No announcement yet.

Best Sleep Hack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was chronically exhausted, unable to sleep well at night, falling asleep at work, and just a mess a few months ago. Here's what has helped me (very much life changing!)

1. Avoid blue light ~2 hours before bed (you might be able to get away with less time before bed, but this is a good starting point.) I got an orange light bulb from the hardware store, and use that (I stretch, exercise, read, listen to music, or write in the orange light - you don't have to do "restful" things - just avoid BLUE LIGHT.) Blue light = all screens (tablets, computer, tv, phone, etc.) and all white lights (since they have blue in them).

2. Avoid caffeine during the day. I don't drink coffee (or alcohol). I recently discovered the caffeine in dark chocolate totally kicks my butt when it comes to sleep. If I have it late at night, I just can't fall asleep - but even if I have it before noon, my sleep is restless, not deep, and I wake up tired. Sad, but I think I actually like sleep better than dark chocolate!

3. I've been cleaning up my diet as I did #1 and #2. I started changing my diet first, and my sleep didn't improve until I added the orange light. But, I can do an occasional (1 time a week or less) "cheat" day where I have a bit more sugar (and milk chocolate), and I still do ok. The dark chocolate though, seriously, kills my sleep...

That's what's working for me... and I haven't fallen asleep ONCE at 5pm (after work, used to happen EVERY day) since I started with the orange light (and orange glasses for traveling, or leaving the bedroom). Orange light bulb was $5, glasses were ~$7 or so on Amazon. Being able to wake up feeling rested = mind-bogglingly-amazing! ;-)

Good luck!

Comment

I've seen improvement the last two nights trying honey one and a banana the other. I've been reading about resistant starch on and off this weekend and I'm ready to give it a shot too.

Comment

sleep with socks on
        also try reading or watching a movie, sometimes it helps...
        and put your phone down.. tv turned off.. put your all lights off actually
        also sleeping with earplugs helps me fall asleep easier sometimes, but no chance of hearing the alarm if I need one

Comment

Grounding and avoiding blue light, plus the oblivious one, just get more sleep!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by NittyGrittyDanny View Post
            hippy cabbage
            Best euphemism ever.

Comment

Carbohydrates/starches no lower than 100 g + enough food overall.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                sexercise.
                +1.

Or Magnesium
                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I used to have a ton of staying asleep. I'd wake up at 3am and have trouble falling back asleep. I did a ton of research and testing and found a solution that helps me.

- Peppermint Tea with honey
                  - 1000 mg of Niacinamide

Taken right before bed time. Stuff makes me stay asleep.

Comment

I have real trouble with my sleep, I sleep about 2 to 4 hours every night and have for almost 3 years now.

I have two diagnosed chronic head conditions called aura migraines (pretty common) and cluster headaches (not so common).
                    My cluster headaches wake me every time I get near rem sleep and because of this I am afraid to sleep so I don't do it and then the lack of sleep makes everything worse. Even if I did fall asleep my cluster headaches would wake me as soon as I fall into rem sleep.

In my case I have to take more dramatic steps to get sleep, tonight I am starting melatonin because it is known to help some cluster suffers which is not recommended for everyone but in my rare case I do not have many choices. Cluster headache suffers often are very deficient in melatonin and in vitamin D3
                    -Nú mun hon søkkvask.

http://www.instagram.com/old_hag

Comment

Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
                      +1 on sexercise - with or without a partner. Nothing like a good Oh! to put you to sleep.
                      Not always. There's nothing more guaranteed to wake me up completely with no hope of sleep for at least 2 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Uggla View Post
                        I have real trouble with my sleep, I sleep about 2 to 4 hours every night and have for almost 3 years now.

I have two diagnosed chronic head conditions called aura migraines (pretty common) and cluster headaches (not so common).
                        My cluster headaches wake me every time I get near rem sleep and because of this I am afraid to sleep so I don't do it and then the lack of sleep makes everything worse. Even if I did fall asleep my cluster headaches would wake me as soon as I fall into rem sleep.

In my case I have to take more dramatic steps to get sleep, tonight I am starting melatonin because it is known to help some cluster suffers which is not recommended for everyone but in my rare case I do not have many choices. Cluster headache suffers often are very deficient in melatonin and in vitamin D3
                        That sounds pretty brutal. Careful with the melatonin, though, as it's a hormone.

I have a guy I know who suffers nightly (or nearly so) from sleep paralysis.

When I was heavier I was beginning to develop sleep apnea, but I can't imagine it's anything like legit pain.

M.

Comment

My wife just sent me this link from butterbeliever.com . Says to use a dose of sugar and salt to allow you to fall back asleep. Seems similar to some of your advice of carbs (bannana, honey) before bed. Maybe worth a shot.

I'm still experimenting with the Potato Starch before bed with decent results.

Comment

If your main problem is waking up and not being able to fall back asleep, it might help to realize waking up in the middle of the night is kinda normal. Search "second sleep", segmented sleep, and some phrase in French I can't remember right now. I'm pretty sure there've been some posts on the MDA blog about it, too.

The point isn't to know it as an abstract fact, but to remember it and use it to appreciate what's going on when you wake up. Remind yourself this is normal and you'll probably drop back off, especially if you develop some habits to keep yourself drowsy. For example, recite things you know by heart to yourself, do things that aren't too stimulating, and especially just don't get tensed up and freaking out because OMG I'll never get back to sleep and whatnot. Instead, think about calm things or do something soothing or repetitive (some people do minor chores).

I used to have that middle-of-the-night problem but now I've retrained myself totally, and I can fall back asleep even if I wake up about an hour before I wanted to get up, which used to be the kiss of death for me (and a sorely missed extra hour of sleep). Definitely can also make a difference if you either train yourself not to need a light if you need to get out of bed, or make sure your night light is not blue, as noted above.

I've tried the honey thing, and it doesn't make any difference for me. YMMV.
                            "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                            "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                            If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

Get up and get outside in the morning to get as much actual outside sunlight or just plain daylight, not through glass, as you can. That "resets" your body clock and really does help you to get to sleep the following night.

Comment

Originally posted by fifer View Post
                                Get up and get outside in the morning to get as much actual outside sunlight or just plain daylight, not through glass, as you can. That "resets" your body clock and really does help you to get to sleep the following night.
                                Yes, this, and also turn off all screens (blue light) at least an hour before bed, preferably a couple of hours.
                                Free Range Paleo on Facebook

My Paleo Diet Recipes and Ramblings and bacon related humor

Can you lose weight on a Paleo / Primal diet? Yes! Paleo Weight Loss

Comment

Working...
                                X