Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small rant - add your own if you want!! :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally different than the recent posts, but mine is:

I work with a woman who's lost a ton of weight through calorie restriction and RELENTLESS gym time (treadmill, group "woo-woo" classes), and good for her. But it's always funny if we're in the same room and people want nutrition and workout information, they go to her. Always. Not the dude who's the most in shape person they know and spends a maximum of 2.5 hours in the gym a week (coworker is more in the 15 hour per week range).

I always want to be like "Uh...guys...you know there's a way easier way, right? Don't eat grains and crappy food, lift real heavy crap a couple times a week. Done and done", while she's outlining all these ways she fights off food cravings and "loves" running 7 miles at a time on the treadmill every day...

Edit: I also agree with Laz up there. Again.
    Last edited by Mr. Anthony; 02-13-2014, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
      2) If you tell people WHY you might actually know what you are talking about, you are an elitist. No one is allowed to have an education anymore without offending someone, in a discussion of anything. We seem to live in this Orwellian reality where the opinion of a community college dropout is equivalent to a PhD in the field. It's again, children's thinking. We all have to act dumb, as to make the ACTUALLY dumb feel better about themselves.
      I actually more frequently notice the opposite. Many people have this complete trust in authority and credentials. A person's argument, regardless of their background, should always be judged by its rationale and facts, not the fact that the person behind the argument has the correct abbreviation after their name. It's just that people who have the right credentials frequently know what they are talking about .

How many times has someone received garbage advice from a doctor, and refuses to listen to any counterargument because the original came from a doctor and is, single-handedly due to that fact alone, assumed to be 100% correct?

Experts' opinions carry a lot more weight than non-experts, but should always be treated with some skepticism.

Comment

So much anger Lazarus. Lol.
        It's not healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
          I actually more frequently notice the opposite. Many people have this complete trust in authority and credentials. A person's argument, regardless of their background, should always be judged by its rationale and facts, not the fact that the person behind the argument has the correct abbreviation after their name. It's just that people who have the right credentials frequently know what they are talking about .

How many times has someone received garbage advice from a doctor, and refuses to listen to any counterargument because the original came from a doctor and is, single-handedly due to that fact alone, assumed to be 100% correct?

Experts' opinions carry a lot more weight than non-experts, but should always be treated with some skepticism.
          I am with Quikky on this one. Pretty much never have I come across an example of low-minds getting held up like high-minds. However, I can't see the whole world at the same time.

There've been dropouts that have defined whole industries before, as well.

M.

Comment

Also, I'm kind of over the "holier than thou" attitude on any dietary implementation...precisely because it's so subjective.
            Yeah, I'm at that point. I spend a lot of time and resources working out and cooking/obtaining healthy foods. I'm over judging people who elect to use their time and resources differently.

Great, you don't eat sugar/gluten/carbs/fat/animal products/soy/fruit/nuts/oil/dairy/fast food/soda/nightshades.

I eat pretty damn healthy because I don't want to be a fat ass. It doesn't make me special or "better".

And damn, I eat meat on Fridays, I may well be going to hell.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by TQP View Post
              My mom had to bottle feed my siblings because her breastmilk wouldn't stop gushing when I was a baby and so they gave her some sort of shot to help her stop.
              She shoulda used cabbage leaves.
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

sometimes lying down reduces the flow........
                "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Not the dude who's the most in shape person they know and spends a maximum of 2.5 hours in the gym a week (coworker is more in the 15 hour per week range).
                  They assume you have good genes.

If it makes you feel better, I lift heavy and eat like you, and women do ask me how I lost the weight and when I tell them "lift heavy weights" they 1. don't want to get "bulky" (but want my small waist/nice ass....) and 2. "can't give up bread" ( though I eat bread one meal a week if I want it). I mean, no one seems to want to drink "coffee, with real cream, rib eyes, veggies cooked with bacon and one night a week you can you eat whatever" because they have to give up their skinny soy latte, daily bagel and oatmeal. "But I can't have my oatmeal?". "No, but you can have bacon and eggs".

So, well, more bacon, rib eyes, and local heavy cream for me. And I guess they are happy with their latte, spaghetti and oatmeal.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Drs who act like just bc you arent also a doctor you are therefore incapable of interpreting medical data/studies and having an intelligent conversation with them about different courses of action.

Comment

Valentines day after a break up.

F**k that.

Comment

Is it bad that I act like a totally illiterate doofas when I see my doctor now? I swear army docs get so personally insulted when you come in saying, "I've noticed this problem, and this is what if tried so far." My last yearly went basically like this: yeah um, I'm taking D because I'm female and bones you know? No mention of SAD. I'm not a big fan of sandwich bread, so when I ate some bread I broke out with cystic acne I thought I was over with. Weird right? Yeah, I eat "healthy"; no junk food, more fruit and vegetables, you know? 0_0

I don't know if I've posted much about a vegan coworker (not a huge fan of gossip unless the person is a jerk and deserves it). She's a really nice person but "militant and proud." Hehe luckily I've been working nights recently, and she hasn't seen my lunches/dinners. She recently had a baby, was vegan while carrying, and is raising her family vegan. Her newborn is in a brace for a poorly developed spine and is looking at surgery. It's just really sad.

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
                          3) It seems like there are about 3 types of guy out there, each equally irritating. The first are indistinguishable from women outside of their haircuts (sometimes) and chromosomes. They wear tight pants, usually look like they have never encountered a weight in their lives, and overall have the mannerisms and behavior of city-dwelling women. They text with emoticons without irony, but these are actually straight men.....the second group act like thugs, as if they are all trying out for an AND-1 basketball tournament in 15 minutes......the third are relentless rednecks that drive around their big truck as if its an extension of their masculinity.....in other words, masculinity is a total mess in America. Whatever happened to just being a man, being quiet about it, but unashamed. We seem to have only a caricature of both extremes.
                          This is just my experience. The best and worst drivers that I've encountered have all driven big trucks. The best ones are country boys that have had them for a long time and actually use them for hauling stuff when they're not at school. The worst ones are frat boy cowboys who bought them with their parents' money and don't know how to handle them.
                          In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                            I'm skeptical about having kids, but what's the point of having one if they're not going to be the cornerstone of your life? That's like...the point. Are there no clinics in their area? Accidents happen and all, but you don't have to be stuck with them.
                            I agree. Their pregnancy was accidental and he is from a very religious Mennonite family so they even got married just because she was pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                              This makes me so sad. What makes people think a manufactured "food" could be better for a human baby than mother's milk?!
                              I can understand in extreme situations it's necessary to find a different food source, but could we really have that many mothers and babies in such extreme situations, enough to fuel whole industries? If that's the case we really are in trouble.
                              Whenever I talk with pregnant ladies, they always say 'I hope I can breastfeed'. New mothers say 'I hope I have enough milk.' It seems people believe formula is the default mode of nursing babies. It's sad and the babies lose out.

Comment

Originally posted by earthlymumma View Post
                                Breastfeeding and co sleeping are kinda lazy but its also the way we were meant to do it biologically. Parenting as a whole is hard work, why pay to make it harder? Lol
                                Lol, when people ask me why I didn't pump and use a bottle, I just think they're crazy. Why would I want to do the extra work of pumping and sterilizing bottles when my dd can nurse directly? (My ex-husband never showed interest in wanting to help feed so not a factor...)

Also never bothered with a crib because lifting baby in and out of a crib was a lot of work and so hard on the back (I had a tailbone injury after childbirth).

Pretty lazy, but made life so much easier!

Comment

Working...
                                X