Primal Pets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Pets

Have any of you put your pets on a "primal" diet? The reason I ask is for dogs and cats specifically most of us know they are also becoming obese like some of their owners. Most of the dog/cat food out there are grain based (corn, oats, rice, etc) and predators like dogs/cats were not meant to each them. They were meant to exist on meats only. Some of the more top quality pet food are grain free and if you read the labels sound a lot like paleo/primal foods. Some ppl have gone away from kibble all together and feed their dogs raw which is 100% primal. I got a 7 month old boxer last month and when i got him he was nearly 70 pounds and was obviously chubby. The previous owner fed him a vet recommended dog food that is grain based (and by products). As soon as he came home to live with me I started feeding him a meat based kibble that was grain free and within the first week he lost 3 pounds and has a defined waist and muscles. He had an ear infection before we got him and I'm sure it was related to an allergy to the grains. Has anyone else on MDA being doing this?
    All time high weight 262 lbs
    Primal since Spring 2012
    Start PB Weight: 240 lbs ish
    Current Weight: 220lbs ish
    Goal Weight:190-200 lbs
    All on a 6ft. 1/2 inch frame.

I can't wait to meet my abs for the first time in my life. We gotta lot of catching up to do.

I love this way of eating and hope to be able to help others.

I was a Buyer for the Pet Department for an organic store for a while and got to know the brands really well. My favorite dry food is Orijen, easily.

A real, genuine primal pet diet would be like raw bones and meat and grasses, right?

Comment

Well, sort of. Our dogs eat Little Ceasar's, but they also eat raw chicken legs and thighs. They love those... although they tend to leave them where you can step on them. They also eat the food we eat. Spoiled things, but it doesn't seem to do them any harm. The vet says they're a bit overweight but I think the vet likes their dogs to be scrawny. They are definitely not obese.

As for our cats, they still eat Whiskas. I feel a bit bad about it but I'm not buying their food... and the younger cat is at least 12, while the older cat is 19! We must be doing something right.
      Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

I have 2 dogs, both a German Shepherd and an Alaskan Malamute.....both eat what nature intended for them to eat.

I would say that it is important to know exactly WHAT is natural for them, as it is not really identical across breeds. My vet counsels EVERY pet owner to do a raw diet, and that you will end up making the money back from lack of vet bills. She educated me that my GSD and Malamute were both intended to eat certain foods, which I try to accommodate.

GSD = 30% organ meat, bones, necks, 40% muscle meat, usually rabbit or venison. She ate a deer vertebrae, the entire thing, as her Xmas present. She was a happy dog

Malamute = fish make up 80% of it, as her ancestors lived on it almost exclusively. I tend to buy cheap stuff like mackerel, but she gets whole, frozen fish as her main meal every day. Walk it out to her and dinner is over! She has gotten a very impressive winter fat layer from it. Stays outside all winter, and it is a cold place here.

It's easier than most people realize to feed this way. Most of that stuff is very cheap, and a good dry food is crazy expensive. If you want them to live on cheap Iams or something, prepare for bad teeth and a lot of health problems. Simple. Both of mine are 4 and years old, and never been to the vet for any pressing issue.
        "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

I have 3 labs, and they have all eaten grain free their entire lives.. aside from the oldest who ate grain'ed kibble for the first few months until I learned better :-\

I used to feed them orijen, but since moving I haven't found a supplier by me...

Although I'm sure its not the most ideal, I feed them the costco grain free dog food (about 1/3 the cost of orijen per bag); there is both a turkey and a salmon variety which I switch between. Additionally, they are given some full fat plain yogurt (1-2 TBSP ea) with their meals for more healthy fats and the live cultures. I also give them egg shells from the pastured eggs I eat, and random veggie trimmings. Around holidays like thanksgiving, they get turkey too

Comment

Great responses from everybody. Folks that feed their pets like this have reported amongst other things they pets coats getting soft and shinny. I guess that is equivalent to us humans getting clearer skin and for the ladies getting silk smooth hair once they've gone primal/paleo. I would love to put my boxer on a raw diet but can't convince the wife to get on board.
            All time high weight 262 lbs
            Primal since Spring 2012
            Start PB Weight: 240 lbs ish
            Current Weight: 220lbs ish
            Goal Weight:190-200 lbs
            All on a 6ft. 1/2 inch frame.

I can't wait to meet my abs for the first time in my life. We gotta lot of catching up to do.

I love this way of eating and hope to be able to help others.

