Not turning on the heat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not turning on the heat

We are trying to see how long we can go without turning on the heat. Granted I'm in So Cal so it's not like flirting with death to leave the heat off, but it's starting to get uncomfortable. I ride a motorcycle and if I get chilled out riding and then come home to a cold house, it can take a long time to warm up again. I have a fancy sleeping bag that has a hole in the center to put your head through and wear like a down poncho so now I;m sitting around in that. Things are getting pretty ridiculous here. Does anybody else do crazy stuff like this? Sit in the dark? Keep the heat off? Cold showers not for health reasons?
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Not me. I definitely enjoy creature comforts like heat and light. Its definitely too cold to go without heat here, but we use our woodstoves to heat the house.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

Way too cold in Alberta to keep the heat off, but I am a no lights kind of person. After I make dinner I usually shut off the lights and they stay off until the next day when I make dinner again. For some reason having lights on inside when it's dark outside makes me uncomfortable!

Comment

I live in the southern U.S. and when I lived alone (in Georgia) I never turned on the heat. Since I married, I turn on the heat, but we still keep it pretty cool (60F lately). I still usually turn it off during the day when I am home alone or if I am gone from the house. If I get too cold, I use a space heater since it is so much more efficient.

I find that overhydrating can make me feel really cold. Adding a tiny pinch of salt to water seems to help some. That and just not drinking more than I am thirsty for.

Comment

Originally posted by lotusberries View Post
          Way too cold in Alberta to keep the heat off, but I am a no lights kind of person. After I make dinner I usually shut off the lights and they stay off until the next day when I make dinner again. For some reason having lights on inside when it's dark outside makes me uncomfortable!
          I'm in Alberta too... If you don't have the heat on right now you're asking for busted water pipes. I'm wearing a sweater at my desk and I'm still cold. C'est la vie.
          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

I like my heat.

I grew up in a drafty farm house that just had a wood burning stove for heat and was never warm in the winter. Now, I don't mind wearing warm clothes inside but I am never cold if I can help it. Plus I have an older dog with arthritis and he gets achy if it is too cold. It was well below freezing here this morning, which is unusual for us, so the heat has been going non-stop this morning.

Comment

Wear a hat Diane, we lose so much heat through our head its unreal, or a headband!!!!!!
              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                I'm in Alberta too... If you don't have the heat on right now you're asking for busted water pipes. I'm wearing a sweater at my desk and I'm still cold. C'est la vie.
                At night my furnace is set at 15C, and the night before last my furnace ran all night long. That wind just sucked all the heat out of the house. It's better now, but I still find myself under a blanket every time I sit down for any length of time.

Comment

I live in Massachusetts. I grew up in a cold, old house and learned to wear thick socks and/or slippers, as well as scarves, hats, and sweatshirts. Now, in my own apartment, we keep the heat no higher than 65F while we're home, around 60 when we're out during the day, and lower it to 50 overnight, since we are bundled up in blankets & that's enough for the water to not freeze at least. We do all this to keep the heating costs low (gas, heating water for steam radiators; tons cheaper than oil). The cat is good at finding warm spots to sleep, so we don't have to worry about her.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

Back when I was still living alone I had the heat set to 62 in the winter, and was never cold. My boyfriend has cold hands and feet, so the heat is up to 68 during the day now.

Comment

I tried to do this.

The Wifey was not happy.

Thus the Project ends.

M.

Comment

I am very cautious with the heat. We only up it like 0,5C and lower it at night again.
                        Light I keep it off as long as it's possible.

When we go to bed I pull out all plugs except for the fridge and freezer.
                        My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          Does anybody else do crazy stuff like this? Sit in the dark? Keep the heat off? Cold showers not for health reasons?
                          Um.....Yes

I think I had a simple evolution when I bought my current house.....I bought the land, got a very deep well dug, a woodstove; so when I first moved in I literally had a wooden box with 3 rooms in it, about 650 sq feet of cabin. I had no warm water, no legit shower, no dishwasher, no lights, of course no TV or internet. I had a simple plan:

Bring things in only as you need them. The things you own, own you in return.... Only this way would I learn what was TRULY essential, and in the end I would have a ton more fulfillment and my own time. I learned that a solar shower was fine as a backup, but meant taking ice water showers about 1/4 of the time....I also realized that cooking with just the woodstove could be very time consuming, so to kill these two I bought a propane tank with water heater and gas stove.

- I learned that NO lights is bad, so I started collecting oil lamps at antique shops. I now use these after dark, and with enough of them I can go from very bright to just dim enough to walk across the room.
                          - I learned that washing my clothes with cold water and plunger system, then hanging them in front of the stove did not clean them as well as I need (I wear a shirt and tie to work), and that without a clothes washer I would be spending time at a laundromat instead.....seeing as this sacrifice directly affects quality of life (sitting in a dingy laundromat vs out doing awesome stuff), I bought an electric washer. I still hang dry everything.
                          - Seeing as the above required some electricity, I also noticed that I was not able to communicate at all from home. I was having to go up the my library (not that close) to do any work or communicate with patients, and again, this was directly affecting quality of life.....so I installed solar, just a few panels with golf cart batteries to hold the charge, to run my sat internet and washer once a week.

I think that being cold occasionally, having "chores" to do, within reason, is a natural thing that we are programmed to do. When you take ALL of this away, as most modern Americans do, it does something to a person that is overall negative. In general, it makes people lose perspective, connectedness to their surroundings, appreciation of people, and gradually turns a lot of people into hypersensitive "special snowflakes" that require constant maintenance of their comfort, now disguised as happiness fraudulently.

"There wasn't any limit, no boundary at all, to the future. And it would be so a man wouldn't have room to store his happiness." John Steinbeck, East of Eden
                          "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Wow, I'm wishing I had the luxury of making that choice--the heat is out where I am now. I'm in Cali as well, so, yah, not life threatening or anything, but it is 45 degrees outside and heat would be really nice right now. Tho a hot shower and hot breakfast made me warm for quite awhile this morning, and the flannel lounge wear helps too. Beginning to get uncomfortably cold at this point, tho.
                            My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
                            (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
                            Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
                            (Red Dwarf)

Comment

That's great Lazarus.

Living with a partner of course there is compromise; we have gas powered central heating but we don't have a timer or thermostat; it gets switched on when the house gets too cold for comfort. It is often just around 10 degrees C inside during the winter. I do turn it on when I have clients in, I will admit!

Yes that is an interesting idea about having chores. If it is not raining I hang my bedding out on the line to air every morning and it feels like a chore (but so invigorating!) to carry it straight out as soon as I get up, before even getting dressed or anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X