Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 50, with zero kids, should I hang a stocking from the mantel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 50, with zero kids, should I hang a stocking from the mantel?

Just wondering at what age I am no longer obligated to get trinkets from Santa in a stocking at this time of year... Thoughts.
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

...Did you get trinkets last year, that you didn't put in? If so go for it. Hurhurhur.
    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
      ...Did you get trinkets last year, that you didn't put in? If so go for it. Hurhurhur.
      Sorry, but, whoooosh!
      Last edited by PBNewby; 12-25-2013, 06:33 AM.

"I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
      "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

Anyone over the age of 6 still believing in fantasy can be certified for lifelong status as a true believer - have at it.

Comment

I am 59. I still hang the stocking. My mom is 86. She still doesn't put anything in it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

You can cease and desist at the time when you no longer wish to do it.

At which time- bid farewell to your inner child
            http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

Never too old
              My interesting paleo weight loss blog

Comment

I'm 50, with zero kids, should I hang a stocking from the mantel?
                Only if it's a thigh high with a seam up the back.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by PBNewby View Post
                  Just wondering at what age I am no longer obligated to get trinkets from Santa in a stocking at this time of year... Thoughts.
                  Thoughts?

Obligated? WHO'S obliging you? Do if you want. Or maybe do it if it pleases someone else, even if there are no children - who, yes, do like this sort of thing - involved.

Maybe this kind of thing comes under "imagination" anyway. That's OK, isn't it? No reason we have to stick with 19th century conceptions, where there's no role for the symbolic in our lives - just the the "literal" which supposedly exists independently of us.

Do it if it pleases you, I suggest.

Comment

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                    Thoughts?

Obligated? WHO'S obliging you? Do if you want. Or maybe do it if it pleases someone else, even if there are no children - who, yes, do like this sort of thing - involved.

Maybe this kind of thing comes under "imagination" anyway. That's OK, isn't it? No reason we have to stick with 19th century conceptions, where there's no role for the symbolic in our lives - just the the "literal" which supposedly exists independently of us.

Do it if it pleases you, I suggest.
                    Lots of great responses, thanks!

Thinking about my original question, I believe I used those words (thoughts, obligated) because that IS how I feel. And, I recognize those words reveal that I am not feeling very Christmas-y at a time when it is customary to feel it. This is the main reason I came here to solicit the opinion of others.

I believe I have yet to say goodbye to my inner child, and I would like to think that he is no longer 6, 8, or even 10 years old. Or at least that if he is such an age, it is a figurative condition. I mean, when is it appropriate to give a 40-50 year old man a Mr. Potato head toy, and expect him to be enthralled as though he were actually a 6 year old?

My inner child is what gets me to not hold back when trying new things, to play in the sand at the beach, to experience life (as an adult) without being stuffy about things that might be considered childish at times. Can I really be expected to re-live my past and jump for joy when I find school pencils and a pencil box in my stocking? How about when I receive things that I absolutely do not need/will not use, nor do I have the space to put them in my home?

I think I am a believer in the adage that spending time is a much greater gift than spending money. I value the time I spend with my family more than the trinkets I find in a stocking. It is enough for me to be around them and enjoy the day with them. But I feel obligated (so as not to disappoint them) when I don't become giddy over the contents of a stocking they place for me.

I appreciate all of your comments.
                    Last edited by PBNewby; 12-25-2013, 06:37 AM. Reason: to add a holiday greeting!

Comment

You always have a choice.

You could announce that you feel you are too old for a stocking and advise that you will not hang it next year. Whoever's filling it may or may not be upset that you are breaking a tradition.

If you think they may be upset you still have a choice. You can stick with your decision and let them learn to get used to it and to the new grown up you.

Or, you can decide to graciously let this tradition continue, then subsequently regift the contents to someone who would in fact get some enjoyment from them.

Depends what you want more out of this situation - to not be treated like a child, or to allow someone else a kind of pleasure even if you don't quite love it any more. Best wishes.
                      Annie Ups the Ante
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Thanks.

I wish that my family placed more value on spending quality time together, rather than spending money (on things they think I need (but don't)).

I snubbed a major portion of tradition 5 or 6 years ago. Now my folks don't exchange gifts with me, but they still put things in my stocking (as though they are from Santa?). I don't now how to fix any of this, short of going back to behaving like I am a six-year old, and by the sounds of this discussion - I have a lot of work to do on myself!

Comment

Ohhh, it's for your folks. I missed that (sorry, I only skimmed a lot of the thread). Hindsight is 20:20, but I'll share. Indulge your folks. You're 50, so your folks are in their 70s or 80s? Let them have their fun. Old parents/grandparents and old pets - my vote is to indulge them for the last leg of their journey on Earth. Giving feels good. Giving to the ones we love feels even better. Let them feel good.

Just my and YMMV.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Thanks.
                            I didn't mention my parents, sorry. We've been giving them gifts the whole time. They seemed to stop, but we never stopped. This year they apparently decided to give us a gift, but, as a result of my small-ish tantrum about the stocking, the whole holiday went south for me (in more ways than one). I am struggling with why it is that I don't feel like giving gifts to my family anymore. Something about giving gifts in general falls flat for me. I truly enjoy spending the holidays with my wife's family, and we no longer exchange gifts with them. So, I guess I realize that having a good holiday is not tied at all to the gifts (since I enjoy the in-law holiday times at least as much, even though there's no gift exchanging involved).

You are correct I should indulge my parents, and I have no issue with that.
                            Last edited by PBNewby; 12-26-2013, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                              Ohhh, it's for your folks. I missed that (sorry, I only skimmed a lot of the thread). Hindsight is 20:20, but I'll share. Indulge your folks. You're 50, so your folks are in their 70s or 80s? Let them have their fun. Old parents/grandparents and old pets - my vote is to indulge them for the last leg of their journey on Earth. Giving feels good. Giving to the ones we love feels even better. Let them feel good.

Just my and YMMV.
                              nicely put, Joanie. I agree.
                              Annie Ups the Ante
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Working...
                              X