Christmas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MsSmith View Post
    I have explained to my daughter about the story of Santa Claus and Jesus' birth and I think she understands that gifts she receives at Christmas are representative of the gifts given to baby Jesus, and are not from Santa Claus.
    You know St. Nicolas is Santa right? He was a real person that lived in Turkey. He was given a saint status by the church. He gave gifts & money to the poor.
    When asked if Santa is real I have told my children he was & people give gifts in his name to continue his generosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannakb View Post
      You know St. Nicolas is Santa right? He was a real person that lived in Turkey. He was given a saint status by the church. He gave gifts & money to the poor.
      When asked if Santa is real I have told my children he was & people give gifts in his name to continue his generosity.
      Santa has been grown from a variety of different cultures and traditions. He's not exclusively based from St. Nicholas.
      Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
        Santa has been grown from a variety of different cultures and traditions. He's not exclusively based from St. Nicholas.
        Yes, Sweden has Jul Tomte and that is a gnome, not a saint.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post

I don't even know what to say to that.
          Wordless pity is appropriate I think.
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

At this point I have so much clutter I'd rather skip all the gift stuff. I'd love to go out for dinner or something.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Ok I know a bit early for some (I'm in Australia, no Thanksgiving & not to many do Halloween).
              Part of a conversation with another mother:
              This was on Facebook for Christmas ideas: something they want
              Something they need
              Something to wear
              Something to read.
              Me: that's heaps
              OM (slightly shocked): it's only 4 presents! I'm not happy unless there's at least 10 each.

Umm, am I the only one out there that thinks Christmas isn't all about presents?
              How many is too many?
              I'm not anti presents or anything like that, I just think that most children these days are given way to much.
              I have to admit, I kind of like that little list. Something they want is pure indulgence. Something they need might be something the kids really don't want, like socks, but the parents know they need it. Something to wear can edge into something they need, but you could get them something that's pretty too. And something to read encourages reading. We want that, right?

I would just add 'something to eat'. In my family Christmas was never complete without a box of chocolates. XD
              Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Walking in to Walmart to evening to buy my grass fed beef (seriously, Jones Creek Ranch), a convenient and noticeable sign hanging in the lobby informed the patrons that only a mere 40 days remain before consumas has arrived. I see this as good news! For December 25th is the first day where the sun is noticed to be rising slightly up from the horizon from it's solstice position, at noon. Gift giving? Nothing compared to the knowledge that we're not that far off from the solstice, and soon it will be swinging good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_H View Post
                  Walking in to Walmart to evening to buy my grass fed beef (seriously, Jones Creek Ranch), a convenient and noticeable sign hanging in the lobby informed the patrons that only a mere 40 days remain before consumas has arrived. I see this as good news! For December 25th is the first day where the sun is noticed to be rising slightly up from the horizon from it's solstice position, at noon. Gift giving? Nothing compared to the knowledge that we're not that far off from the solstice, and soon it will be swinging good times.
                  Halfway through the dark woohoo!

Now that I'm in this thread I might as well talk; I like the little list/poem. I got a fair amount (I guess not compared to kids now or even most of my friends then, but my parents managed money and purchases well, so the kids always got stuff) of gifts, but 90% I feel ashamed to say I didn't want. I HATE clutter with all the passion of someone who gets mini anxiety attacks and cleans work because I can't stand it anymore.

I'd much rather have one thing I really want or need or nothing at all than feel like someone spent a ton of money for me to hide it in a closet for a year before I feel I can give it to Goodwill.

I still freaking love Christmas though, but mostly just because between thanksgiving and then is the only time people are reminded to be compassionate and good spirited and generous.

That said, I'm not completely immaterial. The best presents I ever got were all in the last few years: a down comforter, a down jacket/liner, and a Bose sound dock. Ggg awesome *ing presents. I did the Korean thing and bought my parents meat from US Wellness haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_H View Post
                    For December 25th is the first day where the sun is noticed to be rising slightly up from the horizon from it's solstice position, at noon. Gift giving? Nothing compared to the knowledge that we're not that far off from the solstice, and soon it will be swinging good times.
                    Im in Australia. Sun gods dying here.

Comment

Im in Australia. Sun gods dying here.
                      Be a rebel, celebrate the Solstice.

Comment

I love Christmas because, here in Scotland, we are far enough North that the turning of the year is really visceral and special. We have a big South-facing window and when we can we have a huge real christmas tree with real candles on it, and it is really awesome to have the midwinter sun streaming in to the back of the room, and then light all the candles as it gets dark.

