Am I doing something wrong???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tasteslikeburning View Post
    ...Or am I just being Impatient( I am sure it is the latter)?

I am 31, 5'7", started at 182 lbs, have been primal, with some slips on the weekend but not too bad, since Mid April so about a month and a half. I am in ketosis a lot, went from No and I mean NO activity to Weights 3 times a week for 30-45 min, sprints and running 5 times a week, biking and just recently Yoga mixed in. During the week, I am hard core Primal, with the occasional slip during the weekend(its hard to keep on track with a non Primal Partner) and I have dropped my weight to 173 lbs, gained a couple back this past weekend, due to slipping and I think a week of not enough sleep. I drink water like its going out of style, and almond milk, only 8oz, before bed, usually after a work out. I know everyone is different but I don't feel like I am getting results (maybe my expectations are too high, damn microwave generation). I am not thinking of quitting by any means, but I imagine the great results (these fantastic before and after) take a year or so and I need to stop expecting to wake up, primal and ripped (well semi ripped anyway). So I guess I am looking for personal advice, experiences and encouragement during this journey. I know better than to expect drastic change in a couple to a few months, but any way to accelerate the process if there are any, would be appreciated. Tips, Advice and Community support are a great thing.

Thanks in advance...
    Originally posted by adamsaysyo View Post
    I feel the same. PB for 3 months. 5'6', and only lost 7 pounds (was 182), although i know i have gained a LOT of muscle, but my stomach won't budge much. I cut down on my nuts 2 weeks ago and am 5 days into 16hr fastings (feed window noon-8pm) with no change in my weight. Very frustrated.... I guess there is no advice to give, other than be patient but it is driving me mad. I started losing weight CW way at 210 about a year ago.

Thanks for reading ... I just don't' know what else I can do! I feel your frustration tasteslikeburning!

cheers.
    -adam
    The almond milk is unsweetened, the plain variety, but does have cane juice in it ( I know, that's probably sugar)
    then it's not 'unsweetened'. it's sweetened with cane juice which is sugar. Absolutely positively must go. Unsweetened almond milk is available - ie *no* sweetener added.

"I need to also remove honey from my Greek yogurt and just have it plain."
    yup. honey is sugar metabolically speaking. sugar sugar sugar. I add a little xylitol if I must.....or cucumber and dill for a savory treat.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by DianeThePurple View Post
      If anything, it sounds like you are underestimating your sugar intake. Things like "cane juice" and honey may seem more natural than white granules out of a sugar bowl, but it's pretty much the same stuff.

Plug your numbers into Fitday and let us know what you find out!
      I will get on Fitday and start keeping a record, I will give it a couple to a few days before I post results, thanks everyone.
      Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Melanie1976 View Post
        First of all, I noticed after I posted that you lost 9 lbs in the space of a month and that is AMAZING!!! Obviously you are doing something right! WOOT!

Yeah I think cane juice is def sugar and is driving your carbs up.

I need a food journal too! I've been saying that for a year!
        Originally posted by cillakat View Post
        few things to consider:
        sleep apnea? it's very hard to loose weight without treating it first.
        vitamin D deficency? pandemic in developed countries....test via LabCorp or ZRT and treat accordingly
        track cals for a few days: some simply *can* overeat - even on primal....I can. my personal preference is nutritiondata.org
        I guess my progress is pretty good despite my slips and falls. Its all going to boil down to self discipline along with patience. I will do the food journal and Fitday tracking, and cut the easy stuff like the Almond milk and honey, I dont have any sugar anywhere else that is quite so obvious and thankfully I'm not a sweets\sugar person, I prefer salty to sweet, but I dont really use salt either. I guess I have made good progress. Sometimes it takes outside perspective to get that. I figured out tonight after my workout that one of my problems cant be fixed by diet. Its body image, I guess I have a distorted view of what pounds coming off should look like as opposed to what it actually looks like in the mirror. So that is a personal thing I need to work on. I am sure in time I will look back and see my progress was better than I thought. I'm glad to have a community to turn to though, sites like this make the journey much easier, and even pleasant.