Comment

My office cat is VLC paleo, no grains or starchy carbs at all, and my Iguana that lives in the garden is still raw vegan...
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

My cats are slowly moving to a primal diet... Right now they are getting cooked meat and dry food. The dry food is not yet grain free but I recently found a pet store that it totally into a pet's primal diet so the dry food will be primal as well in a few weeks time.

funny thing is that with humans, cats have prefferences in food. One of my cat (the male) is a real primal eater and enjoys red meat for snack and refuses to eat anything else for snacks, while the other (the female of course) eats anything, bread, banana chips, potato chips, you name it she tries itm except fish...
                My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

I'm working on a 100% raw diet for my cat, but she first improved on a grain-free kibble. Then I switched to canned food only and her coat got softer & shinier. She was losing weight very slowly, but losing it. She weighed 14 lbs last year (I believe that was her highest) when I switched her canned food and it had more carbs in it. She had been 13 lbs the year before, definitely weighed less in between. Now she's definitely under 14 lbs, maybe under 13 lbs and her coat is even softer & shinier on a 1/2 canned 1/2 raw diet. I get the frozen ground chicken neck/back from Whole Foods & portion it out to mix with a little canned food. I just added Vit E and a B complex to the raw food and it seems to be making her perkier.

Next up is getting Taurine & mixing chicken liver into the raw mix.

Everything I've read about kibble is that it's really bad. I wouldn't call it primal at all. It's like cereal.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

I give my dog grain free dry dog food (blue wilderness). He likes it and his coat looks great. I wasn't aware Costco had a grain free variety. I might have to check that out.
                    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

Excited about hearing that Costco carries grain-free as we are getting one in BR very soon! Might have to try it.

We feed our boxer mix Solid Gold Barking At the Moon, we switched her from Beneful when I read that grains could cause a dog to have bad skin, like she had. Her skin immediately cleared up and she seemed more bouncy.

Our Doberman puppy gets Wellness Core GrainFree puppy, but he's had an almost constant ear infection and I'm sure it's related to the different foods we've tried, but I'm not sure which ingredient he might be allergic or having a reaction to. I might try the yogurt idea, maybe the puppy is missing some probiotics in his little puppy gut?

I would love to feed raw, but cost-wise it's not do-able right now and I feel okay at least feeding grain-free.

Comment

I feed mine Raw. Mostly Meat & bones,(focusing on wild game as possible) some eggs, yogurt etc... Id prefer to keep it prey model but not always do-able on a budget here.. but My vet bills are pretty much non-existent!

Last year my mastiff was mistaken for a 4 year old by the vet (he was 8 at the time, average life span for a Old english mastiff is 8-10)
                        Sadly I had to put him to sleep recently due to degenerative myelopathy, (a genetic disorder that affect the spine/nerves) but up till then he's never had to see the vet for anything aside from Physical injury. Not so much as a kennel cough in over 9 years. If it wasn't for the DM he most likely would have lived much much longer than average.

My GSD is the same, 4 years old & fit as they come, Ive also convinced quite a few of my clients (I work with dogs) to switch there pets to (preferably) raw or a good quality Grain free food such as Orijen with some pretty spectacular results.
                        Clearing up long term health issues that had been under vet treatment for years with no improvement (course theres been a few people very unhappy with there vets )
                        Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

We've been raw feeding our 3 labs for almost a year now. Mostly chicken (with bones), and some pork, fish, beef, venison, offal here and there. They absolutely love it!

They also get the shells from our pastured eggs, as well as any veggies/fruit we happen to have in the fridge that we won't be able to finish before it goes bad. Sometimes they get bananas and sweet potatoes too. For good bacteria, we sometimes add a little kombucha or naturally fermented saurkraut as well, which seems to help with the tummy troubles the yellow sometimes has.

I think/hope implementing the raw feeding will prolong their lives, and they seem to be happier and have more energy since switching. The two oldest are 8 and 9, and act like puppies.

Comment

For about 15 years, I have been feeding mostly raw. It has evolved over the years. I now feed a variety of raw meat with bones, organs, eggs with shells (ground), greens, some cooked fish and eggs, yogurt, sauerkraut. I think variety is important.

Several years before raw, I started with real food (cooked). My little Yorkie was having lots of health problems at an early age (round after round of antibiotics) - in my 20's just doing the norm feeding the vet recommended food, etc. Had enough of conventional vets after I questioned and got that 'I am the vet' attitude - searched out a holistic vet - health problems went away - never went back to conventional vet - she lived to almost 20. She was my teacher dog. She started me on my health journey.

My current 8 year old Newfie is 3rd generation raw fed, naturally reared. It just seems so normal to me that I forget that most people feed dog food. Supplementing with eggs is a great start. And, of course the grain free foods that are becoming more common.

Comment

Commercial pet food is a scam. Big time.

And dry food causes dehydration, more so with cats. Constant dehydration can cause diseases like kidney disease.
                              Cats dont need to drink hardly any water if eating primal (RAW). Same with dogs.

Cats and dogs will pee about 1/3 to 1/2 less on dry food because they are dehydrated .

And thats only addressing dry commercial food. Something that is not regulated properly and is cooked to within an inch of it's life. Can you imagine what cheap shortcuts some companies could take for "meat" ingredients?! Lol. Yuck.

Feed raw! And/ or at least wet food!

Comment

Working...
                              X