Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urban Forager, thanks for the tip!

Comment

Was the dr. able to determine whether the ear infection was caused by bacteria or virus? Antibiotic would not be an effective treatment in case it's the latter, which sounds like the more likely kind as you mentioned fever.
      I do believe that there are certain ailments in young kids where antibiotics are the fastest and most effective treatment and I'm not really opposed to giving/taking them if really needed.

FWIW, I was given ton of antibiotics as a child, even for minor stuff, and I'm still a very healthy adult.

Comment

No, the doctor didn't check whether the ear infection was bacterial or viral. Medical care on this island isn't that great, and I assume they prescribe antibiotics to any 'infection.' I thought bacterial infection causes fever, though?

I am also not against antibiotics when really needed. There was a time when my dd had high fever for 2 days (over 40C), and it turned out to be a viral infection (roseola). We were in another country then, and the doctor did test to see whether her condition was caused by bacteria or virus.

Anyway, I'm glad I held off on the antibiotics, because dd went to school yesterday and did not have any fever or discomfort the whole day. It seems to have passed.

I was on antibiotics for years for acne in my teens. (it never helped the acne, lol), and I guess I'm ok as an adult. So they're not the worst. But I do worry about the side effects of antibiotics increasing the risk of yeast infections and what not.

Comment

Glad to hear your daughter is better!
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I thought bacterial infection causes fever, though?
            Well, from what I know (and google re-confirmed it) it could be either or. I don't know which type is more common though.
            My son had an ear infection once as an infant and I know how frustrating this can be.

I'm glad your daughter is feeling better.

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
              Was the dr. able to determine whether the ear infection was caused by bacteria or virus? Antibiotic would not be an effective treatment in case it's the latter, which sounds like the more likely kind as you mentioned fever.
              I do believe that there are certain ailments in young kids where antibiotics are the fastest and most effective treatment and I'm not really opposed to giving/taking them if really needed.

FWIW, I was given ton of antibiotics as a child, even for minor stuff, and I'm still a very healthy adult.
              I gave my daughter heaps of antibiotics as a baby as she constantly had ear infections.
              She's 10 and had to have 8 baby teeth removed as they were deformed when they came through her gums.
              Dentist said it's most often caused by antibiotics, they can interfere with formation while under the gums.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Hannakb View Post
                I gave my daughter heaps of antibiotics as a baby as she constantly had ear infections.
                She's 10 and had to have 8 baby teeth removed as they were deformed when they came through her gums.
                Dentist said it's most often caused by antibiotics, they can interfere with formation while under the gums.

Was that doxycyline that she was on? Or another tetracycline?

Comment

Originally posted by earthlymumma View Post
                  Was that doxycyline that she was on? Or another tetracycline?
                  No she was usually on amoxicillin

Comment

The dr mentioned amoxicillin is the most common because it's most effective, but she prescribed azithromycin because the pharmacy can prepare it in a way that's easier for dd to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                      Glad to hear your daughter is better!
                      Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                      Well, from what I know (and google re-confirmed it) it could be either or. I don't know which type is more common though.
                      My son had an ear infection once as an infant and I know how frustrating this can be.

I'm glad your daughter is feeling better.
                      Thanks Graycat and Urban Forager!

Comment

I remember how hard it was to stay away from giving my kids antibiotics when they were obviously in pain. I usually gave in and got it for them. Mostly for my older son as my daughter has rarely needed them. I don't recall getting them as a kid, probably wasn't around very much in those days, only used for severe cases - the way it should be.

Comment

I've had ear infections many, many times in my life. They can be agonizingly painful. I would give her the antibiotics and supplement with probiotics afterwards. Breastmilk too if you can. But I wouldn't let her just suffer through it.
                          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by eats.meats.west View Post
                            I don't recall getting them as a kid, probably wasn't around very much in those days, only used for severe cases - the way it should be.
                            I wonder why ear infections weren't common before? I don't remember having them either.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                              I've had ear infections many, many times in my life. They can be agonizingly painful. I would give her the antibiotics and supplement with probiotics afterwards. Breastmilk too if you can. But I wouldn't let her just suffer through it.
                              Getting my daughter to take medicine is a huge struggle. She always spits everything out. Because of this I'm reluctant to start a course of medication that needs to be finished (vs a one-time dose of painkiller). Anyway, she recovered fully the day after I posted... which means the antibiotics weren't necessary after all.

Comment

I read somewhere ear infections can be caused by allergies. Dont know if thats already common knowledge?
                                They should not be a natural part of childhood. If they are chronic its a sign of something for sure.

Im glad she's all better.

Comment

Working...
                                X