McDonald's hits a new low

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonald's hits a new low

I learn from this morning's Metro that McDonald's customers have been upset by the "restaurant" playing a rap "song" in which a sex offender is forcibly sodomised in jail.

I learned this sitting in a small privately-owned & very friendly coffee shop. There was something by Elgar playing softly in the background.

I can't help feeling that McDonald's has finally found its appropriate background music: the dregs of the industrialised, exploitative, never mind the quality food-system meets the dregs of the industrialised, exploitative, never mind the quality "music"-system.

McDonald's has finally found its own level.

By the way, maybe I need a new pair of glasses but it looked to me like Metro had printed a sample of the lyrics that read: "them guys are giving me Ada."

The perils of spellcheckers ...

Comment

Eh. I don't really find that any more degenerate or offensive than playing the latest Miley Cyrus/over sexualised crap thats played on the radio.
      http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

That's why I don't listen to the hits that are coming out these days... I'm perfectly happy with my little group of favorite bands

oh and I don't go to McDonald either. Haven't been there in a year or more
        My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

That's quite a pretentious thing to say..

Comment

The only redeeming quality I've ever found about McD's is that when you're on the road, it's fairly certain their bathrooms will be clean enough to use. So, I guess that's a service. If I had to guess at the last time I ate anything there, I'm guessing around... maybe 1983. Which doesn't make me particularly pretentious as I did occasionally grab a bite from Subway or Arby's. There was just something about getting ground meat products from fast food places that didn't sit well with me.

As a note, McD is a franchise situation, so that kind of music was most likely allowed by whatever 17 year old "manager" was on duty at the time. Or maybe they have a play list and they're oblivious at the corporate level. Either way, it was poor judgement for a business that wants to attract families.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

That must be a single store, because the McDonalds here do not play music.
              -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

More offensive to me was the news report regarding their website advice to employees having difficult making ends meet on their poor salaries:

"Eat smaller meals and sell your Christmas presents on E-Bay".

Not only is their food suspect, but I don't deal with business rotten at their heart.
                Starting Weight: 197.5
                Current Weight: 123
                Far healthier!

Comment

Music to ruin your health by. How fitting.
                  52 year old Male
                  Goal: 185lbs
                  April 10th: 220lbs

Comment

Originally posted by janie View Post
                    More offensive to me was the news report regarding their website advice to employees having difficult making ends meet on their poor salaries:

"Eat smaller meals and sell your Christmas presents on E-Bay".

Not only is their food suspect, but I don't deal with business rotten at their heart.
                    Yeah... that was awesome as is the food drive by WalMart employees for WalMart employees.

If I worked at McDonald's I'd probably want to play angry music too. I worked there as a teen and it was shitty then. No regular schedules (so no, you can't have a second job), they always sent the "career" people home early because they made $.50 more per hour, they made employees throw food out (so they could not take their kids a meal). Oh yeah, and customers that would have regular freak outs about such things as not being able to choose the happy meal toy. Frankly, I'm surprised more McD employees don't go postal.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I ate at McDonald's a few years ago. I was surprised that the food was pretty good. I think it's silly people are upset over the music played. I mean, it was probably a situation where the manager went home and the employees switched the music to something they liked. We used to do that all the time when I once worked at a restaurant. What should get people upset are the poor salaries and benefits. If we as a society are going to replace good-paying manufacturing jobs with this type of work we ought to at least allow people to make a decent living at it.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Eh, I get wanting to play your music, but lyrics about sodomy are a bit intense. Ultimately, McDonald's is in the service business, which means customers comfort and satisfaction should come before employee music taste and really aggressive rap with lyrics about sodomy doesn't sound family friendly or pleasant to listen to at dinner. It is, in the end, a family friendly dining establishment and not some hip coffee shop or edgy club; customers expect being able to bring in kids and not have to cover their ears.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                          Eh, I get wanting to play your music, but lyrics about sodomy are a bit intense. Ultimately, McDonald's is in the service business, which means customers comfort and satisfaction should come before employee music taste and really aggressive rap with lyrics about sodomy doesn't sound family friendly or pleasant to listen to at dinner. It is, in the end, a family friendly dining establishment and not some hip coffee shop or edgy club; customers expect being able to bring in kids and not have to cover their ears.
                          Ha ha you have never been a teen/20-something working in a restaurant.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                            I've never known you to be redundant.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
                              That's quite a pretentious thing to say..
                              If you think that, then you're a fool and don't even understand what the thread's about.

Of course, here the Welsh have reaped what they sowed. They could have gone to local family-run businesses, put their money back into the community, and eaten bacon from locally reared pigs, and some new laid eggs, and maybe some of those Welsh-cakes (as their 20% if they're Paleo).

But they prefer to pay less. So they end up eating food-like substances and suddenly realise they don't like also being surrounded by a "music"-like din that is also obscene.

But why not expect that? It's the perfect accompaniment.

What did they expect? Traditional Welsh harp music? the Treorchy Male Voice choir? Katherine Jenkins?

As for you well, if you don't care about decency and what people including, one notes, toddlers might be exposed to, why don't you just crawl back into the gutter?

And as for the press asking for the rapper's opinion, as well ask a cockroach for an opinion on the state of the kitchens! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X