The insanity of our disposable way of life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think George Carlin pretty well summed it up:

And it is George Carlin, he used bad words. Get over it.

Merry Christmas ho ho ho!

It just seems to me...seems to me... that only a really low I.Q. population could've taken this beautiful continent, this magnificent American landscape that we inherited.... well, actually we stole it from the Mexicans and the Indians, but... hey... it was nice when we stole it.

It looked pretty good.

It was.... pristine....

It was... Paradise...

Have you seen it lately? Have you taken a good look at it lately... It's FUCKING EMBARRASSING. Only a nation of unenlightened halfwits could've taken this beautiful place and turned it into what it is today.... A Shopping Mall. A BIG FUCKING SHOPPING MALL.

That's all we have here folks. That's all we've got left... Mile after mile of mall after mall; many, many malls. Major malls and mini-malls. They put the mini-malls in between the major malls. And in between the mini-malls they put the mini-marts. And in the between the mini-marts they put the car lots, gas stations, muffler shops, laundry mats, cheap hotels, fast-food joints, strip clubs, and dirty bookstores.

America the Beautiful. One big transcontinental commercial cesspool. And how do the people feel about all of this? How do the people feel about living in a transcontinental shopping mall? Well, they think it's JUST FUCKING DANDY!

People are gonna buy even more stupid shit. They don't have enough stupid shit at home. They just had a stupid shit sale and they gotta buy more. Then they're going to have to go out to the parking lot and stuff this stuff in their big, fat, ugly oversized SUV that's got plenty of room in it. Plenty of room in it for more stupid shit. And lots of room left over for these big, fat, ugly motherfuckers to get them home. Stopping on the way of course, for jelly rolls and fried dough.

These people are efficient professional compulsive consumers. They practice at their art. It's their civic duty, consumption. It's the new national pastime. Fuck baseball. It's consumption. The only true lasting American value that's left...buying things. Buying things, people spending money they don't have on things they don't need. Money they don't have on things they don't need. So they can max out their credit cards and spend the rest of their lives paying 18 percent interest on something that costs $12.50 that they didn't really like when they got it home anyway.
    ~ George Carlin

Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

They don't have enough stupid shit at home. They just had a stupid shit sale and they gotta buy more.
      That pretty much sums it up.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

We do live in this very disposable society, and it really bugs me !!!!!! Pregnant - hey you can get rid of it, marriage - hey you can annul it, buy shit, hey you can dispose of it..........sorry people - but it really does bug me
        "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
          That pretty much sums it up.
          So does this video

Randal
          AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
          Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
          http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
            So does this video

I'm an old hippie. Trendy shit makes my ass hurt. I've owned exactly one cell phone ever and that was a prepaid one I got for a 2000 mile trip in an 18 year old car. I don't feel deprived in the least.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Joanie, my car's the same age as yours and my phone is a flip top, prepaid too! I only use my phone when I travel. Thankfully our 15 yr old isn't into the trendy phones either. If he goes somewhere we send the same flip top phone with him. I will not be a slave to consumerism, working away my life for stupid junk I don't need and ruining the earth in the process.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                Joanie, my car's the same age as yours and my phone is a flip top, prepaid too! I only use my phone when I travel. Thankfully our 15 yr old isn't into the trendy phones either. If he goes somewhere we send the same flip top phone with him. I will not be a slave to consumerism, working away my life for stupid junk I don't need and ruining the earth in the process.
                ...But the new iPhone is faster. It means I can make a duck face and post it to Facebook for lolz 0.22 seconds faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                  Birds of a feather. I always forget if my car is a '92 or '94, but when I drove here from the left coast, I remember it was shy of 20 years.

Give me a cell phone that will wash my floors, and I'll sign up.

B*tch-lite

Comment

My car is a 1988 Mazda with over 300k on it, a little white stick-shift that is indestructible. The truck is a 1991 GMC Sierra....motorcycle is a 1967 Harley All Black. My woodstove is the winner though, manufactured in 1938. It is astonishingly hot and efficient.

I have a policy that everything made prior to about 1995 is drastically better than stuff made now. I have no data to support this, but all of my friends with newer vehicles spend a lot more repairs than I do
                    "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

I drive a '95 Toyota Camry that I paid 500 dollars for. Before that, was a '92 Honda Prelude. Loved that car.
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

Capitalism isn't the problem. Rampant Consumerism is the problem.
                        52 year old Male
                        Goal: 185lbs
                        April 10th: 220lbs

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          This is absolutely insane to me. I have an ipod touch that is less than 2 years old the battery inside is dead and it cannot be repaired. I'm expected to simply throw it away.
                          This is one reason I do not buy Apple products anymore. They build in obsolescence at the expense of the environment to fatten their bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoPenn View Post
                            Capitalism isn't the problem. Rampant Consumerism is the problem.
                            That's pretty true. There's even a joking term called "Retail Therapy."

B*tch-lite

Comment

We live in a resource rich environment with a caveman's sense of deprivation, so we continue to hoard well beyond the point needed to sustain our lives. Our human thought process is falling far behind our technological evolution, even though the latter is not fairing well either due to this. Why innovate, when you can create a bigger touch screen and rehash the same product that gullible sheep will continue to buy? Human beings shape their identity on brand names, and propaganda is bled through to them that makes them feel as if they're not as cool, hip, sexy, trendy, and various other buzzwords enough unless they have x pointless outsourced product.

Also, the need for these belongings is taking away reason because the one who is thrifty does not feed into the capitalist market, so, people spend money they don't even have and amass debt that they must become slaves to repay. Even education is like this.

When we have meat before us and other food, we must say to ourselves: “This is the dead body of a fish, and this is the dead body of a bird or of a pig, and again, this Falernian [wine] is only a little grape juice, and this purple robe some sheep’s wool died with the blood of a shellfish” … so that we see what kinds of things they are. This is how we should act throughout life: where there are things that seem worthy of great estimation, we ought to lay them bare and look at their worthlessness and strip them of all the words by which they are exalted. For the outward show [of things] is a wonderful perverter of reason, and when we are certain the things we are dealing with are worth the trouble, that is when it cheats us most
                              -Marcus Aurelius
                              Last edited by Derpamix; 12-08-2013, 12:01 PM.
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
                                ....motorcycle is a 1967 Harley All Black.
                                okay Laz, a photo on that 'All Black' Harley in your 'All Black' leather gear - or it didn't happen !!!!!!!!!!!!
                                ******just so you can indulge a couple of old cougars******
                                "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Working...
                                X