Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plus size barbie is down, how are we feeling about these?

beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

it's the PC 'being fat is good' message that I have issues with.
      If you can cite an example of that beyond some weird fringe group, I'd be surprised. I think most fat acceptance is more:

Acceptance only means that - accepting the fact that we're all different, and except for a small minority of very damaged people, everyone has something positive to bring to the table.
      I was passed over for a lot of design jobs (design being a field driven often by image), despite being an excellent student, who won a couple of design awards. Yeah, I was fat, but I was a good designer, top of my class. The worst part about being fat is that for a lot of people, they see your fat and it stops there. It's a lot like how black people are often treated. It's a shitty feeling.

I think all most fat acceptance people want is the same thing racial groups want- for people to look beyond the fat. I don't think when a fat woman interviews for a job at a law firm that she wants the hiring manager to find her fuckable, she just wants her ability to argue a case considered. It's often not.

I guess there is not much you can do, people can think and act how they want, but I can't blame fat people for wanting to see more positive representations of fat people in the media. It does help break some barriers.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

You get treated poorly at such a weight because you treat yourself poorly. You make poor decisions(and to some extent your parents make poor decisions) and don't take care of yourself and you end up that size. Yes, bad diets will cause you to eventually balloon up when you eat normally again and many people at that size are depressed and depression is a huge contributor to obesity in multiple ways.

Either way, you have to look at it as 20:20. You've obviously made a considerable effort and it's paying off. No need to hold on to past pains, if anything showcase that you've made an affirmative change and lead by example. Fat can't be healthy, regardless of whatever lazy politically correct horseshit they want to push. This is one reason why society is declining as a whole -- shit like this.
        Last edited by Derpamix; 12-28-2013, 09:18 PM.
        Make America Great Again

Comment

Accept the fat or go to jail!!!

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

^ No one will care about this fat guy, as he's a man and men are fair game.
            Make America Great Again

Comment

He probably have some back ups then...

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Plus-Size Barbie

Lol Gorbag and derp XD

That second picture...so much I can comment on but I will not.
                ------
                HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                  Oh my GOD

Also, being fat is a choice, being a different race is not. Not that I'm for the anti-racism(aka anti-white male) affirmative action crap either(if race really didn't matter, why do they care about representation in the media et al?), but that is a poor comparison.
                  Make America Great Again

Comment

Hell the backlash on political correctness has been so profound that people actually pride themselves in some of the more despicable beliefs from which pc grew. I've seen racist comments on here that made me cringe.
                    I've seen no such thing here, but you should get used to that backlash. Each day more people of my generation wake up and see what's going on, and we're rightfully pissed off. We're going to start cleaning up the mess very soon, the mess that previous generations left behind, and it's going to start with the political correct bullshit that is essentially trying to displace an entire group of young white males.

We've been raised by technology in an era where all information and knowledge is available at our fingertips, and given the direction everything is going, this makes my generation by far the most intelligent and potentially dangerous generation that's ever existed. Insurgence is coming. The more that nutcase left wing wacko communists push their oppressive agenda in the name of "equality", the more of us there are.

Progressive stack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This sums everything up
                    Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                      But back to the topic at hand. Does anyone believe that the fat acceptance movement is doing anyone a favor? Even if we put aesthetics aside, what could possibly be positive about it? People would feel better about themselves while getting fatter and fatter, more and more sick. I'm not intending to be harsh, only trying to understand the logic and psychology behind it all.
                      Hmm, this is a great question and not easy to discuss without emotion, even online. But I will put in a comment.

Back when I was growing up, 40 years ago, I can recall barely a handful of children who the rest of us regarded as "fat". Without getting into the topic of how we treated them vs how we should have treated them and how they would be treated today - Recently I have seen photos of two of those people when they were in their teens. They really don't look all that big, in fact they look like a heck of a lot of today's children and teenagers.

The sad thing to me is that those people have continued to grow more and more obese. One of them is a very successful man with a great career and many friends, but he is huge and his health is suffering greatly. The other is already dead from ill health before the age of 50.

So while I think it is right and good to acknowledge and treat all people with dignity and respect, no matter their size, I can also understand the reservations about too much "fat acceptance" because it is actually potentially very destructive to the individual.

