No announcement yet.

How do you handle cravings for alcohol?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This probably sounds terrible, but nothing works like a good old fashioned aversion. I went a year and a half with absolutely NO desire what-so-ever for liquor (especially whiskey) after one REALLY good bender. I've done the same (to a smaller degree) with wine. Only now, that I'm working in a bar, is anything more than beer at all remotely palatable. And that's only because the shots were bought for me. I don't/won't ask for liquor or wine on my own.

So... if you're having a really hard time, and being "clean" isn't working, give one REALLY BAD night a try. Send the kids to a sitter, have responsible supervision, and drink your face off on your wine of choice. Don't take any precautions for minimizing the hangover, and when the hangover comes, SUFFER through it. You probably won't want wine again for a very long time.

On the other hand... if you like a glass of wine in the evening, weigh whether giving it up is worthwhile or not. If you allow yourself to have A glass, freely and liberally, you'll find that some nights you just don't care to have it. No big deal.

I've had a rough relationship with food over the years, and the one thing I've learned is that no amount of negotiating, bargaining, or categorizing will make food cravings go away. You get to a place where you either make yourself loathe it, or you come to peace with it and allow yourself to indulge within reason.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Apparently I'm in the minority but I see nothing wrong with a single 5oz glass of high quality wine in the evening. Is it primal? No. But it's also not inherently unhealthy and in fact may be quite healthy. If you budget for the 150 or so calories it gives you, then you should be fine. Count it as your 10%.
      High Weight: 225
      Weight at start of Primal: 189
      Current Weight: 174
      Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Diana... Yeah, the relationship with food is a biggie too... I love the book "Fattitudes"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
        True freedom is the ability to live in a way that is all life giving, not clouded by anything that contaminates body, spirit, or mind.

My journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread86444.html;)

Comment

Red wine is delicious and good for you. Drink it and enjoy, unless you have an addiction or something. This isn't weight watchers, stop counting calories. Make yourself a big buttery grass fed ribeye, pour yourself some wine, and enjoy life!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

I used to feel that way, but after stopping the nightly glass or two of wine the improvement in my sleep alone has made me decide to keep the wine to special occasions only.

Comment

Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
              Apparently I'm in the minority but I see nothing wrong with a single 5oz glass of high quality wine in the evening. Is it primal? No. But it's also not inherently unhealthy and in fact may be quite healthy. If you budget for the 150 or so calories it gives you, then you should be fine. Count it as your 10%.
              Originally posted by Markbt View Post
              Red wine is delicious and good for you. Drink it and enjoy, unless you have an addiction or something. This isn't weight watchers, stop counting calories. Make yourself a big buttery grass fed ribeye, pour yourself some wine, and enjoy life!
              Exactly.

Comment

have some primal sex. make the neighbors think some wild animals are in season at yore house!!!

or just don't buy wine and have it in the house???

Comment

Working...
                X