My sleep is ok, no apnea that I know of, though I should shoot for a couple more hours of sleep, I take vitamins as well as eat a wide array of veg with moderate fruit and great meats every day so I think vitamin wise I am ok, plus I get outdoors almost every day for an hour or so. But I do have to watch over eating even on Primal, so I watch my portions like a hawk.
        Tim

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
          then it's not 'unsweetened'. it's sweetened with cane juice which is sugar. Absolutely positively must go. Unsweetened almond milk is available - ie *no* sweetener added.

"I need to also remove honey from my Greek yogurt and just have it plain."
          yup. honey is sugar metabolically speaking. sugar sugar sugar. I add a little xylitol if I must.....or cucumber and dill for a savory treat.

K
          You are so right about the sugars, they all have the same effect, thankfully I like the Greek yogurt plain on its own, we were doing local honey for allergies but it didn't do anything for me so I can cut that, do you think dairy should be cut besides maybe some cheeses? Not sure where to get unsweetened milk of any kind. They all seem to have sugar in some form....Is there raw milk outside of me milking the cows down the street?
          Tim

Comment

So you're lifting weights 3 times a week, you run and sprint 5 times a week, and you do yoga ... sounds a little bit too busy for me. Cut back on the sprinting (do it once every 10 days - or even just every other week), and make sure that your running is low intensity. Otherwise you might be experiencing chronically elevated cortisol levels, which would be a good explanation of resilient belly fat.
            MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
              So you're lifting weights 3 times a week, you run and sprint 5 times a week, and you do yoga ... sounds a little bit too busy for me. Cut back on the sprinting (do it once every 10 days - or even just every other week), and make sure that your running is low intensity. Otherwise you might be experiencing chronically elevated cortisol levels, which would be a good explanation of resilient belly fat.
              See thats my old thinking getting me again, hard to make my brain believe cutting back in activity will help me. To clarify, I do run 5 times a week but 2 of those times I run, are sprint sessions, so 3 days running, and 2 sprinting(on the days I don't do weights) but it is medium to low intensity running.
              Tim

Comment

Well, I'm in the same boat as far as weight loss. 6', 175. I originally dropped about 10lbs, but then it came back up a few pounds to settle in this range. Frustrating, but I do love eating this way, and after six months, my already good blood work is even better, lowering "bad" cholesterol and Tris by 9 pts, and raising good cholesterol by 10. I work out or move 6 days/week, as I have an torn disc and need to stay strong in my core and limber in my back, but I mix it up and am not a slave to the gym. I love Zumba! (Dang, I can't swivel like I used to...). I dream about running. Hiking is a gift.
                It's hard for me to think that limiting my veggies may be what is necessary. Omlette with one slice bacon, mushrooms, spinach, and a sprinkling of goat cheese? Avocado..mixed greens with chicken or steak...grilled fish. Berries for fruit. Asparagus. Buffalo. Taco salad.
                So perhaps I need to embrace the fat, both in my diet and on my body. I am healthy, I am fit, though still not lean. Even though it seems my injury will take away the job I love, I am still moving and not on painkillers. But 24% BF seems too much. It's hard when you are used to aiming for your best to come up short. I know that I am doing the right thing for my body and health, but the key to weight loss still eludes me. Maybe I'll do some coconut oil shots and cut out my ounce of nuts to see if that helps. Life is a gift. I don't mean to whine. Maybe plateaus have a purpose.

Comment

How close are you to your goal mslizzy? If you have one. I am setting a range that I will be happy with more than a solid number, plus once my fat loss is where I want it to be, the LBS number will be irrelevant due to muscle \ fat weight difference. I fully expect my weight to go up as I increase muscle mass. Of course the factors vary greatly between men\women and age groups and injurys or none, and individual body\metabolism makeup. It could be you are in the zone where you are close to your bodys ideal and so you are getting more resistance? Good for you for your blood work numbers! That is definitely an achievement.

