***question***

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
    Val, I used to fish when I was younger. My family used to have a weekend home by one of the cleanest rivers in the U.S. It was so clean that the locals used to take big glass jugs down to the river to collect water and use that as their drinking supply. I would swim for hours in the river.

My fondest memories are of catching these HUGE largemouth bass, bluegills, and pumpkinseeds. Normally I wouldn't trust river/lake fish anymore because of how polluted our freshwater tends to be, but this was something special...
    Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    actually val, I have never killed anything in my life, except if it ran under my tyres while driving !!!!!! but middle and youngest are the best shots EVER, and if they aren't available Seas will learn you !!!!!!!!!
    I will cook whatever you bring me- within reason !!!!!!!!
    It's funny how we begin to see the world differently. Despite living in the rural south w/ plenty of family that hunted I just always had the inner attitude that I couldn't do it. And my Dad always did the things like knife sharpening, bookshelf building, oil changing, etc. Now his health is such that he can't and I have developed the self confidence to realize I can. Just no one in my life to do the teaching....arrrrggh...

Thanks for the knife sharpening tips! I can do that...and I am quite sure that somewhere around here I can find what I need to do it with.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Here's a how-to: Patron Saint of Knives Sharpening 101 - YouTube

M.

Comment

• Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
        Just to be on the safe side check your BP when that happens. Probably not a problem but just in case!
        Good point, I'll try that next time it happens.

Don't have a blood pressure testing thing but I can always check my pulse I suppose.

That said, when it does this it doesn't feel like my heart is racing or anything. Just a wee bit more perspiring.
        I can't think of a catchy journal title but click here anyway.

Comment

• OK, so I ate dinner a couple hours ago, and started getting another case of the itty-bitty-sweats around a half hour ago. I've checked my pulse several times over the past several minutes and it's been around 110-115 pulses/minute, a little above normal - but not by a huge amount. Hmmm.

The other thing going on with me is, lately I've been reducing the amount of the medication I take for my neurological disorder. Doing something resembling a ketogenic diet has been one of my motivations for doing this diet in the first place, to see if diet can do something about my issues instead of taking drugs. And when I don't take my medication or reduce my dosage I start feeling a little "wired." Maybe it's a coincidence that, toward the end of the day when I start to get tired and thus my "wired-ness" gets worse at around the same time I think my new diet might be doing something to me? Hard to tell.

Comment

• Now my mini-sweats have gone away and my pulse is down to about 100/minute. Can one's pulse go up when your body is busy digesting dinner, and then go back down when aforementioned dinner is done digesting?

Comment

• Yeah, that happens with me on occasion. Seems to be related to volume in my case.

M.

Comment

• I just saw Greek yoghurt in supermarket I shop, However it says it contains pasteurized milk and pasteurized cream. No idea is it good thing or not? Besides that it's only healthy bacterias. Would be thankful if someone would explain if it's good or not.

Comment

• I got a lot of hot flashes when I switched to a primal diet. They'd come on suddenly at random times. I'd just be walking along, minding my own business and whoosh, I'd feel really hot. They'd happen during the day and sometimes they'd be after eating a healthy meal. It eventually went away. I think what it was was my body finally getting nutrients it needed and turning the lights on. I remember other people sometimes would ask about similar things. And no, it wasn't menopause.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uselis View Post
                    I just saw Greek yoghurt in supermarket I shop, However it says it contains pasteurized milk and pasteurized cream. No idea is it good thing or not? Besides that it's only healthy bacterias. Would be thankful if someone would explain if it's good or not.
                    A lot of commercial yoghurts are made with pasteurized dairy as the base but then fermented afterwards. So it could have some good gut bugs in it even if it's from pasteurized dairy. But you have to be careful about that too. Some brands "repasteurize" the yoghurt after the fermenting for added "shelf-stability."
                    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

• Which is hilarious because shelf stability is the point of yogurt, really.

It's also important to note that in the process of making yogurt I basically pasteurize the milk; it has to get up to like 160F if memory serves, before letting it cool and culturing it.

M.

Comment

• Anybody here make their own yogurt?

When I was young my mother had this plug in thing with 5 separate cups in it that she made yogurt with. If memory is correct. curious.
                        44 F 5'5
                        SW 205.4
                        CW 180.4
                        GW 150

Comment

• I've made it lots of times. Lately I make it when I go backpacking using a little starter yogurt and then reconstituted powdered milk after that. The bacteria turn nasty powdered milk into a real food in a little plastic jar in my sleeping bag. I leave it out in the cold an hour or two before breakfast and it's ready to eat!
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            I've made it lots of times. Lately I make it when I go backpacking using a little starter yogurt and then reconstituted powdered milk after that. The bacteria turn nasty powdered milk into a real food in a little plastic jar in my sleeping bag. I leave it out in the cold an hour or two before breakfast and it's ready to eat!
                            That is impressive.

I used to make 1/2 gallon every week, only stopped for a w30. Planning on making some this weekend again. :3333

I use basically this method here: <http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/yogurt_making/YOGURT2000.htm>

But, I make it using the slow cooker method, so bring the milk to temp, add the yogurt (helps to mix it with a little reserved milk) and stash it in a cooler wrapped in towels or add some jars of hot water to keep the temp up.

I'm starting with plain organic yogurt and organic whole milk as per the link. You can, and I usually do, thicken it after incubating by straining and letting it sit in the refrigerator overnight.

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                              That is impressive.

I used to make 1/2 gallon every week, only stopped for a w30. Planning on making some this weekend again. :3333

I use basically this method here: <http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/yogurt_making/YOGURT2000.htm>

But, I make it using the slow cooker method, so bring the milk to temp, add the yogurt (helps to mix it with a little reserved milk) and stash it in a cooler wrapped in towels or add some jars of hot water to keep the temp up.

I'm starting with plain organic yogurt and organic whole milk as per the link. You can, and I usually do, thicken it after incubating by straining and letting it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
                              This thing is the bomb..... no electricity to culture yogurt, and it keeps it at the right temp for long enough to make a good tangy yogurt. Though, the yogurt is a bit thin, not like greek yogurt....

Amazon.com: Yogotherm Yogurt Maker- 2-QT: Kitchen & Dining

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                                This thing is the bomb..... no electricity to culture yogurt, and it keeps it at the right temp for long enough to make a good tangy yogurt. Though, the yogurt is a bit thin, not like greek yogurt....

Amazon.com: Yogotherm Yogurt Maker- 2-QT: Kitchen & Dining
                                Is that just a giant thermos?

Comment

Working...
                                X