No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving Poll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't have thanksgiving in Denmark, but I usually celebrate it with some American friends who do celebrate. I don't think I'll be able to this year, because I'm working the 3-11pm shift at work.

Comment

With my darling but SAD family, and I am the cook!! They will get all the fixin's, I have done a Paleo TGing in the past, and it didn't go well, mainly because my family is picky (the kids) or set in their ways (the In-Laws), or don't have their own teeth (a few, but not me or the kids).

I found a great recipe for stuffing with walnuts and ground beef, but I am the only one who will eat it, so I will cut the recipe into 1/4th and just make for me, the others will get Stove Top stuffing.

On the plus side, I can get a smaller turkey this year, so my 2 hour cooking recipe will only take 2 hours, instead of 3 +.

Comment

I start with the basic raw ingredients every year: turkey, cranberries, sweet potatoes, corn, potatoes, fish, herbs from my herb garden, and a few others. Then I try to make a new recipe every year for each, just so I don't get bored. One year the turkey was traditional roast, another it was deep-fried, another disjointed and served hotel-style breast (which pissed off my dad to no end that year), and one particularly hard (schedule-wise) year, it was the most awesome turkey sandwich board you have ever seen.

But the perennial must-haves: pumpkin pie (all of us), great-Grandma's apple pie (actually won a fair once way back when in Grandma's heyday), mashed potatoes (kids), buttered corn (kids), homemade cranberry sauce (food milled - no skins, me), and a stuffing recipe from The Silver Palate Cookbook that combines Grand Marnier-soaked apricots with herbs and pork sausage and more Grand Marnier sprinkled through and pine nuts (most definitely me)...
        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Starting out with a Turkey Day 5k with my son, daughter and granddaughter, followed by a lot of cooking with my mostly wonderful family. Unless the one Sister-in-law and her kids show up, in which case it will be more dreadful.
          My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

Just me & DH, and while I'll likely be cooking, it won't be a turkey (too big!) I'm thinking an acorn squash soup, perhaps wild salmon or a pastured chicken roasted w/pesto, and a pumpkin tart laced w/Calvados. Or maybe I'll be lazy and make some reservations............
            Starting Weight: 197.5
            Current Weight: 123
            Far healthier!

Comment

Interesting results.

I'm hoping these are skewed a little more toward the last option here as I plan on going to the Quarter with no plan except to wander around and check out different bars or clubs. I'm always invited to Thanksgiving since I moved here, but it always involves many young children, and being trapped in someone else's home with many small children is one of my mini-nightmares.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I'll do my normal volunteer shift that morning, then stick around for the noon potluck, attended by the skeleton crew of essential staff and any other volunteers who decide to show up (and quite a few of them do). The food is generally terrible, or simply stuff I can't eat, but the company is good and I look forward to it every year. I don't know what food I'm taking yet.

In the afternoon, I'll come home and paint while waiting for my duck to cook. I'm not yet sure what else I will eat besides the duck, or if I will bother with anything else at all. I'll also roast a couple of turkey breasts for the cats, so they will leave me alone while I eat said duck. I've been known to devour an entire duck without benefit of plate, utensils, or side dishes; it could very well be one of those years.

I've been invited to a couple of holiday dinners by friends, but one has a nasty sow of a mother who (for reasons not fully made clear) has a raging hateboner for me, and the other gathering will include a horde of small children. So I'm okay with flying solo for the evening.

On Saturday, I'll drive up north to see my mom; she's making a pork roast, and we'll gossip and talk about our respective art projects while my stepdad yells at the TV.

Comment

Starting the day with a 5k and then heading up north to eat out with family. It'll be a bit off not doing the turkey at home thing but health stuff has made the parents decide they want to eat out instead of having anyone over.
                  Every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value --Winnie Dalley

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

2 of my kids will be home, and a friend is joining us. We'll have:
                    Turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberries
                    Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, homemade pineapple rolls
                    Brussel sprouts with bacon
                    Corn casserole
                    Peas with pearl onions, carrots in dill
                    Creamed spinach
                    Ham

And then... PIE!

We have a pie party the day after Thanksgiving. This year we will have upwards of twenty different pies. But on Thanksgiving we usually have pumpkin and or apple pie, served with cream, vanilla ice cream, or Cool Whip (just my Honey, he loves it on pumpkin pie).

We'll eat early, then lounge around and play board and card games until we are hungry enough for...
                    Turkey sandwiches!

The (almost) perfect day(Just missing Eldest).

Comment

Working...
                    X