to you Mr A !!!!!!
                    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

SS - I have found this so hard, especially with my Mum, who was a theartre sister her whole life. I just don't say anything until someone notices. Then I play it DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN.............. you get the idea !!!!! And I don't play it down because I am embarrassed about how I eat, I play it down because I hate arguing !
                      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

I just don't say anything until someone notices. Then I play it DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN.............. you get the idea !!!!! And I don't play it down because I am embarrassed about how I eat, I play it down because I hate arguing !
                        Same here. I hide very firmly behind gluten intolerance. or just don't eat in public. you can get away with not eating a lot of the nasty fats when you are out under the auspices of avoiding fat/ watching your weight too. ditto with the sugary junk. and you know. lean meat and salad is relatively socially acceptable for a woman to eat and if they fry it in canola oil, you just smile graciously and don't sweat the small stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by pilot View Post
                          Have you told them that?
                          Yeah, but when it comes to certain topics like religion, politics and diet some people get really heated over them lol.

Comment

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                            SS - I have found this so hard, especially with my Mum, who was a theartre sister her whole life. I just don't say anything until someone notices. Then I play it DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN.............. you get the idea !!!!! And I don't play it down because I am embarrassed about how I eat, I play it down because I hate arguing !
                            Actually playing it down and agreeing is a good way to diffuse an argument lol

Comment

Give them this. The link isn't Paleo and they will likely use it to knock it but they also say the following

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...laces-pyramid/
                              " But grains are not essential for good health, and refined grains are detrimental to health—"
                              Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Working...
                              X