As for gifts, I love the feasting / indulgence / rich eating traditions. We give each other gifts of luxury foodstuffs that we normally can't afford, like really good wine, artisan cheeses, we get in venison steaks, etc. Mostly the higher quality luxury versions of what we usually eat!

I have been training up my family to give good edible gifts as well. There's also the benefit that if you don't want to eat them you can pass them on, so if we get luxury biscuits they get re-wrapped and given to the neighbours.

Comment

Christmas

Haha. Not to perpetuate a stereotype or anything but i always got a new backpack and new fancy pencilbox on Christmas along with a lecture on success and studying hard. XD

Yep I got a lecture on Christmas. No wonder I don't really care much for it.

My siblings get 1 item each. For brother it is usually a video game and for sis it is usually some girly toy set. I think they both chose the skiing trip in lieu of a real present this year though. I am going on the skiing trip as well so I suppose I am getting a Christmas present for once.

I personally hate all materialistic holidays: valentine's, Xmas, etc. If I cared about someone I would pick up little and big things for him or her throughout the year. I don't need a commercial holiday to show I care. I like to make people I care about feel loved and feel special every day. I am not Christian but I feel like Christmas has been bastardized beyond recognition and should be focused more on birth, new beginnings, love, and spirituality.

I take my siblings' bdays super seriously though. sister and I will be wearing matching tutus and tiaras and cruising around town doing her favorite things. Brother always gets to go to the videogame store to pick out his favorite game and we go eat tons of cheesecake and ice cream after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          ------
                          HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Yes, that is included in my story of Santa, Jesus, and Christmas.
                            Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
                            Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
                            Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
                            Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
                            1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
                            GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                            CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
                            49 - 5'7.5"
                            Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                              I have to admit, I kind of like that little list. Something they want is pure indulgence. Something they need might be something the kids really don't want, like socks, but the parents know they need it. Something to wear can edge into something they need, but you could get them something that's pretty too. And something to read encourages reading. We want that, right?

I would just add 'something to eat'. In my family Christmas was never complete without a box of chocolates. XD
                              We always had an orange/tangerine and some walnuts (and other small items) in our stockings and I do that for my daughter now too. The stocking portion of Christmas morning makes her laugh more than anything else.
                              Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
                              Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
                              Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
                              Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
                              1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
                              GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                              CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
                              49 - 5'7.5"
                              Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

Our focus is mostly on experiences and traditions. December is probably the most hectic, to be honest.

Dec 1: wet on wet watercolor painting for our decoration making.
                                Dec 2-6: decorating the house.
                                Dec 6: feast of St Nicholas -- making ginger star cookies, gathering oranges and candy canes: we place these outside of each of our neighbor's doors overnight.
                                Dec 7: prep for bodhi day (make a paper bodhi tree, telling the story of the buddha, leaving off his enlightenment; make bodhi leaf cookies)
                                Dec 8: Bodhi Day (day of buddha's enlightenment) -- morning tea time -- finish story of enlightenment. light candles (enlightenment, buddha, darma and sangha candles), have warm milk, rice balls, tea and cookies
                                Dec 9-13: several different events set up for the family including going to a particular holiday market (like an austrian christmas market);
                                Dec 13: travel to firebird festival location;
                                Dec 14: Firebird Festival -- awesomeness;
                                Dec 15: Longwood Gardens decorations, carol singing, etc;
                                Dec 16-20: food prep for
                                Dec 21/22: Yule/Jul -- this year, Jul will be celebrated with my whole family. It's typically a Jul log (large, fat stick with votive candles around it), talk about the longest night. Am -- early morning walk before sunrise, hot vanilla (milk, vanilla, cinnamon) from the thermos, and then back home and we typically go back to sleep for a few hours. Then we plant seeds in the windows for early spring herbs and stuff.
                                Dec 24/25/26: Christmas/boxing day -- we're doing this low-key at home with a special meal and some movies and other activities around rest and relaxation.
                                Dec 27-29: my ILs visit for the weekend -- we celebrate christmas with them on this weekend;
                                Dec 31: New Years Eve -- noon countdown PJ party (hopefully with some kids from school);
                                Jan 1: NY Day -- special good-luck/new-years meal.

My son receives gifts from grandparents -- usually toys. On average, 4 toys a season. I usually ask for consumable ones -- like art supplies and such -- and then more lego is usually his top pick.

We typically buy him books as his christmas gift, which we open when there's no family around. He opens gifts when my family is here for their weekend, then again when my ILs are here. And so then we pick another time for gifts. This way, he's less over-stimulated all at once, and he can quietly enjoy his gifts over time. It works out.
                                Last edited by zoebird; 11-18-2013, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X