Self Defense Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Defense Question

I'd like to get my fifteen year old son some self defense training and I was wondering what would be best. I'm not thinking of ongoing martial arts training, but just maybe an eight week course so he'd learn some skills to handle himself if he gets jumped or something. Looking online I see a lot of different martial arts classes, but nothing just "self defense." What would be the best kind for basic self defense?

Krav maga is good for self defense and the easiest to pick up lot of the police forces around the world teach this now

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

My 15 yr old son is taking a self defense course at school based on Krav Maga. I don't think it's very involved, more like an introduction, he really likes it.
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by rj4242 View Post
        I'd like to get my fifteen year old son some self defense training and I was wondering what would be best. I'm not thinking of ongoing martial arts training, but just maybe an eight week course so he'd learn some skills to handle himself if he gets jumped or something. Looking online I see a lot of different martial arts classes, but nothing just "self defense." What would be the best kind for basic self defense?
        I took a basic self defense course over a summer at my college. We learned some basic techniques, like escaping from holds, throwing people, and punching. Some of it was useful, but most of it wasn't. I don't think it'd be worth paying money for a course like that. Most of the useful information can be found for free on the internet.

I'd mainly recommend that your son learn as much about situational awareness as possible. It's more useful than having a Glock stuffed with hollowpoints or a black belt in jiu-jitsu. He should walk with confidence, make eye contact with people, and always be aware of his surroundings.

I don't know your son's build, but being big and strong is useful, too. It won't necessarily make your son a better fighter, but it at least gives the appearance. Bad guys aren't dumb. They would prefer not to get killed or injured when they try to rob someone and pick their targets accordingly. I'm big, ugly, pay attention to my surroundings, and haven't been in a fight in maybe 6 years. I hope that helped.
        In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

What do you really want?

1. Do you want to give him skills? As honestly, skills take a lot of work to develop, on going conditioning, and are a large commitment to maintain and improve. As well as there is no guarantee that they would actually help in a street fight. In addition, there are potentially large legal liabilities of doing so.

2. Do you want him to avoid fights? As situation awareness is probably one of the better things he could develop if you are interested in this side of it.

Mind you, these two things are quite different, but all too often confused for the same thing when people start talking about "wanting to know how to defend themselves". If you want a much better explanation of this, read: “X” Marks the Spot. Get Off the “X” | Tony Blauer Blog
          turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

Honestly I think the best fighting/self-defense training is good old-fashioned boxing.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Krav Maga ~ p.s. they also incorporate boxing!

Comment

The issue here is that to be proficient at legitimate self-defense one needs to legitimately train hard for it. It's ongoing; you don't pick it up in a few weeks and then just have it on the shelf in case something goes wrong.

Sent via Transmogrifier

Comment

Whatever you choose, go for a reality based (i.e. non sporting) system as self defence is useless if you get used to adhering to 'rules' during training. The way you train is the way you will fight if it comes to it.

One caveat though - 15 years is pretty young to learn the no-holds-barred, simple and brutal stuff that will (hopefully) work on the street when you need it to, so you have to be careful as teenagers can sometimes get carried away.

Krav Maga is great, I understand. I'm a big fan of a New York based system called Guided Chaos FWIW.

Comment

When my son was taking jujitsu, his Sensei taught the kids that the first two things that they hit with are their eyes and their voice. It's about projecting the attitude that you're going to stand up for yourself. And he was very clear that the skills he taught were unlikely to work in a real-world fight. If it comes to that, there's no shame in using whatever skills you have to get into a position where you can run away.

Comment

A lot of Krav Maga that is being taught in many places is bogus, ill-trained garbage in my opinion. The worst kind of training is false training, where you have just enough confidence to stick around, not enough skill to avoid a hospital visit.

If you goal is purely to avoid getting jumped or beaten up, then learning grappling techniques will not help you. Either go all the way with the training or keep it very basic.

I learned what I know from spending a lot of time on military bases, but my father gave me the best advice:
                      "Son, remember: no one wants to mess with a crazy person.....doesn't matter how small or he is or how old. No one wants to fight that guy that will gouge your eyes out or try to bite your fingers off."

One of the few times self-defense ever came into play was when I was a bartender, right before I went to school for a season. A guy got all tough at the end of the night with his buddies around, pretty much hinted him and 4 other guys were about to jump the bar....then my dad's advice came to mind.

I said something like this, mixed with a lot of F-bombs, "Please jump over this bar. They know me pretty well in the jail here and I want to bite one of your f-ing noses off. PLEASE COME OVER!" I had my eyes wide as they could get, started jumping up and down like a rapid monkey, punching myself in the head, repeating "Let me kill one of you MF's! WHOO!!!!"

They got the hell out of there, plus I attracted the attention of every person/bouncer in the bar.

See, this kind of thing doesn't get taught at Karate class
                      "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Best martial art for self-defense? Probably sprinting – run away from any unclear situation fast as hell! Use boxing, strike with your hands to keep attackers at distance, don‘t kick, use legs to keep yourself running! If somebody manage to grab you, use Judo and throw the attacker on his head or on his back and get away. If you have to go to the ground finish your opponent as fast as possible and run away. Most important; get away from the situation, don’t play a hero...
                        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Check out Gracie Bully Proof: Gracie BullyProof - Training Programs

Comment

Real life fights are pretty anti-climactic. My One Fight: *bloody nose* "That was it?? I won???"

Later in life I used a 1970's woman's self defense course move to get out of a double wrist hold. We both stared at each other, and I could see the wheels turning in his head, "Uh-oh, maybe I better not mess with this one!"

For all the smack Krav Maga gets (usually by people who haven't taken a course yet), it does teach you to be aware of your surroundings, run, and get out of the situation before using any physical techniques. It's something. The rest of my education came from NPR (!), my friends' grandfather's WW2 stories (how to bite an ear off), an Italian neighbor (how to dislocate a jaw), and other Urban Legends.

If you take away one thing from any self defense lesson from any tradition, it's *something* if you find yourself in a situation you can't run away from.

Comment

Running away is the best option. ... Unless you're with someone.

Comment

Working...
                              X