Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone made HUGE life changes to become more simple/primal/happy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The other thing to remember is that once you retire you are not required to stay in the country where you made your money. For example with $500K USD you could live for like 1,000 years in SE Asia.

Sun, beach, hot chicks, crazy low prices.

Comment

• Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
      I'm not sure I understand your math. Rather, I am sure I don't understand it. is that $349k annual gross? Is that $150k annual expense? If annual expense, is it conceivable to imagine someone expending $30k annually? If so, that person would need 1/5th of the investment sum of someone spending $150k annually. If I am following your math (and I am not sure at all that I am), then 1/5th of $3.5mm is $700k. 1/5th of $4mm is $800k. (Now, I admit that I would rather have a $500k additional buffer than a buffer 1/5th that size)
      That 349k is what I'll gross over the course of the next decade. 3.5 million allows me to pay my bills for those decades assuming NO investing of it and assuming moderate inflation and a little added in for unforeseen expenses. This year my salary was 29600 USD. Next year it will be 3.1% more, it's very very very rare to get a 3.1% increase at work, usually they don't let you get more than mid 2% (it's not cost of living, it's based on your performance and they set the range 0-4%, no one has ever come close to 4%, ever), in a a decade assuming a 3% increase I'll have reached the ceiling of my paygrade. As it is now on that 29.6k I bring home about 1700 a month after taxes and insurance with the exception of when a few Chinese holidays happen and we have a drastic reduction in inbound freight with China essentially shutting down for those holidays... during those periods they usually send us home no pay.

Assuming I have no spouse and no kids and live life alone, I'd need 3.5 million to feel comfortable ceasing to work today. This is likely to not be enough assuming no investing.
      -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
        That 349k is what I'll gross over the course of the next decade. 3.5 million allows me to pay my bills for those decades assuming NO investing of it and assuming moderate inflation and a little added in for unforeseen expenses. This year my salary was 29600 USD. Next year it will be 3.1% more, it's very very very rare to get a 3.1% increase at work, usually they don't let you get more than mid 2% (it's not cost of living, it's based on your performance and they set the range 0-4%, no one has ever come close to 4%, ever), in a a decade assuming a 3% increase I'll have reached the ceiling of my paygrade. As it is now on that 29.6k I bring home about 1700 a month after taxes and insurance with the exception of when a few Chinese holidays happen and we have a drastic reduction in inbound freight with China essentially shutting down for those holidays... during those periods they usually send us home no pay.

Assuming I have no spouse and no kids and live life alone, I'd need 3.5 million to feel comfortable ceasing to work today. This is likely to not be enough assuming no investing.
        Thanks for the clarification. I hope the new year brings good fortune, that your blog accelerates and your e-biz soars. All will be vital to reach your financial goals.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I hope the new year brings good fortune, that your blog accelerates and your e-biz soars. All will be vital to reach your financial goals.
          While I don't want to work any longer than I have to, I don't ever want to retire either I'd go insane. Taking a week off of work just about kills me, by the 2nd day suicide sounds like a good cure to the boredom. A job came up at my church last Friday that I'm actually trying to get right now. My blog is more just for me to rant about whatever for the past 13 years heh. My side business is just to get my car note and student loan gone, I'm not to keen on it and as soon as they are gone I'm probably shutting it down as I've found I absolutely hate customers haha.
          -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

• I can't imagine not working either, because I love my work!

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
              I can't imagine not working either, because I love my work!
              I can't imagine being idle. I can imagine changing from a 9-5 to something very different.

Comment

• There are so many things I love doing but when I do them for money, the joy disappears.
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
                  with the exception of when a few Chinese holidays happen and we have a drastic reduction in inbound freight with China essentially shutting down for those holidays... during those periods they usually send us home no pay.
                  Off topic, but we will be in China for Lunar New Year partying!! Year of the wood horse!

Comment

• Retirement is the freedom to do whatever the heck you want whenever the heck you want. Employment is when you have to do the same thing, go sit in the same little room every damn day whether there's anything to do or not.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I can't imagine being idle. I can imagine changing from a 9-5 to something very different.
                      For sure. My work isn't 9-5, though, and I love both the business and the client-facing (teaching) side of it.

What my retirement/success/wealth will do is provide me the option of when and how much to do things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                        There are so many things I love doing but when I do them for money, the joy disappears.
                        this can be very true.
                        Annie Ups the Ante
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Working...
                        X