As a side note: I assume BMI charts are worthless since they basically lump everyone into one chart which is really impossible.
                  Tim

Comment

I would just like to be a fit size 10. No weight in particular, though I would think it would take about 15 lbs to be there comfortably. I probably need to just get over it. This is the weight my body comes back to, whether I am eating 1600 or 2400 cal, cw or primal. So eat, live, and work out well, I guess. At 42, the only one I am trying to prove anything to is myself. Thank you for your kind words, and good luck on your journey.

Comment

mslizzy,

Google the bullet proof back, or Eric Wong. He is a trainer who has studied with some of the top back Doc's out there who developed a great program for people with back problems/injuries. He had a botched back surgery that messed him up bad, and now he trains pro MMA fighters. My mom has had cronic disc problems for years, but has been using this program for a few months and has seen massive improvment.

Comment

See thats my old thinking getting me again, hard to make my brain believe cutting back in activity will help me. To clarify, I do run 5 times a week but 2 of those times I run, are sprint sessions, so 3 days running, and 2 sprinting(on the days I don't do weights) but it is medium to low intensity running.
                        That's still too much IMO. I would really recommend to only sprint once a week, at a maximum. Take into account the three weight lifting sessions, too. Does this look like your weekly schedule?

1: Weights
                        2: Run
                        3: Sprint
                        4: Run+Weights
                        5: Run
                        6: Sprint+Weights
                        7: Run

First of all, I miss "Play" or "Rest". Of course you could also do it this way:

1: Run+Weights
                        2: Rest
                        3: Run+Sprint
                        4: Run+Weights
                        5: Run
                        6: Run+Weights
                        7: Sprint

But any way I put it, it seems too much to me. Also: Are you sure that the running sessions are low intensity (less than 75% MHR)?

How about this schedule:

1: Weights
                        2: Run
                        3: Run+Weights*
                        4: Run
                        5: Weights
                        6: Rest
                        7: Sprint

*=Body Weight session, less weight, more repetitions
                        MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

In going over my records this is the most accurate representation of my week, workout wise.

M: Run+Weights+Bike
                          T: Bike + Yoga or Run
                          W: Run+Weights+Bike
                          T: Yoga + Run or Sprints Or Bike
                          F: Off / Play
                          S: Run+Weights (and usually yard work)
                          S: Off or Play

Running sessions are 20 min, rarely 30, at 5mph for half then 6mph for the last half, with a cool down for a couple of min at walking pace, I sweat and my HR goes up but its like a marathon pace, maybe half or just over half of my potential full speed. Weights are 30 to 40 minutes, not extremely heavy, but enough to build again I am not going for the huge bulked up look, more the lean toned look. And for me Play = biking, or vigorous Frisbee, playing with the dogs, ect...
                          Tim

Comment

Sounds like you might be overtraining a bit also and that can hinder your progress, hence no recovery time. Last year I did crossfit only 3-4 times a week with a whole lotta walking on the other days and was not even wholly primal and I seen results after the 4th week. Hope this might help.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerfan90 View Post
                              Sounds like you might be overtraining a bit also and that can hinder your progress, hence no recovery time. Last year I did crossfit only 3-4 times a week with a whole lotta walking on the other days and was not even wholly primal and I seen results after the 4th week. Hope this might help.
                              In looking at what I was doing in print, it does seem that maybe I should pick one activity and do it that day. I know I have said it before but its a hard concept to swallow, Over training I mean. Simplistically you would think the more you do the better but recovery is important. I guess it wont hurt to try just one thing a day for a while and see how it goes. I guess I am paranoid just a little about not doing enough, but I have read on the boards about people doing less than I do and getting results.
                              Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X