I certainly don't know what the answer is.
                      Annie Ups the Ante
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Honestly, I still can't for the life of me see why people make such a big deal over weight anyways.Someone's weight means jack squat. If someone is heavy, there are any number of reasons for them to be so, everything from the statistically unlikely fat slob to the equally unlikely unfixable glandular problem with every shade of lazy, health problem, and working their ass off in between. Same thing goes for toothpicks like me. I actually am one of the statistically unlikely genetic toothpicks. It takes effort for me to keep above the underweight line.
                        If you want to shame someone over something, pick something in their personality: they're judgmental, they're have no drive, they're stupid and proud of it. Honestly, I'd rather see folks build each other up than tear each other down. Society does enough of that for us.
                        I don't like the obese Barbie for the same reason I don't like the traditional Barbie: it normalizes an unheathy or less than common appearance. I'd be ecstatic to see a "Healthy Barbie," but that won't happen.
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

Plus-Size Barbie

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                          I've seen no such thing here, but you should get used to that backlash. Each day more people of my generation wake up and see what's going on, and we're rightfully pissed off. We're going to start cleaning up the mess very soon, the mess that previous generations left behind, and it's going to start with the political correct bullshit that is essentially trying to displace an entire group of young white males.

We've been raised by technology in an era where all information and knowledge is available at our fingertips, and given the direction everything is going, this makes my generation by far the most intelligent and potentially dangerous generation that's ever existed. Insurgence is coming. The more that nutcase left wing wacko communists push their oppressive agenda in the name of "equality", the more of us there are.

Progressive stack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This sums everything up
                          +1

Eta: omg my law school and that stack.:.
                          Last edited by turquoisepassion; 12-29-2013, 05:19 AM.
                          ------
                          HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Plus-Size Barbie

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                            Honestly, I still can't for the life of me see why people make such a big deal over weight anyways.Someone's weight means jack squat. If someone is heavy, there are any number of reasons for them to be so, everything from the statistically unlikely fat slob to the equally unlikely unfixable glandular problem with every shade of lazy, health problem, and working their ass off in between. Same thing goes for toothpicks like me. I actually am one of the statistically unlikely genetic toothpicks. It takes effort for me to keep above the underweight line.
                            If you want to shame someone over something, pick something in their personality: they're judgmental, they're have no drive, they're stupid and proud of it. Honestly, I'd rather see folks build each other up than tear each other down. Society does enough of that for us.
                            I don't like the obese Barbie for the same reason I don't like the traditional Barbie: it normalizes an unheathy or less than common appearance. I'd be ecstatic to see a "Healthy Barbie," but that won't happen.
                            Oh! I get it... So when they are fat and it is a combo of genetics, upbringing, and self effort (but mostly self effort for most fat people) they MUST be left alone...

No one better mention bad health even if more likely than not the person can help it!

But if they are stupid and it is a combo of genetics, upbringing, and self effort they are totally okay to being criticized!!!

Oh. That makes total sense and is not hypocritical at all.

... And wtf is a "normal" sized Barbie anyway? Your normal or mine, or that of the CEO of Mattel?
                            Last edited by turquoisepassion; 12-29-2013, 05:46 AM.
                            ------

Comment

We've been raised by technology in an era where all information and knowledge is available at our fingertips, and given the direction everything is going, this makes my generation by far the most intelligent and potentially dangerous generation that's ever existed.
                              Perhaps informed, but I think there are some aspects of intelligence lacking like critical thinking skills among a lot of people these days. Not a lot of thought about the information they receive. Just reactions a lot of time, but I think it is typical of younger people to not have enough life experience to be able to really consider what information means. Like a lot of young people are very black and white on issues, then evolve over time.

I think the impact of being fat varies with your economic/racial status. It probably is too acceptable in some communities. But I see it thru the lens of affluent white girl, and that is probably the one person for whom fat is never accepted or tolerated, and where your body size is a factor in your life outcome. The pressure to have a body that conforms is tremendous and in some ways, the most important aspect. It's also a group of people where obesity is not a norm. If I go to certain parts of town, I am the fatass.

It's hard- I think there is a balance that needs to be struck. The good thing is that you don't need to look like Barbie to be accepted or considered attractive. The bad thing is that not just obesity, but morbid obesity is becoming a norm among a lot of groups of people. That does need to be fixed, and being insulted/looked down on can be a motivating factor for some people. But I think for most people, fixing their weight problems needs to come from internal motivation, which if you have low self esteem from years of insults, is more than a little hard to come by.

People handle that stuff differently. For some, Turqouise...it rolls off your back or makes you stronger. But for others, it just weighs you down into depression and self hate. So.... what do you tell people? Obviously, the health angle is not working.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Thank you for twisting my words. That was not what I said. I actually said the polar opposite of that. I said not to tease, torture and make fun of folks, but if you're enough of a dick to do so, go after personality.
                                I also said that, as you don't know someone's history, you don't know why they are heavy or a toothpick; ergo, you could be making fun of them for something beyond their control. There are many meds and conditions with weight gain as a side effect.
                                A "normal" Barbie would be of a height comparable to a standard female (5'6" in America, I believe), and square in the middle, or even the upper end, of a healthy weight range. As to shape, I believe your average American female is a pear or apple, so why not use one of those?
                                Personally, I despise Barbies. Always have.
                                And, with that, I'm done arguing with folks who just want to pick a fight.
                                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                                My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X